1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Purchasing xj650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MaximusXJ650, May 17, 2019.

1. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Hi from across the pond!

So at the weekend I'll be going go look at an 82 xj650 American import. Over here in the UK we have a government run website that let's us check when a car was last taxed to use on the road- in this case it is 2003. So I think it's safe to presume that the bike hasn't been run / moved and has been in storage ever since.

My question to you all is, is there anything I should really be looking out for that have tell tale signs of a hard life or whether it is likely to start?

To my knowledge the bike has no service history and doesn't start. The seller has informed me that it turns over but believes there is an issue with the engine cut out switch on the side stand and the clutch cut off. He also said there was a way to bypass this - wizardry!

My plan, if I purchase said bike, is to do the basics... change sparks, fresh oil, flush the old fuel out and new battery and see how far this gets me.

2. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Picture of the bike:

Attached Files:

Jetfixer and 650MAX like this.
  3. 650MAX

650MAX Member

The bike in the pic looks nice, good luck!

I can't say for certain that there is no side stand cutoff switch, but my '82 will definitely run sitting on the side or center stand. (EDIT-- I was just reading about the sidestand switches since you mentioned it. Apparently mine has been bypassed. DOH!) I just got mine a few weeks ago in running condition and have been going through everything. Coincidentally, the last time mine was licensed was '04, just one year off from the one you are looking at.

From my admittedly meager experience I would say that if you get the bike you will want to go through everything. The original brake hoses as I have read are designed to last 4 years! Many guys are using stainless replacement hoses. Also you'll want to check your rear brake shoes carefully as the linings have been known to delaminate and lock the rear tire unexpectedly in some cases.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

this link tells about all the relays and switches
    The Ultimate Relay, Switch, Sensor, and Diodes Guide

to bypass side stand switch you disconnect the relay.
    clutch switch you just unplug it in the headlight bucket. with it removed the bike will only start in neutral unless you cut the wires from the switch and twist them together. then the bike will start in gear.

your plan is maybe a little flawed.
    look at milage and do all of the maintaince items for the milage.
    your tires are likely bad

you will want to inspect the rear brake shoes as the shoes tend to delaminate this will cause you to stop unexpectedly. your brake system will need a full rebuild.

read this The Information Overload Hour

this is how to clean carbs IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN.

adjust/check the valves Bigfitz's AIRHEAD VALVE ADJUSTMENT with Pics - parts I & II

this link has many how to do it threads
    https://www.xjbikes.com/forums/forums/xj-diy-how-to-instructions.21/

MaximusXJ650 and 650MAX like this.
  5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Just as a point of interest what kind of money are they asking for bikes like that?

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Read the first link in my signature.
    As with any machine that has sat for an extended period of time, be prepared to go through everything.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Great find! That is a good looking bike for just sitting for yrs. I would take a good look inside the gas tank as well, just in case it is all rusted. If and when you get her, start a new thread so we can follow along on the maint.

MaximusXJ650 likes this.
  8. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Thank you to everyone for the comments, they're much appreciated!

Here's a little update - I purchased the bike, for 500 hard earned British pounds as a none runner. I got the bike home and straight away changed the spark plugs and oil - there was only around half a litre of oil in there!

The bike wouldn't start on the button but would turn over (not start) if I bypassed the solenoid

I checked all the kill switches and all were fine except for the kick stand one which had been chopped near the kickstand and as well as under the seat. The wires weren't connected and were just wrapped in electrical tape - I reconnected the wires at each end, bypassing the switch.

At this stage the bike still wouldn't turn over on the button.

My next check was to start poking around with a multimeter to see if power was going where it needed... this lead me to the the fuse box.

There was a poor connection on the ignition fuse holder so with a little sand paper, and a push of the start button, the bike fired up and stayed running.

The only issue I have is that it doesnt like being ran without choke so I believe my carbs are going to need stripping and cleaning.

Thanks again to all for their comments!

Thank you for this. I'll make sure to give everything a read!

He asked for £500, I've been looking online and cant see very many, or any at all for sale in the UK

I sure will! I work Mon-Fri and the weekends are spent with my other half so finding the time will be hard - she wasnt best pleased when I came home with the bike!!

9. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

I'm yet to service the breaks, front caliper needs stripping as I believe there is a blockage.

Back brake works but could do with being changed so a full overhaul is going to take place.

Fuel lines actually look ok, it had cracked at the opening where it meets the petcock so I cut this down for a secure hold - same with the breather pipe.

The seat is aftermarket, all lights work as they should and it only has 20,400 miles on the clock! Now whether this is accurate or not I have no idea!

Next steps are to lubricate the handle bar switches and service the brakes. I'll also look to clean the carbs out - retuning them looks to be a nightmare!

Once done I'll submit for an MOT to make it road legal!

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you will want to replace the fuse box with inline fuses or a new box the clips like to break off

cgutz and MaximusXJ650 like this.
  11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

+1 Once they start to go on one fuse you know the others are right behind it. Might just as well plan on putting a new fuse box in there. There are many different types, just see if you can get a lower unit to clear the seat.
    Congrads on the bike!!!

MaximusXJ650 likes this.
  12. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Do they require a kilometre speedo for MOT ? If they do, I have one if you need it.

13. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Thank you both for this. The fuse box doesn't look like its in the best shape. I've found a local seller who has all the parts for a UK spec xj650 for sale minus the frame (this was corroded and was scrapped) and he only wants £100 for the job lot. So maybe this is a worthwhile investment?

I don't believe it does as we run in MPH in the UK, however upon inspection my bike has both MPH/KPH on the speedo.

14. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Hopefully a better close up.

Had to jump from my car as no battery was supplied. I have one on order which should come tomorrow

Attached Files:

Jetfixer and 650MAX like this.
  15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Those pipes are interesting, I wonder stock or not? That is a good looking bike.

MaximusXJ650 likes this.
  16. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

I don't think they're standard to be honest. I think they're called pea shooters

17. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

So I've been tinkering with the carbs recently and I thought someone would appreciate this video of the xj650 without one of its exhausts attached - it was a result of over revving

To date I've acid cleaned the fuel tank on the inside, stripped and re-synced the carbs, new rear wheel bearings and new drum shoes.

Next on my list is the front brake caliper - I found the last section of piping to be clogged so I'm awaiting a replacement - it seems hard to find here in the UK.

20190606_220016.jpg 20190526_192847.jpg

18. MaximusXJ650

MaximusXJ650 Member

Can anyone direct me in the right direction for the torque sequencing for the valve cover on an xj650 maxim? (82)

Thanks

19. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I dont think there is a sequence set forth by the manufacturer, just start with the middle ones and work your way out

MaximusXJ650 and k-moe like this.
  20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^What he said^
    Finger tight if you don't have the proper torque wrench for that low of a value. The bolt shoulder seats against the head, and if you overtighten them the head can crack.
    The rubber doughnuts provide all of the clamping force.

Chitwood and MaximusXJ650 like this.