1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm new here.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by spacetiger110, Feb 11, 2019.

1. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Hi. I'm Jay, and I've recently purchased an XJ900RK as my first motorcycle.
    I understand that this is something of a rare bike, and it seems like a lot of people here are really into restoration and keeping things stock.
    I'm going to level with you, I wanted a CB750C or CB900C or a KZ, but I found this bike on Craigslist for $500, running, with two brand new unmounted tires, filters, plugs, and factory service manual.
    I love riding this bike, but visually it's not really my style. My plan is to turn it into a street tracker over the course of the next year or two while keeping it rideable (even if it may not look too great at times).
    Am I welcome here? I want to be a part of this community and be able to ask questions while I'm doing this build, but I don't want anyone getting mad at me for altering this bike. I'll end up with some stock parts for sale for anyone who needs them.

2. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Welcome Spacetiger
    You have arrived at the holy land for xj bikers.
    And yes that 900 is a rare bird. And what gun did you point at the previous owner to get such a deal;)
    IMHO turning that into a street tracker would be a shame. There are plenty of other xj’s to do that to. That being said we will help in any way we can and watch eagerly as the build progresses.

I have an xj650rjc, Xj750rl and a cb900c . The bikes are all stock and I am still searching for my own 900 rk

Attached Files:

Timbox and Simmy like this.
  3. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

I can appreciate your opinion on customizing it, but it's just not me in its current state. Thank you for still offering your support, it means a lot. I would have made any CB or KZ or XS I got into a tracker, too. I just feel like a dick asking for help customizing a bike that I know the people I'm asking for advice don't want changed.

4. xHondaHack

xHondaHack Active Member Premium Member

Jay, welcome aboard!

Saw that bike posted on C-list and looked like a great deal for the money they were asking. Thought about buying it, but lord knows I don't need another project.

Being a model that was only imported to the states for one year, makes it desirable, and somewhat collectible.
    While it might seem that it's best to keep it "stock or mildly customized", it's your bike and you can choose how you want to build it.

Some members have done some unique and cool stuff, but we all agree, you'll need to make sure it's safe to ride.

One of my bikes I imported from Canada, and have done so many improvements and upgrades I've lost count.
    The latest is adapting an FJR1300 front fork set that requires a lot of custom fabrication. Have I ruined the potential value? Probably, but it's my bike, and I'm the one who gets to enjoy having something truly one of a kind.

Tony

Timbox likes this.
  5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Jay, welcome and enjoy the site, so much information and great people on here. Sense this is your first bike, you should do a bit of reading on how to make it safe and what to look for with this model. I understand you will be changing things to make it be more you and I think that is great.

If you can fine a Motorcycle Safety Foundation
    https://www.msf-usa.org/students.aspx
    or a ABATE location that is a great start to have a long and safe driving exsperiance.

Again welcome Jay and can't wait to follow your project.

Tim

6. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tim.
    I took a Total Control beginner's course to get my motorcycle endorsement and the instructor told me to come back for the intermediate course when I have 3k-5k miles under my belt and I intend to be there at 2,995.

7. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, Tony. Getting it safe is definitely my first priority and comes before any cosmetic upgrades. First order of business is probably going to mount a temporary speedometer because replacing the cluster, fairing, and headlight are scheduled for the late stages of the build and my speedometer isn't working.