1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj650 turbo help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by TurboDys, Nov 22, 2015.

1. TurboDys

TurboDys New Member

long story long. I recently picked up an 82 xj650 seca turbo. It was in fairly, good shape for sitting in a garage for 20 plus years. I wanted something I could tinker with and ride occasionally (I ride all year in texas). The previous owner started to restore it but ran out of interest/wife wanted it gone.
    Anyway, I need to rebuild the carbs (they've never been off) but my newbie level skills combined with forced induction engine is proving too much. I got a manual but it doesn't say how to remove the carbs. Looking at it, I'm not sure if I have to remove the surge tank first or what. The shade tree mechanics I called won't even touch it. When I got it, it fired up idled rough then started dumping gas out of the carbs. After being puzzled on how to remove the carbs I tried the "no removal" fixes. Flushed the lines, checked the peatcock, drained the bowls, seafoam, cleaned tank, etc. That got it to stop leaking gas from bowls now it's leaking into the oil. Carbs right?
    Ok, now the questions.
    1. If everything but the carbs are good was it a good buy at $200?
    2. (5) Shops quoted me an avg $600 for the carb rebuild. Should I sell it for cost and get something more my level, learn to do it myself, or pay the shop?

Thanks for the advice.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

200 is a great deal , you could part it out for a lot more than that. tci unit is worth about a 100$ on ebay
    if the shop will get it running thats up to you.
    you will still have to check/adjust the valve shims , simple enough to do .
    this is the best place for you to learn how to do it and do it right, you can buy a lot of tools and parts for 600$

here is a few links for you to read
    The Information Overload Hour

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

THE SECRET LIFE OF CARBURETORS

http://www.xj4ever.com/inside your carbs.pdf

TALKIN' TECH: Various thoughts on various issues

for parts and more info

http://www.xjbikes.com/forums/forums/xj4ever-supporting-vendor.23/

TurboDys likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    TurboDys likes this.
  4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Does it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

Gary H.

5. TurboDys

TurboDys New Member

Yes, but more like this.

Attached Files:

XJ550H, rocs82650 and Stumplifter like this.
  6. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

XJ550H, has given you a whole lot to digest. Read through it, if you are tingling with anticipation after reading all of it then jump in and DO IT!

By do it I mean, be thankful the shade trees wouldn't touch it and that the local guy wants $600 for carbs (I think Dave does it for half that). . . . I digress.

You have happened upon the holy grail of websites, do not adjust your TV, this is the place to learn how to do all of your own wrenching (and that mysterious 'lectricity stuff). It can be intimidating, but take small bites and chew carefully.

Read: don't open up to many cans of worms - one task at a time; be meticulous with your attention to detail. You have a digital camera/ phone? Use it like it is a rented mule, take tons of pics, before during and after any project. Maybe note pads are your thing, use that also. Ask questions here and Next thing you know you will be drinking beer, eating bacon and posting advice to others here. (Factual - I'm not only a spokesman but a user to!)

When I first started here I knew that a motorcycle has two wheels; now I know that it has two wheels and a gas tank (and how to check/adjust valves, refurbish starter, replace cables, remove and rebuild carbs, rebuild brakes all around, replace shocks, and even replace turn signal bulbs, etc. etc.). You will be amazed at how brilliant and patient some of the folk are here. Welcome aboard . . .

OR just give in - I will give you $205 for that bike. :D

Andrew Nichols, Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.
  7. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

You will find all carb parts and turbo parts here: http://bdesigns.ca/Yamaha_Carb_Kits.htm
    Turbo Rebuild kit/service: http://gpopshop.com/ Turbo is a Mitsubishi TD-03

$200 is a fantastic price. I paid $250 in similar condition. But you'll likely spend another $1500-$2000 in parts and you'll need to do the labor yourself, but it will be a fantastic bike.
    Pull the carbs and rebuild them properly. Send me a PM for the manual. I took mine down to the frame and rebuilt it all back up.

The turbocharger will likely need a rebuild too. If it's rebuildable, no sense it running it and having it fall apart later and not be rebuildable. $300-$400 for a rebuild is a lot cheaper than sourcing another unit. They were only made for this application.

You'll need to also do a lot of brake and suspension work, and there are extra electrical sensors on it so you'll really want to clean the entire loom up.

Turbos really aren't as easy to deal with as the normally aspirated XJs, but they are worth saving and if you take your time and do it right it'll be well worth it.

rocs82650 likes this.
  8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

You got a great deal.

I paid $250 for mine in THIS condition....probably paid too much, but I'm not afraid to take a lot of time.
    image.jpg

Andrew Nichols and wgul like this.
  9. Team43

Team43 New Member

Hey another fellow XJer in Arlington. Welcome to the site. Listen to these guys, they are packed full of knowledge, you just got to get it out of them before they kick over :) I am in S Arlington. Dont know much about the Seca and turbo but I did my own valves and carb rebuild myself, was scared shitless but I did it LOL, bike runs fine. heres a picture of my butchered XJ650 brat

Attached Files:

10. TurboDys

TurboDys New Member

Thanks for the great advice!

Honestly I was just hoping I didn't break it anymore than it already was. I took a couple days off not messing with it. Tried to get my head around the problem of removing the carbs and servicing the turbocharger while trying to find a manual. And of course a nice little xj750 (my first love was a xj450) comes up for sale in about the same condition. Plus got 2 offers on the turbo by people walking by while I was working on it. Damn it, too many choices...

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hey, if you get a good offer and make some money on it--- sell it and get the 750..... Unless you're totally sold on having the turbo....which is cool, too. Or, buy the 750 anyway and start a collection. I have only about 30, so I may start a collection, soon......

BTW, xj450 isn't a yamaha

Andrew Nichols and Stumplifter like this.
  12. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you want to MAKE money on the turbo, sell it for any amount of money over what you paid for it, and you'll make a PROFIT! Put any money into the Turbo and Carbs, then electrical, suspension, brakes, tires, bearings, etc and you definitely won't. Turbos are a lot of work. I love mine, had a 750 seca also, and felt like I needed to sell one and the Turbo stayed even tho it wasn't nearly as nice and done up.

13. David Eden

David Eden New Member

I had been riding my turbo up untill today worked late yesterday like till 4 am and it eas getting a little chilli in the shop so i headed for my camper to grab a jacket and it had to have been close to 80 at 330 am then went to bed a little later and woke up to thunder and rain 45 mins later it eas sleeting now all my windows are coverd with ice. So i guess no rides again for a few days . And for the guy wanting to know ifvthe surge tank has to come off, well ues it does you will have

14. David Eden

David Eden New Member

You will have to remove the surge tank the easiest way i found was to loosen the clamp on the inlet it has a 90 bof the turbo under the swing arm then take out the aircleaner box and all then you can get to the pressure side that feeds surge tank once thats off carbs just roll out after loosning the carb clamps . I found putting carbs back on heat gun helps heat the rubber conectors so carbs go in alot better

15. wgul

wgul Active Member

You did just fine. Especially if the compression is good. :)

16. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I bought a kawasaki 500 (rough) with the yam 650 turbo frame and engine thrown in for £300. I don't think it was much of a bargain, but who knows where it might lead.

17. David Eden

David Eden New Member

Well i say you got a good deal being the going price seems to be im fair to good condition is around $2500.00 now i didnt pay any cash for mine i repaired the ac in the s-10 pickup that was taking it across the scales but he was talking $100.00 . And forgot the part about it was in three boxes and two big coffee cans but in a week it was running . The petcock on the tank is still no good your is probably the same . On the carbs yes the surge tank does come off after the air filter box is removed and the pipe that comes of the compressor on the lower right hand side has to come off and best i remember you just have clamps on the surge tank side and the engine side of the carbs and ofcourse all the fuel lines and i think you want to pull the electric fuel pump for easier access to the throtle and enriching cable / choke cable and they roll down and out they come . Now i did not buy any kits forbthe carbs it would have beem nice to have kits but i got them.working well . The only mistake i make was where the pipes tie the carbs together to deliver fuel to each carb . They have o rings on the ends and they are not really o rings they are wide and thick. Thats where the kits would have beem nice . However i did have several large o ring assortmets and was able to find some that i doubled up on each end and not had any more leaks . Its a cool bike if i were you i would keep it .. oh be really careful not to let anyting into the inlet or outlet of the turbo when the airfilter is off its a dangerous time so plug those up and enjoy . Hey im in okla city your neighbor to the north if you have any questions about anything on that bike you can call me David 405-305-8111. I did find out that a kid in highschool has a 82 also i think we are the only ones in the city. Its kinda cool to haveva one of a kind bike unless you rob banks then probably not a good thing lol.