1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's '82 Maxim 750 bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Nov 16, 2012.

1. gitsum911

gitsum911 Member

Its all about the imagination

2. Ted

Ted Member

harmsxiii - Thanks! I checked out your gallery and looks like you got a pretty good start there. My honest opinion - as much as I hate to say it - is to make sure your bike is mechanically sound and safe to ride before putting too much time and money into the mods. Hopefully you've already done that and I'm wasting time typing this but we always hate to see someone spend a bunch of time tricking out a bike to find out later that it won't run or ends up as a rolling death trap! After that's all done - did you start a build thread? That's a good way to get some ideas and keep track of your progress. Good luck man, I look forward to seeing it!

Jethro - good idea.. I actually was looking at some bar-end weights on ebay that looked like bullets but I don't think they would work with my setup. I ended up getting some of these for now (I'll try to get an actual pic up later):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RUTTMAN-MINIBIK ... 1072wt_959

[​IMG]

3. newbike91

newbike91 Member

That looks great! Very simiar look to what I am after for mine. What did you use for the rear fender and how did you attach it?

4. Ted

Ted Member

That's actually the factory hard plastic inner fender . I just hacked off the back end of it and tapered it in a little at the bottom and it just clicks into a couple little tabs on the frame. It's just temporary though.. I'm hoping to find a good fender at the spring swap meet in a few months. :D

5. Farhan

Farhan New Member

Very nice mod Ted.. I want to do something similar if conditions permit (by conditions I mean avalibility of various parts which is almost non-existent where I live!) :-(

6. syckstyle

syckstyle New Member

Amazing bike nice work, and a true inspiration!

7. Ted

Ted Member

Hey thanks a lot man, I appreciate it!! It's definitely still a work in progress and probably always will be but I love it.

I've actually been working on a couple small things and will try to add an update in here with a few pics soon... just waiting for parts to arrive!

8. Baumer

Baumer New Member

Nice bike man its good to see another xj bobber here in sufu

9. Ted

Ted Member

Yeah for sure, thanks man! Got any pics of your ride?

10. Baumer

Baumer New Member

Yeah I just got them posted check it out http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=42774.html

11. Ted

Ted Member

Geez, I really should be updating this thread.. I've been working my ass off on this thing over the last couple of weeks.. hopefully it shows when I'm done!

No more empty promises - pics coming today for sure!

Recent updates:

New bar-end mirrors (cheap ebay ones - look nice but a PITA to mount)
    New pegs (cheap ebay ones - looked okay but not what I expected & I already scrapped them for..

TC Bros forward controls!! Yussss! :lol: Pretty excited for these.. not installed yet because I'm doing some framework (grinding down the old brackets, paint, etc.) before I put them on.

Exhaust! I got a set of Emgo shorties that are welded on to the collector. I wrapped the headers but need to redo one of them & will also be wrapping the collector and mufflers almost to the end. I have a feeling reassembling the exhuast is going to be a major PITA but can't wait to see it finished and hear what they sound like. They have removable baffles so I can play around with the tone a little too.

I'm hoping to have everything back together & riding by the end of this week but I'll snap & post some progress pics tonight when I get done the father's day festivities... gonna' try to talk my old man into taking his Harleys out for a ride with him. :p Happy father's day guys!!

12. Ted

Ted Member

Oh, almost forgot.. finally welded on a bracket to mount the rear fender too. I used a chunk out of the original seat bracket that was hacked off last fall. I picked up a fender for $15 at the swap meet a couple months ago and I'm keeping most of the plastic inner fender as well. Just slapped some paint on them last night.

13. Ted

Ted Member

Here we go.. progress pics! Hopefully I can follow up with finished pics by the end of the week.

Everything is suuuuper dirty from all the grinding..

Forgot to mention I put a headlight visor on a couple months back. Next step here is to reroute the wires so they're not sticking out under the headlight:

[​IMG]

New bar-end mirror:

[​IMG]

3 wrapped pipes - have to redo the first one because I didn't like the way it turned out:

[​IMG]

exhaust collector with muffs on, almost ready for wrap:

[​IMG]

Here's my seat bracket.. still need to clean up the edges a little then sand, paint, etc.:

[​IMG]

Left side frame after hours of grinding. The worst part was getting rid of the center stand brackets. I envy those that tore it down to the frame and had the right tools to make it quick and easy. This was a bastard of a job with everything still together, a 3" air-powered cutoff tool, and a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Made my share of rookie mistakes & buggered a couple little spots but nothing we couldn't come back & fix:

[​IMG]

Other side. Next step here is scrub, sand, lots of tape & plastic, then paint!

[​IMG]

Wife had to take a pic to put up on her Facebook page of us doing man shit:

[​IMG]

Let my buddy get down on the grinder.. perfect time for a photobomb! :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Ted

Ted Member

One last action shot my dad just sent from his phone.. in retrospect; shorts and flip flops may not have been the best choice for this job. :lol:

[​IMG]

15. bigmeyer50

bigmeyer50 New Member

With the pod filters did you have to do any tuning to the bike?

16. Ted

Ted Member

Yes. After switching to pod filters and removing the stock mufflers it was running lean so I went up 2 sizes on the main jets to 124s. I've been waiting to finish my exhaust before I do more fine tuning and maybe bump up the pilot jets as well.

EDIT - hey, I just noticed you're from SD, too.. whereabouts?

17. Ted

Ted Member

Finally done - except for a shifting issue. I some how ended up flopping the shifter so I have 1 up and 5 down. 8O

I think it looks pretty good. I'm not 100% happy with the exhaust and will probably end up redoing it, or at least re-wrapping it at some point but this will do for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. irritateddave

irritateddave Member

I like it man. I'm considering a bobber build also but probably way down the road for me. But nice to see.

19. Massimo33

Massimo33 Member

Very nice job on the bobber, it looks very clean, actually looks comfortable to ride as well.

20. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! It is pretty comfy but the seat has very little padding so it's a PITA after about 20 minutes! :lol: The forward controls are nice but definitely take some getting use to. I rode in to work today and had a couple take-offs where I was searching for footpegs.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with where it's at but the question now is;

what's next!? :lol:

I do have some small things on the agenda:

1. shorten the kickstand! A strong wind might tip this puppy over 8O
    2. Clean up the wiring - especially the two big bundles that cross under the headlight. I'm going to reroute them from behind to clean up the look & maybe mount my toolbag down there.
    3. New fusebox - got one from Chacal that will be installed soon.
    4. Rear fender - I'm not totally satisfied with this one. It's definitely a front fender and it looks like it... I might try chopping the end of it flat or maybe pointed and/or move it forward a little but I think I'll end up with a different one eventually.

Cheers!