1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 XJ 750 Wont Stay on in First Gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RaCCoonRoCkStar, Apr 14, 2016.

1. RaCCoonRoCkStar

RaCCoonRoCkStar New Member

Hello Everyone,
    I have not posted in a long time. I have been going through a bunch of stuff like divorce n moving n vehicle issues blah blah...

I know, I know... Not your problem... ha ha ha!

Here is my issue.
    Last year the bike started having a weird issue. It will start up without a problem. As soon as I pull the clutch in and put the bike into first it kinda bumps forward (VERY LIGHTLY) and shuts off... It always had that little bump when getting into first but never caused an issue...

I thought it was the kickstand switch so I tried bypassing that (no luck... a tutorial would be nice ha ha).

I am wondering if maybe the clutch cable isn't pulling far enough? I don't know. Maybe this problem is common. I don't know. HELP! I want to ride again...

- Eric

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Have you tried adjusting the cable?

Gary H.

3. RaCCoonRoCkStar

Thanks for the reply...
    How/where is the adjustment my?

Thanks,
    Eric

4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

k-moe likes this.
  5. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If not a clutch adjustment then likely the safety circuit is deployed and the TCI is disabled (no spark) when placing the bike in first gear. You can check a part of the safety circuit function by trying to start the bike in gear. If you have a working clutch switch and side stand switch then the motor should turn over if you place the bike in gear, pull the clutch in, and put the side stand up. If the safety circuit is functioning and the clutch was frozen or poorly adjusted the bike would lurch forward when the starter button was pressed.

So explain how you bypassed the side stand switch. The correct way would be to tie the two wires together at the main harness connector so the L/Y and black wire are shorted together. This will engage the side stand relay which will then keep the TCI enabled whenever the key is set to on.

You can also temporarily remove the side stand relay, which disables the portion of the safety circuit that disables the TCI.

Side Stand Relay:
    has a blue paint mark or blue locking tab shroud on the bottom of it.
    on all 1982-84 XJ750 Maxim/Midnight Maxim models: under the left frame side cover, on the plastic regulator-rectifier mounting plate.

6. RaCCoonRoCkStar

- Thanks for all of the responses...

I ended up getting her to move. I had to bypass the Kick-stand sensor. It starts up n works now. I will (in the future) have to get the sensor replaced. I'm sure someone has it online. I have t get her tunes up. Not sure if I should go to a shop or if someone has a good write up on how to do one.

Thanks Again!
    Eric M. Sharo

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The vast majority of shops will over-charge you for a half-assed result.

There is much to do besides a tune-up.
    Safety items, such as brakes, must be addressed.
    Valve clearanes must be checked.
    Make the assumption that none of the required matinance was ever done and you won't be sorry.
    Begin reading here:
    The Information Overload Hour.

A service manual will also be required.

rocs82650 likes this.