1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wiring information - 1982 Maxim xj750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ksavage, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

Hey guys! I just want to start by saying thank you for all the info I have read by lurking in the background. I now have an issue on my hands thats got me scratching my head. I picked up a stock xj750 and it started up just fine absolutely nothing wrong, but I was tearing it apart and I was very carful with the wiring, but that I have it back together, the headlight, fog light, and the start button doesn't work. I've replaced the fuse box with a new updated one and all the fuses are fine.

Side note: I took the cluster off because I am waiting for an aftermarket speedo to come in the mail.

Am I missing something? Do I need that huge cluster to make everything work?

Thanks guys! Here is a progress picture.

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

3. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

Excuse me for this question, but is the ATARI the thing in the black box in the middle of the cluster?

4. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

The "Atari" is the computer that, as K-Moe mentioned, monitors the various sensors on the bike (fuel, battery voltage, oil level, etc). It does indeed display its findings on the LCD screen between the gauges.

5. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

Awesome, but what would cause the start button to not work? have anything to do with the Atari?

6. k-moe

The safety relay that keeps the bike from being started when certian conditions aren't met is part of the circuit that is connested to the sidestand switch. The systems monitor (ATARI) monitors the sidestand switch and displays a warning when it is in the down position with the engone running. Without the systems monitor in place, the safety relay can't get a signal from the sidestand switch, and the starter becomes inoperative.

7. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

So here is a little update. something is still not working right. I have everything hooked up and connected, but still no headlight or fog. I connected the ATARI just to get a connection, but nothing. I added a few pictures to show. I got the tail light working just fine, neutral light it on, but no start or front lights. Any ides why?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Many signals do route through the Atari, however the auxiliary light, start switch, and kill switch located on the right control do not.

The start switch for the Maxim is dual purpose. When depressed it grounds one side of the starter solenoid relay coil. However, for the starter solenoid to engage and apply power to the starter, the starter cutoff relay must be energized, which occurs either through the neutral switch or a combination of clutch and side stand switch via steering diodes for the low side of the relay coil, and power via the kill switch for the high side of the relay coil.

The second function of the start switch is to open a set of normally closed contacts when the switch is depressed to turn off the headlight when applying power to the starter to reduce the load on the battery. The headlight (not Aux) power out of the start switch does route through the Atari after passing through the Hi/Lo switch on the left control, and if you remove the Atari the wire modification noted earlier would need to be done to enable the headlight and some other circuits.

With multiple failures on the right control cluster, it almost appears that it is not even connected or not connected correctly. Your original photo shows non-stock handlebars - did you add those and if so did you have to extend the wiring from the right and left control cluster?

There is a good how to in the XJ DIY How To Instructions to check out the starter circuit. If you use this please note the caution - bike in neutral before shorting across the solenoid to check the starter.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  9. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

WOW, that is very helpful! thank you! I did not have to extend anything when I put those handlebars on, I just unplugged everything and Hooked it all back up to their correct connectors. When I get home tonight I will go through everything and see if they are all connected correctly. I will post an update later tonight. This wiring is basically the only thing holding up the build. Everything had worked perfect before I unhooked everything. Thanks!

10. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

Little update: So the start button is working, but no Aux light or Main headlight. I failed to mention I removed the cluster on the left side where the light switch is and I just opened up the housing and took the hi/low switch out and mounted it to the frame since we don't require turn signals here and the horn is worthless anyway. Was there something with those wires that would mess something up if removed?

11. Rooster53

Start button working as is you can now engage the starter?

The Hi/Lo switch must be in place for the headlight to work, as well as the Atari until you modify the wiring. If you moved the switch there should be 3 wires that went with it. Blue/Black is the input to the Hi/Lo switch and should have 12V on it originating from the headlight fuse (key on) with functioning wiring and start switch normally closed contacts.

The Aux Light will use the same power but it is routed through the Aux Light switch with a 2 pin connector. Blue/Black 12v in, Red/Black 12V out with the switch set to on. The Red/Black from the 2 pin connector should route to the Aux Light carrying 12V, the other side of the Aux Light connector should tie to ground.

If the wiring is correct, the start switch normally closed contacts are common to both as well as wiring, and headlight fuse.

12. Rooster53

13. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

I am going to be attempting the cuts tonight and re wiring everything. I will keep everyone posted.

[​IMG]

14. Ted

Ted Member

sorry to post off-topic but how the hell can a guy even ride with those handlebars? I dig the unique, old-school look of them but, especially looking at the angle from that last picture, can't even imagine how a guy would ride that! I don't think my wrists could handle it! o_O

15. Ksavage

Ksavage Member

Everybody always gives me crap about them haha. I love the old look of 70s choppers so I bought these from a custom handlebar website. The rabbit ear bars aren't as bad as they look. They take some getting use to, but when I lean back and just cruise, they are super comfortable.

16. Tim

Tim New Member

I have a 1985 Yamaha XJ700. My gauges stopped working so I decided to go with the chopper look and remove them and relocated my ignition to under the side of my tank. Everything was a success besides now my headlight and electric start won't work. When I turn the key I'm getting power because my blinkers and tail light come on but no headlight and when I try to crank it it won't even try to turn over. Looking for some pointers. I'm thinking there's loss in connection from when I removed the gauges and the indicater. There was a small cluster which had fuses mounted in it. I wanted to do anyway with that tho. How could I do this. Maybe straight wire starter relay?

17. Tim

Tim New Member

18. MiM

MiM New Member

I just found this forum , and this topic. But I have same problem, head and aux lights wont work. blinkers, tail all works, only head and aux light plus instrument panel light is out.

19. k-moe

Start a thread for your bike. Include year and model, how long you've had it, what work has been done, and a description of your problem.