1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ wiring question

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by iokua1013, Sep 6, 2012.

1. iokua1013

iokua1013 New Member

I have an 1981 maxim 550 that I found in a barn this time last year. I got it running and everything was great until i decided to modify the tank mount which turned into pulling everything off the frame and completely repainting and building the bike. I wanted to create a minimal wiring system with only a headlight, dimmer switch, tail/brake light, and kill switch. I don't have a starter button because when I fixed the bike last year it didn't work so i just bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver to start the bike. Now the bike looks great and is put all back together but i have no spark. I have rechecked the wiring diagram and have read on some forums about the safety checks necessary, i.e. "The safety circuit consists of a sidestand switch, sidestand relay, neutral switch, clutch switch and the safety cutoff relay itself. Add in the "run" switch, the starter switch (the "button") and the ignition switch, and you're looking at two relays and six switches that could be the culprit. Plus the fusebox." I have rerun these and cut and spliced my way to frustration because as i retrace my steps i feel like I'm adding things i meant to cut out. I see my options as this. 1. Pull all the electrical, go online and order a completely new/used wiring harness and start over 2. Find a way to rewire the whole bike by hand or 3. find a way to bypass all the safety checks on this bike to complete this circuit and basically hot wire my bike. I have been researching and reading and as i understand it, wiring is the hardest part of building a bike so to that I am thankful that I am learning it now so in the future I can have a heads up on other projects. But I am lost and wondering if any of you have tried these options or been in a similar situation because i'm basically frustrated. Mahalo for your help

2. daybyday

daybyday Member

i want to set up the same way you do with just the basic nessesities wiring wise.. i hope some one has the answer cuz i want to learn off of this too.. good post

***81 SECA 750 Bobber project***

3. beerhound

beerhound Member

:oops: :oops: :oops: not sure if I'm the help you want but this is what I am using on my xj650

[​IMG]

4. iokua1013

iokua1013 New Member

And that diagram works for your 650? I don't have turn signals but I'm opening to looking at and learning about different ways to wire it because after today i'm a lil down about the project haha. thanks for posting that diagram

5. beerhound

beerhound Member

hehe we have to have indicators

6. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

No charging system and only one coil?

7. beerhound

beerhound Member

That is what I was given to work off

8. iokua1013

iokua1013 New Member

So I just rewired it using the minimal wiring diagram for xj's. My head light works, my tail light and brake light work but I'm still not getting spark when i try and start it up. Is this an indicator that my coils are shot or is there another way to check?

9. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

iokua1013 .. electrickery is not my forte but .. recently i wanted to run engine only -nothing else- on my 'new toy' without a wiring harness and used this
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3 ... art=0.html with only the relevant wiring, it would not run until i added positive from the battery into the Red White wire. Which solenoid, tci and coils have in common. However i don't know what that does to a whole sytsem

10. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that diagram should work, check your connections especially the grounds. the chances of two coils going bad at once are slim

12. iokua1013

iokua1013 New Member

So I just finished checking my connections and regrounding all my grounds. I think it is either my cdi box that is shot or my coils. I followed the diagram and like i said earlier everything else is working, lights, brake etc. but no spark. When I figure out how to post pictures i'll put some up