1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

85 XJ700

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Michael CK, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Michael CK

Michael CK New Member

my apologies... the forum would only allow me to post in small chunks

2. Michael CK

Michael CK New Member

Background: just bought an 85 XJ700n not running and unverified engine, has pods, was told it was re-jetted and had a hi idle after running a bit and warming up and has a fuel leak.
    I have verified leak in the fuel rail between carb banks 2-3 after putting it in a guillotine.

3. Michael CK

Michael CK New Member

My plan was to split the carbs on bank 2-3 and replace the o-rings to get her running and check out the rest of the bike... from what I have seen I need at min 4 o-rings for the fuel rail between banks 2-3... and it is suggested "via the church of clean" Chac... said I should do the idle screw washer and o-ring.

4. Michael CK

Michael CK New Member

I was also planning on doing a lite cleaning of the carbs with cleaner and wires. Fuel smelled pretty old...Are there any other replacement parts I should be thinking of to make my diag go more smoothly without going too deep?

5. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Hi Mike,
    I too just recently bought 85xj700n, I had to clean and kreem tank. took the carb rack off to check bowls for rust/gunk... should have done a complete rebuild on carbs then. "everything". the carb/airbox boots are a pain to get back on mine. bike runs great til it gets warm.. then 3000rpm idle... no obvious vac leaks..... so, next for me is check/correct valve clearance - go medevil cleaning, replacing carb parts- colortune air/fuel - vacume sync. .... then probly have to do all over again.
    EVERYTHING you can ask about these bikes has been pretty much answered here already .
    my advice is to take the advice the guru's freely give.

Jetfixer, Timbox and Michael CK like this.
  6. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Mike,

Go deep. Do it right. Consider finding an air box and the correct jets for said Air box. Ask specific questions here in this thread. If you need parts, click the top right hand corner of every page here on the forum. Len works through email and has what you need.

I bought a non runner (1985 xj700n) a few years ago... She purrs now because of this place... Haven't looked back.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What problem are you experiencing in that regard? There are no word-count limits for posts.

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Do the carbs right the first time. Otherwise you're gonba be frustrated by chasing circle after circle.

9. Michael CK

Michael CK New Member

It was really weird. I was posting via mobile, and was getting "this looks like spam" alert from the system, which prevented me from posting. So I looked around in my original post for items that the system might consider spam and could't find anything. So i thought maybe it was a false alert, so i tried just posting a single word and it went through. So i edited that single word and started posting smaller sentence pieces of my original post and each time i did that it would post fine.