1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Trailer full....treasure or trash?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by 1965soda, Dec 27, 2018.

1. 1965soda

1965soda Member

A few weeks ago I hooked up the trailer and headed north. Appointments with Craigslist sellers made, two full thermos's of coffee, a map, a max amount for each bike in mind, and an envelope of cash with my spending limit.

First on the list was the 82 650 Seca. Low mile bike, neglected, but thankfully kept inside. Aftermarket fairing is a little weird but probably worked well to keep the wind off. Seller wanted to bring it in to the shop that went through the carbs and try to get it to run better but I convinced them that I was going to pull it apart anyway. Struck a deal for a little more than I had hoped, but I just could not leave it behind.

Another 90min north I was looking over a 03 ZRX 1200R. Although the bike was not "meticulously clean" as advertised, it was in pretty good shape and ran OK. Low mile machine as well and the seller recognized the bike needed some attention and agreed to let it go for a reasonable price. I will admit to being a sucker for these machines....this is number 3.

2hrs east and I was looking at a Husqvarna dirt bike. I knew this was a mess before I got there and it did not disappoint. The good is the motor had a fresh rebuild (receipts from a couple years ago), had great compression, and a nice flat slide Mikuni. :) The bad...no title, rear subframe is tweaked, and it is missing some parts. All that said, it may be the best $25 I have spent. My son (home for Christmas break) cleaned up the carb, flushed the fuel tank, sorted some electrical issues, and installed a new intake manifold. We got it to fire on Christmas day and wow....that thing is loud!

Regarding the XJ650, Hogfiddles is kindly looking through his overstock inventory to see if he has any of the items I need to track down (that were removed when the fairing was installed). I am just going to bring in the needed parts for now as I have a couple other machines to sort out first. When I dig into it, I will start a project/refurb thread similar to what I did with the XJ900.

Thanks and I hope you all have a super New Year holiday!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    Franz, Jetfixer, SpearChucker and 2 others like this.
  2. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Nice collection for a single trip. Well done. That fairing on the Seca is an odd looking thing. I have not seen one like it before. Any indication on the inside who the manufacturer is/was? Have fun and Happy New Year!
    John

3. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Hi John. Your assessment of the fairing is spot on....odd, weird, interesting....not typical. I did pull it off the bike but did not look it over real closely. I would be happy to do a little investigating this weekend and report back. If you have an interest in it....I could see if I have a box around and estimate shipping. If you cover shipping...I would be happy to send it your way. I do know there are some small cracks in the fiberglass around one of the signals.....so it would need a little repair to make it look nice.

Jack

4. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Thanks but my interest is pure curiosity. I thought at first glance it was a Rifle fairing but I don't remember them making anything that angular. My favorite fork/handlebar mount fairing from that era is the Shoei FMs. I had one on a 2001 SV650 and it worked well, rode wonderfully and looked nice, at least to me. It looks like you made a nice haul on that trip. I would rate it as "Treasure".
    John

5. JetmechMarty

JetmechMarty Active Member

[​IMG]

I thought this one was the same. Similar, not the same.

6. 1965soda

1965soda Member

Good morning. Over the holiday, I took a look at the fairing that was on the 650 Seca and I cannot find any identifying information. It looks like there is a small recess on the outside, just below the screen where there may have been an emblem at some point....but it is not there. Unfortunately, I am not sure what brand or model it is.

If there is anyone who has an interest in it, I would be happy to give it to them. I may try to post it on CL for a bit but if there is no interest, it will get tossed out.

Thanks!

7. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Vetter Quicksilver fairing

8. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

That is a beaut of a ZRX. Beautiful bikes that I've always loved. Happy New Year! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I had a 03 ZRX 1200R in blue, NEVER should have sold it :mad: So I am really happy for you that you have your third...(envy face goes here)..lol Good story and thanks for sharing.

SpearChucker likes this.