1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ 650 oil level?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kenk, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Kenk

Kenk New Member

What is the correct way to check the oil level in the site glass? Can it be checked while on the side stand?

2. KHUNDAN

KHUNDAN New Member

I cannot say for sure, but I can say that I have always checked and changed oil in my XJ750 while on the CENTER STAND. I believe this is the way to get a true reading.

If it's on the side stand then if you filled it up to the mark on the side cover, when you stood it upright then the level would be way above the marks...

Just me talking not sure..

On mine it has the amount of oil stamped on the side cover. Of course I have to add a little more than that as I have an oil cooler on my bike.

Hope this helps..

KHUNDAN

3. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    On many bikes you do it level with both wheels on the ground. If you read the manual it states - put it on the centerstand - keep it above the bottom, and below the top.. I aim for 3/4 on the site glass

4. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

If you check your oil on the sidestand you will overfill it. I had my engine filled to the top of the sight glass, and simply put it on the sidestand to change clutch plates without draining any oil.

5. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I guess what we're all saying is no - you can't check it on the sidestand.

When it is on it's side stand all of the oil is over on the right hand side... apparently it's over there far enough that MacMcMacmac was able to take the left hand side cover off ( which includes the oil level site window) and do clutch work without draining the oil...

If you filled it on the sidestand you'd probably have put in 5 jugs, and have it come out your air box... if it didn't come out the head gasket instead.