1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj550 transmission problem

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bobber550, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Bobber550

Bobber550 New Member

ok i had my bike hardtail rewire and completly redun i drove it before all the mods were done to it now i try to ride it and its like my transmission shifter isn't working right when i shift nown into first i have to pull it back up to the og postion. it acts like its not returning to the right spot it does this in every gear am i going to have to crack open the motor to fix this i don't understand how something likt this could happen durning all of the work done on it by the way its an 1981 yamaha seca xj550

2. Bobber550

Bobber550 New Member

PLEASE GUYS HELP ME

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

There are some springs in there that can break or come loose, I fear some invasive surgery will be required.

4. RPCVFR

RPCVFR Member

Ohhh welcome to the club i have just gotten done doing this!! Ok now i'm assuming you are talking about the shifter lever not returning to the center position when you perform a shift. If this is the case then the repair is not that hard but will require some tools.

Remove the chain side foot peg and shift lever now remove the chain cover. Best to clean up all the dirt oil and rocks that can hide in this spot after removal. Pull the nylon spacer and washer that rest on the shift shaft seal and clean away any dirt and crap that has built up. Keep everything in order and make sure you don't loose any parts!

Now on to the other side of the Bike. Remove the right side foot peg and disconnect the clutch cable. Drain the engine oil, remove the clutch cover. There are 2 dowel pins located in the cover that locate everything together. The gasket could be very stuck use a soft face hammer to "TAP" around the outside of the case. Don't pry the cover off with a screw driver this could damage the cover and the gasket surface.

Once the cover is removed you will see the outside of the clutch remove the 5, 6mm screws and clutch springs.

NOW please don't make the same mistake i made remove the clutch stack one plate at a time making notes about the orientation of the steel plates and the spring washer that is sandwiched in the stack. remove the large nut holding the center hub and remove both the hub and basket. remove the oil pump gear and circlip "this clip is easily over extended so be sure to only open it up as far as it is required to remove it"

Now looking down into the case you should be able to easly see the shift shaft return spring this is probably broken it is a round spring with 2 extensions then center the shift shaft on a peg that stick out from the transmission case that acts on the shaft to keep the drum lever centered. It will require some moving the drum lever and shaft but it pulls straight out of the case.

Disassemble the the shift shaft and replace the spring. There is an updated kit for this that has an adapter for the spring since Yamaha increased the diameter of the coil to probably keep the spring from failing again.

Good luck! i hope this helped BTW the clutch nut torque is 50.5 ft-lbs also check your engine drive gear nut mine was loose the torque for that nut is 36 ft-lbs

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Sounds about right. A service manual helps but the above is pretty much spot-on.

6. Bobber550

Bobber550 New Member

thanks so much i was thinking about buying a whole new motor glad its an easy fix you guys are great

7. RPCVFR

RPCVFR Member

Just curious did you get this fixed?

8. PureevoL

PureevoL New Member

love how easy you made it sound lol. ok you forgot to mention there is a gear you gotta take the screw out of before you can remove the shaft. ok that gear/sproket the screw was in have little pins just siting in it. i seem to be magically missing one. is this spossed to be missing one of these litle pins?