1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tuning issue and fuel issue

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jmilliken, May 22, 2016.

1. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

I am having a carb tuning issue on my bike that has been absolutely stumping me. like crazy. lots of long term issues that i can't seem to correct... at all. here is my run down of issues:

1. I keep getting fuel in my oil sump.
      1. petcock has been rebuilt and does not leak
      2. float needles/seats are brand new, fuel levels wet set perfectly to the low side of spec
      3. fuel will only got into my sump in 2 ways (i even added an emergency fuel switch)
        1. when i leave the petcock on prime and the bike is off and let it sit for a while
        2. when i ride the bike
    2. I cant get my carbs to sync. (real YICS tool + Rick's homemade manometer)
      1. sync 3+4
      2. sync 1+2
      3. when i sync 1/2+3/4 it wont sync
        1. idle increases as i bring it in
        2. idle will not go down - even after idle screw is backed fully off of the adjustment plate.
      4. colortune is way rich with 1/2+3/4 out of sync and point where the bike is at the closest i can get and bike at proper idle
      5. colortune is white/orange flashing with sync in 1/2+3/4 and high idle. the color doesnt change until the pilot screw is completely closed.
      6. re-checked sync on 3+4 and now 4 is out slightly (how?)
    I seem to be getting extra fuel leaking from the main itself when the bike is off, float levels are perfect. With the idle adjustment off the plate completely, the bike is running at 3500. opening the throttle or tightening the idle adjustment increases the RPM as expected. There are no air leaks either. When the bike runs, it is rich no matter what i do. I'm hypothesizing bad main needles/seats. I can't lower them any more. When I add air to the mix (i popped off a vacuum cap)... the bike dropped to idle, then stalled after a minute or so.

I also checked my carbs letting them on my bench rig (level) for a few hours and it felt dry around the jets. however, could the angle on the bike open up the needle enough to let fuel seep out the main?

1986 maxim xj700, Stock airbox, stock jetting, MAC 4 into 2 exhaust with straight pipes, Dyna coils only modifications.

Any other thoughts?

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Leaking enrichment circuit somehow providing constant extra fuel.. ? No idea how it's getting into the oil however - if it's as you describe it doesn't seem possible.

3. jmilliken

well the leaking whatever. it is so rich, it's almost like there is unburnt fuel going through the cylinders sometimes, and it would seep down through the rings same as if the floats were bad.

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I believe those are Mikuni carbs. Double check the fit of the seats and the o'rings to make sure they are a snug fit. The o'rings can leak with temperature change and flood your lower end.

5. jmilliken

They are hitachi hsc33

Float Needles and seats are brand new

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Don't leave petcock on prime it should be on position IE with engine not running no fuel should run out of petcock only flow should be under vacuum . What are you using to synch carbs...I use a 4 vacuum gauge set up , have you pulled butter flys? If so it is possible one or more is not centered right( don't ask me how I know this :rolleyes:) I would pull carbs back synch screw out hold carbs up to light see if any light shows around plates..if it does you need to adjust plates. Use a buisness card under plates to do a bench synch you should be able to pull card out with just a little drag you should be close. Put carbs back on and see how it runs ..just my take.o_O

7. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I think you have two unrelated issues. First, I think your bench sync is off, e.i. the butterfly plates are open too much. When doing the bench sych make sure the idle adjustment screw is in the middle of its travel so you will have sufficient room to open or close them to get the proper idle speed.
    Second, even though you have new seats and needle valves fuel has to be getting by them in order to get into the oil. I have an 85 XJ700N with the same carbs and it's easy to have an overflow when the correct setting is 1mm +/-1. I wet set my carbs after installing new seats and solid brass needle valves and left them hooked up to the fuel source for a couple of hours and then rechecked the settings and one was so high it was leaking fuel. I ended up setting my float levels at 2mm.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

but are the fiber washers that go under the seats new?

9. jmilliken

They are copper washers I believe.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

start with 1/2 then do 3/4
    i think i asked before to pull the fuel line when you parked it. if you have the fuel line off you should see the gas go down and empty the clear fuel filter.
    so now the petcock is out of the picture, if the gas goes down it's a float valve. if it's a float valve on one carb the gas has to go to the top of the bowl and into the throat, that carb cant work for awhile the next time it's started, look for a cold pipe

jmilliken and k-moe like this.
  11. k-moe

The copper washers go under the main jets.

12. jmilliken

xx3) Aftermarket Hitachi main fuel jetSPACER WASHER, round flat copper washer goes under the head of the main fuel jet. Perfectly replaces missing or bowed originals.

HCP887 Aftermarket Hitachi carbs main fuel jet SPACER WASHER, each:
    $ 4.95

All I found in len's catalog.

Like I was saying before. The gas only goes down when it's parked if I put it on prime.

13. k-moe

The fiber washers aren't in the catalog because they normally come in the carb rebuild kit. Trust me, the fiber washers go under the float valve seats to seal them when they are threaded to the float bowl inlet. If you don't remember putting them on the float needle seats, then that is where your leak is coming from. The reason that it only overflows on prime is that your petcock is working correctly. Even if the petcock was faulty, fuel can only get to the crankcase three ways;

1. Through a hole in the petcock vacuum diaphragm allowing fuel to run down the vacuum line.

2. Through a leaky float needle.

3. Through an ungasketed float needle seat via the threads for the seat.

#1 will allow fuel to enter the crankcase at all times.

#2 and #3 will only allow fuel into the crankcase when either the petcock is set to prime, or the petcock is leaking fuel due to faulty seals.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    XJ550H likes this.
  14. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

My float seats came with copper washers. Just saying...

15. jmilliken

I have copper washers on my float seats.

I did check my fuel filter last night (full), then this morning it was empty....

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Copper fuel valve rings were original.....the replacements are red-colored fiber. All o' y'all are correct.

If you have your floats set on the low end of spec, that would contribute to floats that can leak.

jmilliken likes this.
  17. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

There are many different versions of the HSC fuel seat WASHERS, because there are many different versions of the SEATS.......OEM, and a variety of different manufacturers/style of aftermarket seats.

The original Yamaha seats used a copper washer, about 1.00mm thick.

The aftermarket washers can be a red fiber material, clear plastic, or aluminum, and the thickness can vary from 0.48mm all the way up to 1.00mm thick.

You really should use the washer that comes with the seats that you purchase. Although some versions are very similar in initial thickness (i.e. un-crushed 0.48mm aluminum vs. 0.54mm red fiber washers), their thickness after install will vary.

Dave is correct, all the original Yamaha float valves used 1.00mm copper washers.

Tabaka45 is also correct, the fuel level settings on the HSC33 carbs is very finicky. Heck, tuning the HSC33's is an overall finicky process......

The HCP887 copper washers are for the main fuel jet, not the float valves.

All that being said, I don't have any real insights into jmilliken's issue(s).....it seems as there may be multiple issues involved, although if you are getting gas in the crankcase, then certainly the float valves are leaking, petcock on prime or not. I would recommend Tabaka45's advice and set the FUEL LEVELS as large as possible (he used 2mm), and use the clear-tube method of setting them, not any funky "float height" method of setting the floats.

jmilliken likes this.
  18. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

One other thing: the above info regarding the seat washers (all except for the OEM Yamaha seat) can vary over time, i.e. the different aftermarket mfgs. have been known to change the material and/or thickness of their crush washers.....whether this is due to a part substitution or that they have switched to a different seat mfg. is unknown, but it happens.

Also, one supplier of the aftermarket float valve units provides incorrect assembles......they just won't work. Last we heard is that theu were using a 0.96mm thick aluminum washer with those sets.

19. ant797

ant797 Member

i got a carby kit from taiwan boxes had yamaha symbols on them came with new float needles i installed them and carb started leaking i was going mad trying to set the float level motorcycle enginneer told me i got a dud a way to check for leaks is take the bottom bowls off turn the carbs upside down and suck on the fuel hose if theres any leaks you should hear from a perticular one if theres none you wont suck air ...you can get dud float needles

20. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Pictures would be nice to see if we can pick anything out.