1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Emgo Shorty Install

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by codylg, Oct 2, 2014.

1. codylg

codylg New Member

Hey there,

So I'm looking into ordering the emgo shorty mufflers for my 82 seca, it's both my project and only form of transportation ha.

The install on the Emgo Shorty's looks pretty straight forward, but if theres anything Ive learned about working on bikes its that straight forward isnt always so.

Will these pop right on my exhaust or should I be looking at reducers as well?

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Shorty-U...51&sr=1-1&keywords=emgo+shorty#productDetails

2. Jake Avery

Jake Avery New Member

I actually just bought a pair of emgos (slashcuts) for my 82 maxim and I'm struggling trying to get them on there. I also bought a pair of 1.5 inch exhaust clamps assuming they fit around the muffler and the pipe but I can hardly get around the pipe. If you figured anything out id love some advice. I can upload photos too if that's help.

3. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

The product description says "One end is 1 1/2" diameter and the other end is 1 3/4" diameter"

So you will have to measure the diameter of where you want to attach them and compare to the mufflers' diameter to figure out your attachment strategy.

Edit: Just realized the op is almost a year old

4. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Would love to know how these attempts turned out. Thinking about buying a couple Emgo exhausts.

5. specialk

specialk Active Member

I have the emgo shorty mufflers on my 82 XJ550R and they clamped on really nicely to the stock headers. Just make sure you get a high quality clamp and cut some slits in the end of the muffler to allow it to clamp onto the headers.

Attached Files:

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

thanks for bumping this thread , as you can see it got the answer needed to complete the thread:)

7. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

How do they sound compared to stock.

8. specialk

specialk Active Member

Theres no comparison, it sounds so much better in my opinion. At lower rpm's it's relatively tame, not loud enough to piss people off, but as soon as you get above 5000rpm they absolutely scream. Heres a short video but the mic doesn't do the sound justice at all. Sounds much angrier in person.

9. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Ordered. Thanks so much for following up! Rad.

Could you take a close up of your clamp? Does the Emgo slide over the header? And you weave the clamp through?

Sorry, never swapped mufflers and want to be prepared.

10. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

How long have you had it on?

11. specialk

specialk Active Member

Yeah I'm in university right now but I'll get pictures when I get home. Mufflers have been on for only a month.

12. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Thanks man. I'm sure it's pretty self explanatory once you get the old ones off and have a look. Much appreciated!

13. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Your bike looks great by the way. I'm jealous of that tank. Mines beat to hell. haha

14. specialk

specialk Active Member

Yeah it's a pretty simple process. Most crucial thing is to cut slots with an angle grinder or the like in the clamped end of the muffler otherwise you'll never be able to secure it to the headers. Also there's a mounting bracket that comes with the muffler's, it lines up nicely with the passenger foot peg bolts. Just have to drill a hole in the tab and you're good to go.

Thanks for the comment on the bike, I certainly got lucky finding it. In regards to your tanks, there's nothing a little bondo can't fix!

15. 81550Seca

81550Seca Member

Bondo is the plan. I actually ended up going with these mufflers instead. They have the slots cut into them and a reducer. Hope it all goes smoothly, but how often is that the case? I am hoping to find some panniers soon. The extra length might push the exhaust past them.

I did end up ordering clubman bars too... probably shouldn't have... but, I learn the hard way, haha.

If you had to give a ballpark, how much shorter do you think your brake lines would have needed to be for the clubman bars to fit nicely?

16. specialk

specialk Active Member

Oh nice, those are pretty cool! Yeah the the ones I have barely extend past the passenger pegs and would probably blow exhaust gasses right at the panniers so the extra length will help. Haha no worries, you shouldn't have a problem making them work, just going to take a lot of fiddling. I'd say a 6" reduction in brake line would be sufficient, it may be better to use one long line instead of the stock 2 line setup because with club man bars the angle from the master cylinder to the junction may be pretty harsh and it could be difficult to route the lines.

17. mc1oo1

mc1oo1 Member

SWEET, i just installed these on my bike yesterday. Totally dig the new growl and look of the XJ's with these shorties on.