1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wiring brake light.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by CaptHeavy, May 27, 2016.

1. CaptHeavy

CaptHeavy Member

Alright guys I finally finished up most of my bike. Had to wire a whole new harness and rebuild carbs and all sorts of stuff.

Anyway! I've got to wire up the tail/brake light. PO had cut the wires coming from the rear brake. I've got what looks like a brown and a yellow wire. Which is which and where am I putting them?

Also, I ordered a rebuilt master cylinder and it's got two male prongs for the brake switch. Any idea what their for? Which is which? Do they both need to be connected?

Sorry for the noob questions, learning as I go. Thanks guys!

2. CaptHeavy

CaptHeavy Member

Figured out the rear brake. Now what about this front brake?

3. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, I ordered a rebuilt master cylinder and it's got two male prongs for the brake switch. Any idea what their for?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    er, for the brake light.
    the male prongs are on the brake light switch fastened underneath the brake lever post.
    there should be 2 wires from the harness to the switch
    which bike?
    stu

4. CaptHeavy

CaptHeavy Member

750. Where to I connect these two leads? I'd assume I run power from the fuse panel to the switch and then from the switch to the brake light?

5. wingwax

wingwax New Member

Hey all, mind if I piggy back on this thread? I've got a similar issue with my '82 Maxim. I just mounted a new master cylinder and it has to prongs to marry-up to the brake wire, but the current brake wire looks like the one in the attached photo: s-l500.jpg

Anyone know how I can make the new one work?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It's really best to start your own thread.
    Simple rewire with spade terminals on one end and barrel terminals on the other using the switch that is on the new master cylinder.
    One question. What is the bore size of your new master cylinder?

7. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    750. Where to I connect these two leads? I'd assume I run power from the fuse panel to the switch and then from the switch to the brake light?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    yes, that would be it, I see you have rewired the harness.
    so as you said, run a wire from the ignition switched fuse ,to the switch. then from the switch to the brake light
    stu

8. wingwax

wingwax New Member

Looks like the new one is bigger: 16mm. Am I in for some brake locking nightmares?

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

It should be fine.