1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Premium Member - features and functions

Discussion in 'Announcement' started by SnoSheriff, Apr 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Just to keep you all in the loop. I'm currently working on implementing the Premium Membership functions and features. You will notice Premium Member banners under some of the member's Avatars. I selected these members to be the early adopters and testers of their new functions. This will be a self serve service to which anyone can subscribe. More info to come in the near future.

2. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

I've noticed you put a limit on the amount of time we have to edit posts. I think that is counter-intuitive and reduces the overall quality of the forum. being able to go back and correct mistakes makes the content easier to read and also gives us the ability to improve on our posts as we see fit. please bring that feature back.

FU

Geezer Ryder likes this.
  3. SnoSheriff

Yes, I want to limit that to a reasonable amount of time for regular Registered users. Problem that I want to address is removal of content. I've seen some people remove content so it creates gaps in threads. In the past, I also had members with malicious intentions and they removed tons of their posts leaving big voids... Premium Members will have much more time or no time limit.

4. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

that's too bad, since as much as I would like to, being a supporting member is not in my budget. and who's to say a supporting member won't get a bug up their but and delete all their content?

FU

Geezer Ryder likes this.
  5. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I comment on Engadget articles all the time, and they have a 10 minute window for making edits, likely for most of the same reasons. I think 10 minutes for comments is fine, but I'd say maybe 24 hours for regular member posts. Maybe a month + for premium? Though, I'm thinking of my parts-for-sale post and how old it is, and how I went back to edit the first post (the sale list) rather than re-posting a list for people to hunt down. That's the only reason I can think of for why I'd say make them editable forever - unless you can make that based on post-type or post-area.

6. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

if it were me, I would allow members who have a very high post count or have been members for a minimum amount of time (say 2 years or more), ones who are likely to stick around because they have been active and around for a long time, the ability to edit their posts.

FU

Geezer Ryder likes this.
  7. BaldWonder

Also, I donated on a recurring monthly basis. The way I saw it, I felt I could more than afford to give up eating out for lunch once a month to offset what I'm sending Sno's way. I'm paying more for Netflix, and this site is way more educational than that.

scott0870 likes this.
  8. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

I don't have Netflix. we had a 9.99 for two dvd's a month account once and we found we weren't even watching the movies we were getting. so we canceled it. can't really afford it right now anyway. I am going to cancel my basic cable too, since we hardly turn on the tv, and I can stream most shows now anyway.

FU

9. BaldWonder

Yeah, I cut the cable a number of years ago. Now I only have internet and streaming Netflix (the 8.99 plan). And I watch YouTube on the Xbox.

On the plus side, it sounds like he's not going to make it unusable if you don't donate.

10. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

Just my 2 cents:

I think a post edit limit shouldnt be much of a problem at all personally. You should only need three max edits to fix spelling mistakes and such (and thats generous), unless someone wants to try and remove false info they have posted, i cant see why you wouldnt be able to just post corrections in a new message within that thread.

I'm all for premium membership, the information on this site is too valuable to let disappear due to cost restrictions, and ive definitely saved enough in mechanics bills to owe it to the site.

As long as the option remains for unpaying to users to create accounts, post threads/messages, upload pics and vids to threads, and send personal messages, then i think the general user not willing to pay for premium will still use the site and it wont become a "pay only" club, because I think that there should definitely be room for the average joe who just wants to look a couple things up and not necessarily participate in the forums.

11. SnoSheriff

There might be a way to become one without paying $ ;). More info to come in the near future.

12. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Jeez Sno, I know it's been a long cold winter out in the 'Peg', but "takin it out in trade". I never would have guessed! :eek: :eek:

Chance and Stumplifter like this.
  13. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

so, I have been pondering this whole premium membership thing. I am a long time member of a forum (the best forum for sprinters worldwide) http://sprinter-source.com/forum/index.php.

it occurred to me that this forum is funded totally by ad spots and doesn't require or even ask for donations for added benefits and is still a stellar forum. you (snosherif) may want to look into what that forum owner is doing to fund his site. there is also a cool header that showcases pics of forum members vans, and all they had to do was send a pic to be added to the rotation. my van actually appears in two different poses.

it would be really cool to see all of our members bikes in a rotating slide show at the top of each page.

FU

Geezer Ryder likes this.
  14. SnoSheriff

This one went over my head. So, I'm not sure what you mean.

@FtUp thanks for the lead. I'll have a look at it.

15. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Sno - you ever do naked beer runs on a snowmobile? o_O

Chance likes this.
  16. BaldWonder

That's a horrible way to start a night of drinking.

Stumplifter likes this.
  17. SnoSheriff

Guys, I'd like to stick to the original topic in this thread. I'm looking for feedback and suggestions about "Premium Membership" from community members... Thanks.

Additional Premium features that I implemented this week:
    • no ads
    • can modify User Title to whatever you wish
    • enhanced signature limits - 200 char, 5 lines, 10 links
    • User name color set to Green
    • can include attachments in Conversations
    • can have a conversation with multiple members

k-moe likes this.
  18. BaldWonder

Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. :oops:

To help increase demand for Premium, maybe take away links in unpaid signatures (assuming that isn't already the case)?

Here's some stuff I found after doing a quick search for privileges on other sites:
    • More private message storage, if there's a limit here, I don't know.
    • Private Premium-Only section of the forums. I don't know what Hogs and I would talk about, though. :D
    • Unlimited posts per day, meaning non-premium would get limited.
    • Ability to create polls.
    • Post calendar events, like clinics or rallies.
    • Ability to create posts in the "For sale" area, meaning non-premium wouldn't be able to do that anymore. They'd only be able to reply.

19. BaldWonder

Oh, and I'd like to offer that design I showed you as a patch or sticker, and we could give out a sticker/patch with each membership... depending on how the pricing works out.

20. SnoSheriff

Great feedback and thanks for your offer. I will definitely keep your offer in mind. Here is what I think will happen:

Regular members will continue with the existing 20 char limit and no links.

Regular members will be limited to certain conversation mailbox size in the future. Premium will have much larger conversation limits

I can definitely do this! I'm thinking this would be Premium private forum in which only Premium members can read and post. "Premium VIP Lounge". So the content would be only visible to the Premium members. Is this something you guys want?

I believe regular members can do this right now and I don't plan on changing this.

I will put that on my future Consideration items list.

Forum limits will be implemented on the "For Sale" forum. I'm not sure how this will be done yet but I'm thinking something like one new post per month. If you want/need more then you should become a Premium member. I'm open to ideas on this one. What would be a good limit? The reply only option is interesting as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.