1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ550 Maxim rebuild

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ryengoth, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I'm in the midst of a rebuild and will post some pics and information on what's been done and going to be done. The bike has 18k miles on it and it is in good shape overall. I was getting around 180psi on compression tests but had to pull the head because #1 exhaust cam cap was galled with deep grooves. The cam looked OK but to do it right I decided to replace it all with better bearing surfaces. Another used head is on the way and I should have valve work done soon. A set of 1000mi cams came in and are getting micro-peening at WPC. Hope to have the frame painted, engine cleaned/buffed and re-installed this month.

2. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

The image linking is not allowed? I keep getting a spam error.

3. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

4. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Engine is out and used head has been cleaned up from most of the carbon. 2 cyls have had valves lapped going to finish that tonight. Waiting on stem seals and cams to come back from WPC so I can finish the head rebuild. The rear swing arm bolt was seized and I managed to mushroom the bolt end so a replacement is on the way. Got the rear wheel sanded down and ready for some paint. Bearings are in good shape, cleaned and repacked the hub ball bearing and spacer. Swing arm and valve cover paint coming up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Looking good so far!

Ryengoth likes this.
  6. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

7. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Head and valve work is waiting on stem seals now. Hammer and gloss initial paint on the valve cover. A few steps to go before it's finished. The bossed sides will be aluminum. I've started on the tank and managed to blow a hole through the biggest dent with my cheap mig. Needless to say I'll be moving back to TIG to fix the tank and getting a stud gun to pop the dents. :(

8. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

9. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Well I can't seem to get a hole closed the tank with the TIG so I have to dump it. Not wasting my time on it right now.

10. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Here is the "new" cam pair. Should have them back in a few days. I will try to do a comparison image of the journals post-treating.

[​IMG]

New Viton valve stem seals are in. Don't forget to put the spring seats in before the seals. :rolleyes: All of the valves and buckets are back in. Waiting on the cams and plastigauge to finish the head work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Tape over the hole, and re-line the tank with an epoxy liner (like Caswell's). You can then finish it as if the hole was never there.

Ryengoth likes this.
  12. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

I am going to weld it over eventually and seal it. I just have too much else to focus on with the bike in 1000 pieces.

k-moe likes this.
  13. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

As you can see, that small hole ended up eroding into a larger and larger hole. I got quite a few dents out with the stud gun and then *boom*, big hole. I tried to weld a border to stop it but there's just so much rust on the inside that it eventually blows a hole as I'm tracing. I'm using 1/16" rod and tungsten with no more than 80A max and it still blows through sometimes at 40A. I'll eventually get it closed up and ground back to form but it's going to take a lot of patience, rod and time that I don't have right now. :( The tank might be a replacement anyway. I'm not sure as there is no part number stamped on the bottom anywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Took off a bunch more accessories so the frame is almost ready. The plan is to replace the harness since someone chopped it up. I'm going to get a replacement headstock sticker since all of the stamps match on the bike. I think for the time savings and durability I will get the local powder coater to handle the frame, stands and swing arm. I need to pull the head apart anyway and check all of the bearings. I'll eventually get around to the forks and front wheel assembly but I want to get the engine done and rear wheel done first.

[​IMG]

15. k-moe

With that much rust causing you to blow through it I think it should be lined anyway.
    It would suck to do all that work and end up with new pinholes bubling the paint.

Ryengoth likes this.
  16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Whatever tank I go with will get POR-15 treating inside before I do any outside painting. I'm going to be spraying 3-layer metallic on the tank and side panels myself with a HVLP gun. We'll see how it turns out since I've always used rattle can enamel.

k-moe likes this.
  17. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Half the case is cleaned, including the nasty drive sprocket area. The alternator cap has been wire wheeled to bare aluminum and buffed with green and blue compound.

[​IMG]

The valve cover is done. Clear needs to cure. Hammer and gloss came out great.

[​IMG]

chacal likes this.
  18. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Anyone recognize this spring? The oil sump fairy left it in the pan for me. Do not see it on the crankcase or strainer parts view.

[​IMG]

19. k-moe

I'm not as familiar with the 550 as I am the 650/750, but that looks like the spring from the camchain tensioner.
    What ever it turns out to be, it does not belong where you found it :)

Ryengoth likes this.
  20. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Winner winner chicken dinner! You are right, I remember now briefly seeing a spring drop put of sight when I pulled the guide up. :D The carbs just ruined my night, will post pics in a bit. :(

k-moe likes this.