1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 Inverted Forks? is it possible?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by 4freese, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 4freese

4freese Member

Like the title says I want to customize my bike a little more to the wild and add inverted forks. Anyone have any suggestions on the XJ700?

2. kelokera

kelokera New Member

I put CG 125 forks to a Honda CUB C70... so in my experience, you can do what ever you want...

3. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Depends on your abilities, time and money. You won't find anything that will just bolt right into place on a bike that was only made for 2 years and several years before inverted forks became popular. I often wondered if a set of inverted forks and trees from a dirt bike could be adapted, that way I could use a 21 inch spoke rim on the front.
    So to do this, you would need an entire front end with the right size stem or one that would accept the stem from your bike. Work out the trail(front to back) and adapt the brakes. It would be a lot of work.

4. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Finding a pair of USD forks long enough would be tough. Mine are 35.5 inches from the top of the tube to the center-line of the axle (measured while on the center stand).

The dirt bike style (with a leading axle) would be needed to try and keep the rake/trail as close to stock as possible.

Seems like quite a challenge, but I suppose it could be done.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You just need to swap the whole front end from a newer bike that has similar dimentions for the steering stem. If you do search on this forum you will find several threads about steering head swaps.

All Balls has a interchange guide that will help your search. https://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
    This is not a definitive list, as they are only one bearing supplier.

While the XJ700 was only a two-year bike, the frame was unchanged from the 650 and 750 Maxim, and Yamaha (being a smart company) used just a few headstock dimentions across several models and years.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  6. strat

strat Member

Somebody had put a sport bike front end on his 700 on here. Can't remember if it was a Cbr or a gixxer though. It required a bit of work but for the most part bolted on from what I remember.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There has been at least one R^ front swapped on. It required a fairly inexpensive amount of machine work to the stem.

8. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I remember that one, think it was a cafe with a gixxer front end. Don't think it was a inverted front end though. The 700 front end is longer than most XJ's, which is why I thought about the dirt bike front end. 250/450 might work.

The R front end looks good, but it's definitely too short for the 700 Max unless you want a cafe. Maybe you could use the trees from an R with the fork legs from the dirt bike. Still going a bit far though.
    A DNA springer can be adapted as well, don't know if the original front rim will fit. Then you would have to fab some mounts for the brake calipers.
    Mods can be a big headache that lead to other headaches. If you decide to go for it, rock on and post the pics.
    You might find some useful info over on Thechopperunderground.com. Those guys have done just about everything.