1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ900 paint colors?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chacal, Apr 18, 2008.

1. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

In looking at some of the bikes on eBay, etc., it occurs to me that the XJ900 Seca model (1983 900RK model) was available in two different colors of red, is that correct? One color seems to be a sparkly, metallic red and the other is a non-metallic, fire-engine red color?

Anyone have any insights on this?

What other colors was this bike available in from Yamaha?

Thanks!

2. ronnie

ronnie Member

According to the brochure, the stateside Seca 900 was available in one color only. Canada had a white one and the UK had them in several colors.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I've heard the US got 2,500 of them, and another source recently said just 1,000. Considering 90% are probably wrecked, ruined, recycled and long gone, any ideas of how many are left?

And if I had 7 spares I'd be bug eyed and grinnin too !! :D

4. chacal

Thanks for the replies, guys.....

Hmmmmm.........well, the original parts books show a color "2U Super Red" for some of the XJ900 painted body parts (side covers, tanks, fairing, etc.) and then a code "63 Brilliant Red" for other body parts, and in the CURRENT parts books, some of the original "2U Super Red" parts were superceded to the #63 color.

The #63 color code is the same as an '81-2 750 Seca red, and as the name suggests, it's a heavily metallic, almost modern type of "color-changing" darker reddish-maroon color with a LOT of metallic in it (in the paint color biz, such colors are actually referred to as "Brilliance" colors, how fitting of Yamaha to have forseen that 20+ years ago!).

Whereas the 2U Super Red color is more like a barely subdued fire-engine (bright) red, very little metallic.......

Was there a different color red used depending on whether the bike came with or without striping? Or was that even an optional choice?

I'm so confused.......!

Ronnie, are all of your bikes the exact same color or red?

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I have heard that 800 were alloted to the best selling dealerships with 200 held to fill orders.

1,000 US 900's total.

Canada and Europe got Red and White.
    USA got Maroon and Gray.

They were decal-ed two tone.

I have the Original Sales brochure for the Red and White Bike.
    Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you a Copy.
    It's in the Public domain.

6. chacal

So any "red" XJ900RK's are really Canadian/Euro models? I wonder why the US parts books showed the red panels.....

And when you say "red and white" and "maroon and gray", are you talking about the base paint color(s) or the base paint/stripe color combo....i.e. the Canadian/Euro models were "red paint with white stripes", and the US models were "maroon paint with gray stripes"?

OR.....the US models were available in either a red or a gray paint color, with whatever-color contrasting stripes?

The one that Alive has, white paint with red & blue stripes, where does that fall into the mix?

I've sent you a PM, thanks Rick!

7. igormothra

igormothra New Member

I have one of them :D mine is a metallic red with silver and black.

8. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The Red and White was Canada and the rest of the world.

The Maroon, Grey and Black -- USA.

Mine is one of the Maroon ones; but I stripped it and Painted it a nice deep metallic purple from the M-5 BMW Collection called:

TechnoViolet.

It rocks!

9. ozxj900

ozxj900 New Member

just to throw a spanner in the works, im not sure what year a seca is but down here in oz our 83 series were white with the red/blue stripes and my 85 900 is the light metallic red/ black with silver and grey metallic stripes.

10. ronnie

ronnie Member

Chacal, Five of mine are the same color red, three of them were repainted by previous owners.