1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 Bobber Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by mnrider, Aug 22, 2014.

1. mnrider

mnrider Member

So, this is my first post, first forum joined, and first bike project I have ever done. I stumbled upon this bike while I was out delivering pizzas one night and a couple days later I went back to see if it was still available. After talking to the guy he said it didn't start and he didn't know why, but he did say that it did work a couple years ago before he put it away for the winter. The price was right (325 bucks) so i figured at least I would have had a frame for that price. I brought the bike home and put a new battery on it and boom it cranked over! The next day I cleaned the carbs to the best of my knowledge and tried to start it again. With no problem, it fired right up and stayed running. So now I have this running bike and I told myself that I would just work slowly on making it into a bobber and not rush into it, well like most things I do, I just couldn't wait and dove in head first. Here is my progress so far. It took a couple weeks to get approved for this site so it has only been two weeks of work so far. Ask away with questions and comments. I will try to post new updates daily.

Attached Files:

george hogue likes this.
  2. mnrider

mnrider Member

Sorry for the lack of update, actually have done quite a bit to the bike and want to add pictures, just need to figure out a way to easily upload pictures and not have to size them down, any suggestions? Im taking pictures from my iPhone if that helps

3. Ted

Ted Member

Diggin the bike so far man! The best way to post your pics is to upload them to a photo sharing site like Photobucket. Then you just copy the URL and paste it into your post here.

4. mnrider

mnrider Member

5. mnrider

mnrider Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ok I finally Have some time on my hands and got this whole forum thing figured out. I appreciate all the people who have checked it out. I will be posting a bunch of pictures today thanks!

6. mnrider

mnrider Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeanXJ750 likes this.
  7. mnrider

mnrider Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DeanXJ750 likes this.
  8. mnrider

mnrider Member

Ok this is as far as I am currently. I just ordered a speedometer and some new brake lines so just waiting for those. In the meanwhile, I am wiring up a new minimal wiring harness. Wish me luck. I will be away for a week due to taking a road trip on my other motorcycle. (2000 yamaha roadster 1600). I look forwards to seeing what you guys think when I return. Thanks

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Your bike is looking good.

I see a problem though. Where you welded the hardtail section to the frame. If you just butt the two pieces together and weld, it will be a weak joint. If you had beveled the edges and left a 1/16ths gap between the pieces, it would be a strong joint. Another way is to plug the end of the pipe with a stud that will insert into the other pipe and weld around each piece.
    I know it sucks to hear that now. :evil: Better to be safe than have a piece of hardtail in your tail! 8O

george hogue likes this.
  10. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Minor issue, but don't park it outside in the rain.

11. mnrider

mnrider Member

Orange n black - I like the plug idea, I'm learning a lot day after day and what I could have done differently with new ideas. Confused on what you meant by butting the pieces together? I removed the original welds and grinded that smooth and then i grinded the new pipe to "wrap around" the original frame and welded all around that. It makes old-new contact all around prior to welding. Is that considered a strong weld? I was hesitant on doing the hard tail because I haven't done anything like this before and have never really welded so I just dove in head first.

Bigshankhank - Yeah I don't really plan on riding it too much and yeah I always park inside.

12. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Huh? Go buy a convertible.

13. mnrider

mnrider Member

bigshankhank - Ride "this" bike much. I kind of just wanted it to mess around on and learn how to do stuff. I ride my other bike everyday, everywhere I go.

14. Orange-n-Black

Butting the pieces together means that the pieces fit flat together, not allowing the weld to penetrate the joint enough for a strong weld. The weld will penetrate some, but is mostly lying over the top. This could lead to stress cracks and a failed weld.
    With the beveled edge and a 1/16ths gap between the pieces, the weld will penetrate both pieces better and fill the gap. Making a stronger and better looking weld.
    Hope this helps.

george hogue likes this.
  15. mnrider

mnrider Member

Ok so I have been working on the bike more but have been slacking in the update process. I will try to get on that later today. Possibly will be able to take it out for a ride this weekend :)

16. redsix

redsix Member

What kind of tires are those? Nice build.

17. XJoe

XJoe Member

Did you heat up your vertical supports before you welded them on your hard tail? Where did you bend them at? I'm held up at that stem welding right now.

18. kwes

kwes Member

good lookin build so far!

19. mnrider

mnrider Member

I can't remember exactly but I got them from JP cycles. And thanks, I have now pulled the motor, after riding around for awhile, and am getting the rest of the body work done to get it ready for paint. The snow has started falling her in MN so no more bike riding for the year. Now the rest of the winter will be spent finishing the build.
    I did heat them up just with a blowtorch. I didnt have to bend them very much and looking back on it now, I would have just removed them all together.
    Thanks!

20. Orange-n-Black

You'll want to keep those vertical supports.