1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 *EFI* The holy sh*t it is fast now mod!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by gennro, Jan 2, 2011.

1. gennro

gennro Member

Re: XJ700 w/ Fuel Injection - Videos Inside - Finished?

Thanks Mike! I would to a trip to PA but I just moved from Virginia and not a fan of the east coast.

I did order some 13" Progressive 412 HD shocks and some Progressive front springs!

2. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

We are a whole state west of the coast!!

I put air shocks on mine about a year and a half ago. Love them....but anything new is better than the 25 year old stockers.

SO many projects, so little time ;-(

3. gennro

gennro Member

BTW mike just let me know if you have anymore questions or would want some more pictures or details.

4. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

and then Mike can help me FI Nahfick....right Mike???

5. venlis

venlis Member

gennro do you still have your stock carbs? i would like to know some measurements... throat OD, spacing and overall witdh etc. how much they differ from the tb's youre using?

im trying to find the best fitting throttle body. spacing on my 750 seca carbs (maybe hitachi 33?) is something 73-83-73. so the 80-80-80 on the gsxr 600 throttle bodies dont sound like a match.. also the OD is 44 compared to 38 on my hitachis..

6. gennro

gennro Member

I don't have the stock carbs anymore.

7. gennro

gennro Member

Well it looks like the 2nd gear won't engage so this week I'll be taking the trans apart to fix the dogs......

Will be possibly be picking up a 78 Suzuki GS1000 this weekend.

8. gennro

gennro Member

Well 2nd gear is fixed. The gear and shift fork were bad so I took them from my XJ650 and now 2nd stays in. Now one of my injectors started leaking so I am soaking them in WD-40 now.

9. Mr.Etobicoke

Mr.Etobicoke Member

Gennro

Nice build!...ever thought of selling a kit for the XJ? (HINT, HINT, HINT)

Kenneth

10. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Hey genro, ever thought of trying to build a tranny with the much wanted 6th gear in it? :idea:
    You apparently have solid fab skills....maybe the next step in the evolution of Max-Fuel or Fuel-X or OMFG it's a Fuel Injected Maxim-X ( I know, to big for the side of the tank)! LOL! 8)
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

oscarkilo likes this.
  11. gennro

gennro Member

12. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

Can anyone remember where they saw those throttle bodies that looked like a carb??
    I think BigFitz mentioned something. I remember the photo clear as day but only the throttle bodies and nothing about the bike

13. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Late model retro Triumphs have them

14. gennro

gennro Member

Well been tuning the bike lately I need to get some BPR8ES sparkplugs due to the hotter ones I am running are letting the engine to get way to hot. So hopefully getting the correct plugs should take care of the issues I am having and will be done. Before anyone starts shit the reason I can't run BP8ES plugs because they are non resistor type. I need BPR8ES but they are not that common of a plug. So hopefully I can find some.

The progressive springs is a huge upgrade!!!!!!

Also found a 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750 for $1300. Just needs new brakes, battery, seals, and should be road worthy!

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

news flash, colder plugs don't make the engine any cooler !

16. wizard

wizard Active Member

And why can't you run non 'R' plugs ?

17. gennro

gennro Member

non-resistive plugs allow a lot of electro magnetic interference (EMI) back in the chassis which electronic fuel systems have a hard time dealing with.

18. gennro

gennro Member

Newsflash been running 6 heat range plugs which the engine calls for 8 heat range plugs. Yes spark plugs secondary function next to providing ignition to the fuel vapors is to remove heat away from the combustion chamber. Anyone that knows anything about how engines operate will know this.

From NGK themselves:
    Let's make this really simple: when you need your engine to run a little cooler, run a colder plug. When you need your engine to run a little hotter, run a hotter spark plug. However, NGK strongly cautions people that going
    to a hotter spark plug can sometimes mask a serious symptom of another problem that can lead to engine damage. Be very careful with heat ranges. Seek professional guidance if you are unsure.

With modified engines (those engines that have increased their compression) more heat is a by-product of the added power that normally comes with increased compression. In short, select one heat range colder for every 75-100 hp you add, or when you significantly raise compression. Also remember to retard the timing a little and to increase fuel enrichment and octane. These tips are critical when adding forced induction (turbos, superchargers or nitrous kits), and failure to address ALL of these areas
    will virtually guarantee engine damage.

An engine that has poor oil control can sometimes mask the symptom temporarily by running a slightly hotter spark plug. While this is a "Band-Aid" approach, it is one of the only examples of when and why one would select
    a hotter spark plug.

BP = 13/16 size R = Resistor 8 = Heat range ES = standard 19mm reach with 2.5mm electrode.

Also here is a link from NGK http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/ ... _plugs.pdf

19. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

From NGK themselves

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_suppo ... p?mode=nml

If you are relying on the spark plugs to cool your engine, you may be expecting a bit much.

I do agree that high performance engines will often need colder plugs to avoid engine damage, not because of engine heat but because of spark plug heat.

20. gennro

gennro Member

The operating temperature of a spark plug is the actual physical temperature at the tip of the spark plug within the running engine. This is determined by a number of factors, but primarily the actual temperature within the combustion chamber. There is no direct relationship between the actual operating temperature of the spark plug and spark voltage. However, the level of torque currently being produced by the engine will strongly influence spark plug operating temperature because the maximum temperature and pressure occurs when the engine is operating near peak torque output (torque and RPM directly determine the power output). The temperature of the insulator responds to the thermal conditions it is exposed to in the combustion chamber but not vice versa. If the tip of the spark plug is too hot it can cause pre-ignition or sometimes detonation/knocking and damage may occur. If it is too cold, electrically conductive deposits may form on the insulator causing a loss of spark energy or the actual shorting-out of the spark current.
    A spark plug is said to be "hot" if it is a better heat insulator, keeping more heat in the tip of the spark plug. A spark plug is said to be "cold" if it can conduct more heat out of the spark plug tip and lower the tip's temperature. Whether a spark plug is "hot" or "cold" is known as the heat range of the spark plug. The heat range of a spark plug is typically specified as a number, with some manufacturers using ascending numbers for hotter plugs and others doing the opposite, using ascending numbers for colder plugs.
    The heat range of a spark plug (i.e. in scientific terms its thermal conductivity characteristics) is affected by the construction of the spark plug: the types of materials used, the length of insulator and the surface area of the plug exposed within the combustion chamber. For normal use, the selection of a spark plug heat range is a balance between keeping the tip hot enough at idle to prevent fouling and cold enough at maximum power to prevent pre-ignition or engine knocking. By examining "hotter" and "cooler" spark plugs of the same manufacturer side by side, the principle involved can be very clearly seen; the cooler plugs have a less substantial ceramic insulator filling the gap between the center electrode and the shell, effectively allowing more heat to be carryed off by the shell, while the hotter plugs have more ceramic material, so that the tip is more isolated from the body of the plug and retains heat better.
    Heat from the combustion chamber escapes through the exhaust gases, the side walls of the cylinder and the spark plug itself. The heat range of a spark plug has only a minute effect on combustion chamber and overall engine temperature. A cold plug will not materially cool down an engine's running temperature. (Too hot of a plug may, however, indirectly lead to a runaway pre-ignition condition that can increase engine temperature.) Rather, the main effect of a "hot" or "cold" plug is to affect the temperature of the tip of the spark plug.
    It was common before the modern era of computerized fuel injection to specify at least a couple of different heat ranges for plugs for an automobile engine; a hotter plug for cars which were mostly driven slowly around the city, and a colder plug for sustained high speed highway use. This practice has, however, largely become obsolete now that cars' fuel/air mixtures and cylinder temperatures are maintained within a narrow range, for purposes of limiting emissions. Racing engines, however, still benefit from picking a proper plug heat range. Very old racing engines will sometimes have two sets of plugs, one just for starting and another to be installed once the engine is warmed up, for actually driving the car.
    Spark plug manufacturers use different numbers to denote heat range of their spark plugs. The chart below gives the equivalent spark plug numbers between different manufacturers. Spark Plug - Equivalent heat range chart between brands