1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil cooler on a XJ750 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by kelokera, Feb 11, 2015.

1. kelokera

kelokera New Member

I know there is more posts about this topic... but I want to be COMPLETE SURE!!!!!

Can I install a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 SECA Turbo Oil Cooler on my 1982 XJ750 SECA??? cuz I'm searching and searching for the XJ750 Turbo and can't find it... and if so... what do I need to do this?!!!

is 60 bucks a good price for those 2 pieces??? I'll need more stuff???

$_57 1.JPG
    $_57.JPG

2. Daithi

Daithi Member

That's a great price as that oil cooler looks to be in terrific shape. Its longer/taller than a stock Seca 750 cooler ( Available in Europe where it was a stock fitment ). I did it on my USA bike. As the shape is different, I am not totally sure about fitment, though I cant see any major issue there. You will need a few small components for the housing where it connects to the sump and brackets to mimic the OEM set up. .

3. mindwebs

mindwebs Member

you are missing the bolt and washer to hold the adapter plate to the motor, len may be able to get you that part.
    check with him to be sure he has it, before you buy the cooler, the bolt may cost you more then the cooler through a stealership.

4. Daithi

Daithi Member

I am now thinking that you might have a problem with the mounting points with this cooler, being taller than the one for the 750, so when you put the top of this cooler into the notch for that piece on the top, the mounting holes on the 750`s frame may not align...possibly. Its a taller cooler on the 650 turbo so I would re think this. Not worth taking a risk with it and then finding it wont fit properly. It might be worth going to the trouble of buying a stock 750 cooler on a site like E bay Germany, where they are quite plentiful, and not expensive either. Those pipes too, that come out of the oil filter housing component, might also be a different length than the Seca 750`s one, so that could also be an issue. They need to be the right length and no kinking in any way, as they need to line up properly to the mid pipe attachment point where the lines are secured to the engine via a bracket and screws etc. Its well past midnight here where I live so I gotta go to bed, but would be happy to pass you on some detailed pics of my installation and some relevant links tomorrow. Let me know.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I have an oil cooler for the XJ650 Turbo on my XJ750. It is a direct bolt on. The oil cooler itself looks taller, but it is in fact the same height as the non-turbo oil cooler (but it is narrower than the non-turbo cooler; hence the illusion). As mentioned, you will need the special nut that holds the oil cooler adapter to the oil filter housing (Chacal has them), and the bracket that holds the soft lines in place.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  6. kelokera

kelokera New Member

so... I need one of those
    [​IMG]
    and some seals to fit the part with the pipes I guess... sorry cuz I don't know a think about mechanics... but, if I see it I can do it!!! as you can see for my bike....

I imagine is not that complicate... I did the cable nest by myself, I guess this is easier!!!! k-moe... do you think I can do this?!! If you say yes I just buy all this!!!!

If any of you have pics of how to do this and wants to share... you will make me really happy!!!!

7. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

nope, you need 7 and 8 here...

oil cooler.jpg

you can look up parts diagrams at this dealers website...

http://www.tacomamotorsports.com/fi...Motorcycles&make=Yamaha&year=1982&fveh=177024

there are other sources for this info as well. this just happens to be my closest local dealer.

FU

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. k-moe

The union bolt is NLA from Yamaha.

From Len's catalog.

Oil Cooler System Adapter Housing Union Bolt:

We now have available the large hex-headed Oil Cooler Adapter Housing UNION BOLT. This is the bolt that has both external threads (where the bolt threads into the engine block) and the internal threads (where the oil filter housing cover/bypass valve bolt threads into). This "union" bolt is what actually holds the oil cooler adapter housing to the block. Many of the used factory oil coolers that are found for sale have all the component pieces needed to install a factory cooler onto a non-cooler bike EXCEPT FOR THIS BOLT, and without it, well, it just ain't gonna happen---this is a very specialized design bolt. For all XJ550 models (with or without the oil cooler), all XJ650 Turbo models, and all XJ900RK models, or on any XJ model adapting a factory oil cooler to a non-oil cooler model.

The large, flat, special thickness washer that goes with this bolt is also available and is listed separately, as well as many of the various factory oil cooler repair pieces, including the adapter plate and associated parts.

HCP3165 Aftermarket oil cooler adapter housing-to-block UNION BOLT, cnc-machined high-carbon steel bolt exactly replaces the original in all aspects. For all FJ600, XJ600, XJ650, XJ750, and XJ900RK, RK, and N/FN models with a factory-installed oil cooler.
    $ 39.95

HCP3163 OEM oil filter housing union bolt PLATE WASHER, fits under the head of the HCP3165 union bolt above and mates to the crankcase. For all XJ550 models only.
    $ 3.95

HCP3166 OEM oil filter housing union bolt PLATE WASHER, fits under the head of the HCP3165 union bolt above and mates to the outer surface of the HCP3140 adapter housing. For all FJ600, XJ600, XJ650, XJ750, and XJ900RK, RK, and N/FN models with a factory-installed oil cooler.
    $ 5.95

9. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I'd like to know more about this.....pictures!......as the 650 Turbo cooler is quite a bit taller than the factory XJ750 (short) cooler......the rad mounting holes won't line up with the frame's threaded holes, and the 650T hoses will be the wrong length. We experimented quite a bit trying to use the somewhat common 650T coolers on the other XJ650 and XJ750 models, and it was a big negatory......

10. Daithi

Daithi Member

I am relieved to hear that I am not going nuts, and that there is a difference in ``tallness`` between the XJ650T oil cooler and that of an OEM Seca 750 oil cooler. The 650T unit has 8 galleys going left to right versus just 5 for the Seca 750`s. Whilst there might be a difference in the height of each galley, it looks to me to be``not much at all``, so I dont think its any illusion as to their comparitive heights. The USA Seca 750 has 2 holes in the frame to mount the oil cooler that was stripped out of USA bound versions !!!!! I guess it was Yamaha just being cheapskate about this, as other countries got the oil cooler fitted as standard. !!!! When I was restoring my USA Seca 750, I simply went out and bought a used cooler from E Bay Germany along with the various plumbing and adaptors, and also had to buy a few small bracket items from a Yamaha dealer in the Netherlands. This was all pretty straight forward for me as I live in Ireland and am well familiar with this model. Just a few mins ago, I took a few pics of my actual bike and its cooler and various fittings. I hope this helps a little to clarify things.

Attached Files:

11. Daithi

Daithi Member

I just measured my oil cooler dimensions and these are the approx. details. Its kind of hard to get in there !! Height or Tallness is 2.75 inches as per pic. This is measured from the slightly raised top section where the cooler slots into a pin or point on the frame and then down to the bottom of the oil galleys. Width is approx. 6.5 inches. See pics.

Attached Files:

12. kelokera

kelokera New Member

So... the best idea is to buy the parts I found, that are the expensive ones..., and buy every other part from the site... and mount everything based on the diagram... I can try to find another oil cooler, one that fit my bike better... or... I can do a metal piece that holds the cooler to the bike... some kind of adapter... anyway... I'll buy the plate and hoses first

THANKS TO ALL!!!! YOU ARE A BUNCH OF NICE PEOPLE!!! :p

Brian Goldberg likes this.
  13. Daithi

Daithi Member

Keep things simple as I recommended. Buy the adaptor from either E Bay UK or Germany, and it usually incls the bolt and washer that you must have to attach the adaptor to the oil housing !!!! You can confirm this with the seller, but you will usually be supplied with pics to confirm that they are included. Then also buy a Seca 750 oil cooler but make sure its for the 1981-83 models, not the later version that was sold in Europe. It may or may not be slightly different so play it safe and go for the 1981-83 version ( Code M 11 ). The later models are referred to as code 41Y. Normally the cooler comes with the oil pipes attached . You will need to buy 2 washers and nuts that secure the oil pipes to the oil filter and these can be seen on the Yamaha Microfiche. Easy. All that you will need then is the bracket and bolts to secure the oil pipes to the mid point of the motor as per my pics. These can also be bought via the Microfiche but some patience is needed. Get back to me if you need more help. I have been there and done it, so I know whats needed to do the job.

14. k-moe

As soon as I stop being sick I'll get measurements and pictures. I will admit that it is possible that the sellers mislabeled both of the oil coolers that I have.

15. Daithi

Daithi Member

Both of the oil coolers you already have ???? HUH ???

16. k-moe

Yes. One on the shelf, and one on the bike.

A huge Mia culpa. The turbo oil cooler will not bolt right up. It will however bolt up after you make brackets to allow for the difference in height. Apologies for the misinformation.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  17. Daithi

Daithi Member

Oh, So you had bought the Turbo cooler already.??? It originally sounded like you were asking about whether you should buy it and the housing. You know your oil lines will maybe not work now, don't you ??? They will be too long and will bulge outwards instead of aligning properly with the motor and being secured by that mid engine bracket as per the stock unit in my pics. The lines might actually work, but will look untidy at a minimum. And then you have to make up a bracket to get the cooler secured at its lower point being taller as it is as you mentioned. It might be better to simply bite the bullet and sell off the cooler and buy a correct fit Euro Seca cooler online as instructed. That way everything will fit properly as designed, no muss, no fuss. Do you have Items 7 and 8 as per the microfiche. ?? The union bolt and washer. They should have come with what you bought. Your pic does not include them.

18. k-moe

I am not asking anything. I was replying to the OP's question. I've had the turbo oil cooler installed for two years now (which is part of why I forgot about the bracket that I had made).

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

When it stops being so cold, I could measure all of my oil coolers as well.......lol

20. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Behold, the "shorty" XJ650 non-turbo oil cooler:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-1982...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c24ef83b9&vxp=mtr

It only has 5 rows of cooling fins; the turbo cooler has 8 rows, and is thus "too tall" to fit in the stock frame position. You can make up brackets to "drop it down" (so that the top stud fits into the frame holder loop) but then the cooler LINES are too long and oriented incorrectly. The oil cooler lines are a combination of bent metal and straight rubber sections, and the "bent metal" pieces are critical to maintain proper orientation.

Other oem Yamaha oil coolers are also "shorties".....XJ900, FJ600, etc......but all suffer from either mounting hole mis-alignments, hose length mis-alignments, too great of a width for the 650/750 frames, or a combination of all of the above (and then some).