1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ600 Cafe Racer project

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by GoCrazy, Sep 13, 2016.

1. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Hello there,

This is my project that is about to get finished. It's based to 1990 XJ600 that I bought in a good condition. Things I did include:
    - rear frame modifications
    - XJ 550 gas tank
    - aftermarket British style, 7" lamp
    - led turn signals and rear light - bought on ebay, nothing fancy
    - powder coated rims
    - reduced wire loom
    - custom made seat (epoxy resin)

Attached Files:

Flying Dutchman likes this.
  2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Brilliant, at last. I always wanted to see a 550 tank on a 600. In 1984 I had a XJ550 and in 1991 a XJ600 but I always much preferred the look of the 550. Because of that I put a 600 engine into a 550 rolling chassis in the past year or two.
    But I always fancied mono-shock look too.

Did the tank go on OK? No chance to fit teh side panels I guess. BTW I just had some 598 decals made in the style of the 550 an they look good - better than the avatar - just need to finish spraying my spare panels then fit-up..

Thanks for sharing, more pics please

3. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

I also prefer the 550 look :) Unfortunately, I could not find any bike in good condition. XJ600 seems to be more popular, spare parts wise as well. The tank needs minor changes - XJ 600 has a bit wider frame just below the tank, the difference is minimal, barely 0,5 cm - 1cm. I had to hammer the insides of the tank a bit and I used a insulation tape to wrap up the frame in possible contact points - just in case. You will also have to modify the rubber cushions (sorry if I mix up the terminology, obviously English is not my mother tongue :) ) - they have different length - I used 80 grit sand paper. I don't remember for sure, but I have welded new " U" shaped mounts for the rubber cushions. In my case I wanted to lower the tank to get more aggressive posture of the bike. It's quite probable that you don't need to re-weld the mounts. If you are planning to run clip ons - your handlebars might collide with the tank, depends what clip on angle you prefer. I don't have this issue. In general, it's more or less plug'n'play swap :)

4. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

more pics pls! looks good.

5. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Some pics I took yesterday. The last one shows a side cover from aluminum sheet. It will be bare aluminum for some time, alter on I'll have it powdercoated.

IMG_20160915_185230.jpg IMG_20160915_185602.jpg IMG_20160915_190936.jpg

Flying Dutchman likes this.
  6. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

looks really good! the one thing that stood out to me was the tach/speedo, I would lower it to the top of tank level...but very cool

7. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

It will be mounted in a different way once my custom top triple tree clamps are finished :) The one mounted on the bike is just temporary.

8. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

image.jpeg
    You making them? I made them for my project.

9. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Nice work guys - thanks for posting

10. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Hey, I managed to start the bike - runs like a charm :) I also took a photo of my custom triple clamps. I need additional milling to do - 1mm around the bolt. For the moment it looks like this:
    IMG_20160922_215038.jpg

11. sybe

sybe Active Member

Looks great!

12. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Thanks :) I borrowed an ellectronic manometer from a friend, hoping to synch my carbs. Also, I found a small oil leak around oil filter.

13. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

Nice job! What did you use to make slots for the pinch bolts?

14. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

If you mean those two bolts that tighten the clamp around each forkleg, I haad them drilleed at a local cnc Shop. I think they have used a drill press or something.

15. desmotom

desmotom Active Member

Oh I thought you made them....cost a lot?

16. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

The clamp was measured and cut by a friend of mine so it's a little bit different. I know thaat he makes them for others from time to time. I can ask about a price.

17. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

Carbs - locked and loaded
    IMG_20160924_162542.jpg

18. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

IMG_20160926_190759.jpg The seat has arrived

19. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

So, I fired it up and had a ride around the hood. The throttle cable needs shortening and re-routing - at the moment it's under the tank but when I turn right the "wire" inside the cable gets pulled and the bike revs up. Also, one of the exhaust manifolds needs some wiggling as I can hear some exhaust leeks.

20. GoCrazy

GoCrazy Member

So, my happiness didn't last long. It turns out that my bike has cold starting issues. When I try to start it cold, without choke it starts right away and after a 2-3 seconds it revs up a bit and goes down until the engine dies. After that I need to hammer the start switch for 30 min until the battery is dead until it starts again. Luckily, I have a battery that's used as back up for audio installations ( high power stuff). So these are the facts:
    - Originally it the bike was 54 hp but I switched carb boots from 72hp version. I did not change any jets as I concluded that new boots would give more air making the mixture too lean (apparently it's otherwise)
    - the bike runs stock airbox, new filter, original 4-1 exhaust
    - I asked a friend of mine who runs a shop to clean the carbs, I assume he did a good job
    - one of the pilot screws was stuck and got destroyed while removing. I managed to get my hands on a single carb (#4, first from clutch side). I replaced the carb body, using all needles and removable stuff from my original carb. Here's the first mistake I made - I did not check the needle valve/seat. I put it on back together.
    - I managed to start the bike, when the engine was warmed up, I balanced and synched the carbs.
    - after 2 days bike has a hard time starting when cold.

What I did so far:
    - I found a small air leak from one of the exhause manifolds ( will get it fixed this weekend)
    - sparks (brand new) - black, sooty residue
    - I can feel some unburned gas ( might by the gas that I spilled on the floor accidentally :p )
    I am no expert but all signs on heaven and earth point to rich mixture

What I plan to do:
    - replace all needle valves and set the float again
    - check floats if they're stuck
    - check for gas smell in the oil

Is there something that I may have skipped? Should I check something else?