1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 carb fuel line routing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Hvnbnd, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Does anyone know the proper fuel line routing.
    My bike had no tank when I got it.
    There is a tee between the carbs where do these 3 tees/hoses connect.
    Is there a tee connecting all 3 lines together before they go to the petcock?

2. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

The tee between carbs 1 & 2 is the fuel line. The other tees are for overflow and should have fuel lines going down and under the bike. I am not sure of the correct routing on these but someone here will know!

3. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

I should make a note here, just in case ...
    On the MaximX (XJ700XN/S[C]) with Mikuni carbs it's the middle T for fuel supply. The two outside T's (between 1/2 and 3/4) are overflow outlets. If you're motivated, you can run fuel lines from the overflow T's down toward the ground. All of the T's pivot, so it's not an easy task to slide the fuel lines onto them. It's much easier with the carbs off the bike, but that's not a ton of fun either. In any event, it's said that warming the tubing makes it a little softer to push on ... I just put a little lube inside the tube and eventually I got the angle right to push on without spinning the T.

4. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Right now I have all 3 tees in the bottom ports and the crossover tubes in the top ports...

My carbs also have a vent hose from the top of each carb that drops down...

Do the tees between #1/#2 and #3/#4 carbs plug into the same ports as it does between #2/#3 carb?
    or do the cross over tubes go in the bottom ports and then the tees would go in the top ports on the outter carbs?
    The manuals don't show that little detail and when I pulled them apart I somehow missed that detail.

5. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

I'm not certain I can give you a definitive answer, since I'm not certain exactly which bike, or which carbs you have. I can however tell you how mine are set up; again, for the XJ700XN - Mikuni carbs:

The T between #2/#3, which is for fuel supply, is lower and further back then the other T's. On that exact same plane, between #1/#2 and #3/#4 there is only a straight connector to evenly distribute fuel to all the carbs. The T's between the outer carbs (1/2 & 3/4), which are for overflow, are slightly higher and more forward. When those T's are rotated back, they actually rest on the straight connectors.

You should be sure this information applies to you. :?

6. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

Thanks for the tip.
    That's just what I needed to know
    Mine is a 1985, XJ700 Maxim with Hitatchi Carbs but they are about the same in that area I believe.