1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Good information on Pods vs Airbox

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sybe, May 22, 2017.

1. sybe

sybe Active Member

Couldnt find the Pod thread, so i thought i would place this here.

Based off the video i might make some alterations to my pod inserts. Seems like the real issue with going to pods is filtration of particulates. Nothing a coffee filter cant fix! cant wait to smell the exhaust!

Stephen Downey, Andy555 and Taylo105 like this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Sorry to rain on your parade ...PODS Suck if you get caught in the rain an engine full of water is no fun. CV carbs do not function at peak performance with the velocity of air from pods and you will have a flat spot some where in the power band not to mention having to experiment with jets . Another item overlooked if you insist on running pods you HAVE to fabricate some type of bracket to support the back of the carbs DO NOT reply on the intake boots alone to support the weight of the carbs eventually the boots will crack . I've worked 30 years on bikes so I have seen this before so yes I'm biased My Honda CB750 could flat run away from my buddies Suzuki 1100 ...he had pods ...after getting caught in the rain and flooding his engine ..he put the airbox back in and I helped him synch it up right he could not believe how well it ran afterwards .

3. sybe

sybe Active Member

Le sigh, its the same argument with you over and over again.
    • the flat spot can be reduced/removed with proper tuning. Be creative, nobody is saying it will be easy. If you watched the video, which i am guessing you didn't, the video even says its hard to tune and takes time and to properly do it, you need a dyno.
    • flooded engine from rain? really? To be honest the rain has some merit, not as much as you think. You can fabricate an inner sleeve inside the pod that works as a velocity stack and a rain shield. If that is not enough you can make a snap on rain shield that will deflect rain from pods as you ride. Your legs will also do some of that for you...
    • If you are concerned about a bracket you can rig some support using tie wraps or... you can make one... Not difficult. Want me to draw one up?
    • pods are great, like anything in life they can work when you put time into it. No one is saying they are a plug and play system.
    Now to address the larger issue in this thread... The video was posted as an informative lesson about pods, velocity stacks, airboxs, air flow, and cv carbs. The video goes on to explain how things work and why they dont. It also goes through pros and cons for all. I really wished you watched the video before you posted your rant.

Any mention of pods and you seem to fly off the handle. While you have an opinion about pods that i disagree with, i respect it. what bothers me is i don't think you respect our decision to run pods on OUR bikes. As a Pod lover, I have fully thought about all of the obvious implications you mentioned. I also offered up on this website, ways to possibly fix or come close to fixing them. I do this trying to add value and to help spark creativity and a conversation. Instead of ranting about a carb bracket, why not offer a solution to the problem?

My mantra:
    I love pods, they make my bike look cool and i dont care about a loss in 5 to 10 hp during an rpm range that lasts a few seconds! Lets shorten it... I LOVE PODS! Now its your turn!

Stephen Downey, steber and Andy555 like this.
  4. Jetfixer

Good for you Im not knocking you or what you do to Your bike . But there are newby out there that do not properly tune their bikes in the first place. Ripping out the airbox to put pods on and not getting their bike to run. As to the xs1100 in I believe they use a flat slide carbs which is different than the CV carb. But I could be wrong. I' m so sorry I have offended you was not my intention . I won't voice my oppion on pods but all I know my bike runs fantastic with the stock airbox and have not touched my carbs in over a year ...have a nice day

PilotSmack and k-moe like this.
  5. sybe

sybe Active Member

I don't want you not to comment. Comment but add to the conversation.

The video points that out about slide carbs. I really recommend watching it, which was the point to the posting.

The video take aways...
    • Slide carbs are better for pods.
    • Cv's work but there is a lot of work involved.
    • Explains why velocity stacks work.
    • Shows why pods dont work as a plug and play
    • Explains why the biggest issue with pods isnt the flat spot but particulates. Pods filter out around 98%. Stock airbox does like 99.8%. The different between them is estimated to be about 4x more engine wear for pods.
    • To do pods properly you need a dyno to test jets at different ranges. No dyno, means its harder to do and wont know for sure.

Stephen Downey likes this.
  6. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

Would love to see a success story with an xj and pods.

7. Jetfixer

Sybe you may know what your doing with the carbs pods , but I feel that there are folks out there that think that pods will turn their bike into a Hyabusa . Many don't realize the steps involved if your going to race bike ok but for day in day out use you may to fiddle with jets . I know I upset you was not my intention this was your post , I tried watching clip but kept cutting out on train .

8. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Sybe has successfully fitted pods on his bike.
    Not my thing and not Jet's either. ;) Most members here prefer stock; a stock XJ has some serious get up and go. Pods do look cool and some get bikes without an airbox so going to pods could make sense.

Truth be told these bikes require a balancing act for reliable performance. Adding pods adds a variable that was not in the original engineered design of the bike, hence it can become a tuning nightmare. :eek:

In my opinion Sybe took an analytical approach and has achieved successful results . . . Somewhere on here he has a thread explaining what he did to get there.

Jet's statement is valid, many new members jump onto the pod wagon and then get frustrated (as do the members here trying to help) because, as stated earlier - there is no exact science (jetting/ air flow, etc) to tuning an XJ with pods.

Stephen Downey, Franz and k-moe like this.
  9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The whole discussion of pods on this website has always been in regard to how they are a royal PITA to use with CV carbs (seeeing as how all models of XJ come with CV carbs). Never has anyone recommended against using them on any other type of carb.
    Pods have their purpose, and that purpose will not suit every need.

10. Taylo105

Taylo105 Active Member

It's not my thing either, but I'd love to see more people be able to successfully do it. This site has a wealth of knowledge on the bikes. So we can continue to expand it and help an future xjer make the bike they want.

Bleechmint likes this.
  11. k-moe

This is not unlike wanting to see horses walk on their hind legs. Sure it can be done, but is it really worth the effort (particularly when there are alternatives)?

12. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Like this?

Bleechmint and Stumplifter like this.
  13. sybe

sybe Active Member

Here is the thing, has anyone watched the video i posted? The video doesnt promote pods as an easy thing. In fact it tells you if you run pod you will wear our your motor 4x faster than an air box.

@k-moe the pita direction doesnt always come across as sincere. i am sure you answer the same questions here over and over again. I even witnessed new users with bad ideas get ridiculed over it. Telling them what they did was ugly but thats beside the point.

People are people. If they want to attempt pods without reading or understanding then they get what they get. There is enough information in the stupid carb question thread that if you rename it, add a disclaimer, this video and delete the unnecessary posts you can prolly make jt into a pod sticky.

Disclaimer: pods dont work for 90% of riders and only usable in 75% of weather. If you try it read here for a start, if not and you attempt it... then we dont want to hear it.

14. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Just watched the first 10 mins at work (lunch break.). Guy sound knowledgeable and credible. He admits there is no 'silver bullet'. I will not be changing to pods anytime soon (probably ever) but this is interesting nonetheless. Give it a chance watch the video..

15. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

that guy who did pods didn't even like the cv carbs, so he did this

so if bling is what you're after, i think it goes like
    1 FI
    2 flat slides with pods
    3 hogfiddles carbs and air box
    4 hogfiddles carbs and pods
    5 cv carb and pods
    if you want performance is what you want
    same order.
    notice cv carbs and pods is last, go for it

16. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

The horse video . . . that guys nipples must chafe wearing suspenders without a shirt!
    The original XS video . . . educational and supports that some bikes just won't perform at peak efficiency with pods (as well as shortening the engine life span.

Both videos - subjective viewpoint of one subject - doesn't make either one gospel.

Maybe there should be a POD sub-forum where 'everything POD' (pro and con) could be discussed and any newbies wanting direction can go to find the best way to fine tune their bike.

Honestly - both sides of this issue have their heels dug in the dirt and posts are becoming redundant. No one is wrong for having their beliefs - what is wrong is trying to get someone with an alternative viewpoint to accept your belief . . .

sybe likes this.
  17. k-moe

@sybe

Sometime before the weekend is over I'll put your original post into a new thread and lock that one. I'm hesitant to remove discussion posts from an open thread. So far this one has remained civil, and I'll leave it open so long as that is the case.

18. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I have had success with tuning FJ600 carbs with pods. This video only shows aggressive acceleration but was civil in traffic as well.

Stephen Downey likes this.
  19. k-moe

A thread for the video alone has been created, stickied, and locked. Discussion can continue here.

20. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

Thanks.