1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ted's '82 Maxim 750 bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Ted, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Ted

Ted Member

20150813_175001.jpg Sold. Sure gonna miss her but the dude that bought it seemed pretty cool and I think he'll get to ride it more than I did.

Last pics. 20150813_174918.jpg

2. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Sorry to see her go, Ted. A lot of my initial design inspirations came from your bike, and you helped a ton with the carbs over the winter, so for that I thank you.

I do have a question about your exhausts that has me curious (for more reasons than one, but mainly because I still haven't sorted mine out).

So it appears that your initial exhaust setup was as follows:

You had the stock headers, down to a collector (was that a stock collector? I believed that the stock collectors on our bikes angle up and out, whereas it looks like this one went straight back) then to the emgo shortys.

I believe you said that this made the bike run very well.

Then, we have your second exhaust setup: Aftermarket two to ones, with the emgo shortys. These made your bike run poorly!

But could someone explain how that might be, considering both exhaust setups were 2-1 with the same muffler?

3. Xythin

Xythin Member

Original exhaust has crossover pipes that help with evening out back pressure between all four cylinders, new exhaust have no such cross pipe. Or at least that's what I've "understood" from reading threads on aftermarket exhaust here.

4. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Interesting. Good info. Thanks a lot!

5. Ted

Ted Member

Yep, Xythin pretty much nailed it. My original setup (the one you see in those final pictures) is the stock exhaust headers and the original 4-into-1 collector. I just removed the chrome accents from the sides & we welded the shorty's on pointing straight back instead of upswept.

The other setup was 2 seperate 2-into-1 headers with no collector in the middle and - sorry if I wasn't clear - not Emgo shorty's. they were bigger slashcut style mufflers that I think were more restrictive than the Emgo shorty's. I didn't do plug chops or anything but it felt like it was running rich with the mufflers on and lean through the open headers. Instead of trying to re-jet before selling it I decided it would be better to return to my original setup because I knew it worked.

I still have the other setup laying in my garage. Not sure what I'm going to do with it...

6. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Fair enough, thanks! Sure do wish my stock collector wasn't trashed. Off to find one that's for sale!

7. ed1le

ed1le New Member

I can respect all the above as a father of 3 young daughters. Fortunately no casualties, however, a riding buddy was in a very serious accident just before my oldest was born about 7 years ago followed by a close call myself so I hung up the helmet and sold the bike and got back into cars (fishing bores me and golf frustrates me). But the itch never went away so I picked up a nice xj750 this week as a winter bobber project. Just read this entire thread and love your bike (or whoever it belongs to now). Lots of great ideas and inspiration! Dig the mower too!

Ted likes this.
  8. Paul Smythe

Paul Smythe New Member

I'm late to the party, but have read this entire thread, and it's great. Just wanted to say thanks.
    Working on a XJ550 bobber at the moment. Quick question: Did you do anything else to lower the bike besides change the shocks (I just ordered the same 11'' pair from dime city).