1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New XJ650 builder! "Sort of Youtuber?"

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jish, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Jish

Jish New Member

Hi there!
    A few weeks ago i recently picked up myself a 91 XJ650 seca

Very different to my previous build that was a little 1977 cb125.

I make videos on my build process and i have been told to join this forum for its wealth of info and usefulness when it comes to these bikes!

Anyhow i look forward to spending some time on here!

I can't seem to link my videos right now but if you are interested ill share some links

I've attached photos of my current and previous bike :)
    LRM_EXPORT_20180727_100823.jpg IMG_9170.jpg
    Thanks!

SpearChucker, chacal and XJ750DB like this.
  2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

That's not a 91. By 91, they were the Diversion style
    Also, pretty rare machine, 1 year only, with pretty limited numbers produced. Think carefully before making any modifications that can't be reversed...
    *Standard XJ650 disclaimer...

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

^^^^^+1 What Matti said save it don't hack it They are the 650 Seca is rare and getting that way by the day!!!!

4. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Rare in the us, ten a penny in the Europe. Still worth preserving though, if that's your thing. Best of luck either way. I might be interested in any bits you remove.

k-moe likes this.
  5. lupz

lupz New Member

Whats your youtube channel?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Look at where Jish is from. The Seca 650 was made for other markets for several years. It's only a rare model in North America.
    Also, typos happen. Just look at any random post of mine for proof.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

In my defense, it's also rare in Australia...

8. lupz

lupz New Member

Most XJ's are rare here though. Still doesn't mean there really worth anything though.

9. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I grew up, ok I was born, in Birmingham and anything, bike wise, that's rare here are a dime a dozen there. Which just made me think, maybe my brother can get a decal kit for my bike. He's all about the Kawasakis and the Ducattis but he might. Cheers!

10. Jish

Jish New Member

Sorry it was a typo. It's an 81

This bike was sat for 2 years ( and thats as much as i know about it ) but most parts are rotten or corroded.

My plans are to keep it fairly stock with the only major modification being charing the seat and having a hoop welded in.

Im doing a front end conversion using a Triumph Daytona 955i because the forks on this bike are in a very bad state. not to mention the entire front brake system is no good.

Im not here to upset anyone with what i am doing so if customising isn't your thing, simply don't follow :)

If you wish to find my channel just type in "Jish" on Youtube and you will find me as its not letting me link on here

11. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Jish,
    Welcome aboard! You'll have to get to 5 posts before being able to link anything.

By the looks of your CB build you are no stranger to modifying, but most here have seen others hack up what could have been a nice older machine, and hope you can understand their voice of reason.

Looks like it already has a 4 into 1 exhaust that may be salvageable?, and Pods. The stock airbox is ideal for getting these to run their best with the CV carbs. I agree that you'll need to replace the forks and sure the brake upgrade is a smart move. There are always lots of little things that will need attention, and plenty of resources here to help with your build.

Tony

12. Jish

Jish New Member

I fully get it :) i appreciate clean and looked after examples but i just don't agree when people shame others for not keeping it original. Im not saying that this is the case here but i have had it before with the CB

The exhaust has rusted inside and when i got it fired up it spewed bits everywhere so i will most likely be going custom with this using the parts i can

13. Minimutly

And don't be put off by the anti pods on here - they do it for good reason, but if you're willing to put the time into jetting, needles and springs they'll be fine (provided you use k&n pods not the cheapie chinese rubbish).

14. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

Just watched the end of CB125 build and the first 2 parts of the Seca 650. Wow, I’m impressed. Amazing job on Honda. I’m looking forward to what you do with the Seca. Cheers!

Jish likes this.
  15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I wasn't trying to shame anyone. I just said to think carefully. I don't mind a modded bike.

16. Jish

Jish New Member

Appreciate it :)

17. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

The being against pods is because many that post on this great site are new to riding and wrenching on bikes. Those that are a little gray and know what we are doing it is a little different. Understanding how subtle a jet change can make it run great at higher rpm and barely idle to running perfect at idle to stumbling at mid range are all issues that have to be worked out. I'm sure JISH is well accustomed to tuning his bike and will have no problems , I'm not against anyone modifying or customizing their bike , but certain models and years are more plentiful than others , personally I would rather see them preserved and that is just me , but it is not my $$$ (sorry no pound button) and not my bike all good :D

18. Minimutly

You could be talking about people or bikes here....

19. Minimutly

Agree with that.