1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 Bobber Project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by mnrider, Aug 22, 2014.

1. oscarkilo

oscarkilo Member

I have an original Harley peanut tank off an old bike... not sure which one. I'm trying to bang out the dent on mine but everyone keeps telling me "it will blow up" because there are fumes in it. Is there anyway to cut it open and bang the dents out? (Would be doing cleaning of the inside while it's open along with re-sealing the tank).

I never put a front fender on mine. And I used to ride with Prada shades on for the longest time. I have em on in my picture but censored my face so you can't see it in the picture. Got used to it, then started wearing a full face helmet during night rides eventually. Nothing wrong with a little wiping of the face from time to time haha

...Will put on a very tiny one, one of these days. All jokes aside, it does get annoying when you're heading somewhere formal and you're the one guy with mud on your clothes lol

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Just as many as used to. My '83 GMC had orange peel, as did my aunt's '70 Duster, and my father's '64 Volvo. I worked at a car lot during my highschool years; even the occasional Corvette would come in from the factory with at least some orange peel on it.

3. mnrider

mnrider Member

Yeah my father in law just got a new bumper and it looks like that. Me personally for this bike, I dig it. On other things not so much. And sliding down the road isn't cool, I was just quoting a great old school chopper rider who said that. Anyways yeah not to sure about the banging out the old tank deal. Plus front fender for when it rains. Doesn't matter. I ride rain or shine, cold or hot on my other Yamaha.

4. mnrider

mnrider Member

Just thought to hop on here and give a little update on the XJ. Its been a great summer here in MN so I have been doing some riding. I will say, this bobber turned out better than I could have ever imagined. It was a great bike to learn how to do just about everything on. I have just read and messed around with things to learn so much and to get things running perfect. Here are some new and final pictures of the results. It also seems that I cant be riding anywhere or go anywhere with out having someone who wants to stop and ask about the scoot and where I got it. It makes me proud to be able to say that I built it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HawksFan12 and xj750midnight like this.
  5. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

That is straight out inspirational, brother.

6. mnrider

mnrider Member

Thank you, I appreciate it.

7. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Look's great.

mnrider likes this.
  8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam

Beautiful man, that looks great! I'd ride it.

mnrider likes this.
  9. a216vcti

a216vcti New Member

Wow! Great work! I'm at the start of my build. Still trying to figure out the basics. I'm looking to build the bike for the same purpose, to be pretty. How does the engine run without the full exhaust and no factory airbox? Is it difficult to get running?

10. willmarmnxj650

willmarmnxj650 Member

Very nice bike build what part of mn you from? I live in Willmar and got a 81 maxim 650 I'm working on would be cool to get together with some other people from mn

11. mnrider

mnrider Member

Thanks man , my bike runs fine without the full exhaust and having the pods. I'm sure it could be better but works fine for all my purposes.

12. mnrider

mnrider Member

Thanks, I'm from Coon rapids. I've talked with a few other people on here from Mn and we've all said the same thing. Either a summer ride or just a gathering would be cool to drink beer and b-s about bikes.

13. HawksFan12

HawksFan12 New Member

That build is a huge inspiration! I am in the very beginning of my first build, 83 XJ750, and am already feeling overwhelmed. Great job man!

14. mnrider

mnrider Member

Thank you! Its always nice to hear positive feedback. It was a very fun bike to build, and looking at it daily in the garage for this winter is killing me. I cant wait to ride this coming summer. Have a great time making your build and don't get overwhelmed. The guys on here are great help and ask questions. The only thing, is to make sure that the motor is sound before doing all the "fun" stuff. Any questions feel free to ask.

HawksFan12 likes this.
  15. HawksFan12

HawksFan12 New Member

Hey mnrider, did you say you did the simple wiring? I have a few questions about it. Would like to pick your brain a little if you don't mind...

16. mnrider

mnrider Member

Yeah I did do the simple wiring, and feel free to ask.

17. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam

What'd you do for the clutch? I'm looking hard but I don't see it.

18. mnrider

mnrider Member

That the one question everyone asks me when I show up somewhere with the scoot. On the right side where the clutch cable would go to, I turned it around and use my foot to "push down" the clutch and I shift with the hand lever on the left. Its a little tricky but I have gotten used to it now. I have tossed around some ideas for an actual foot pedal clutch but just haven't found anything I like enough to make. Its hard because I can't use the back brake and hold the clutch in at the same time. For safety reasons, I need to just make something and stick with it for this coming riding year.

19. justa82bob

justa82bob New Member

Awesome build! New to the xj just started my first build loving it so far, what fuel tank is that if you don't mind me asking? Did you have to modify it at all?

20. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam

That would be tricky, would hate to deal with that in a situation requiring quick response time!

I wonder if you could get one of those TC Bros forward control kits and adapt it to use the clutch cable. I think that would look good on the bike.