1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New, new, and more new.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DJT, Jun 6, 2019.

1. DJT

DJT New Member

79A97B99-2C57-4654-8759-2A9B708909F2.jpeg 2CDDF6F7-A934-42F0-948D-E0D928EAA7D7.jpeg 2D5550BE-E430-4E70-B6C9-DEECC06D5DE8.jpeg I’m new. To the forum, to ripping into perfectly fine motorcycles, and new to ripping my hair out because of said motorcycle.

Quickly, I’m 44 and union tradesman Married, kid #8, yep... I said 8, on the way. Pittsburgh Kid, now in the suburbs.

Currently looking at my first project and slightly frustrated. I think I’m pretty handy and that’s what lead to me taking on this project. New turn signals, handlebar, mirrors, fairing, speedo, tach, headlight, and lots of lights around the outside. I’ve owned it for 20 years and own another, and I’m looking at selling it and buying a new bike for the wife and I. She wants armrests and a radio. Anyways, I digress.

Here I am. I’ve got the bright idea of saving the computer of my 81 seca 750 and mounting it inside a clear box, visible under the screen of the cafe fairing I bought. It should fit, the box is coming. I have it taken apart, and now I’m left with the task of rewiring it. Problem is, Life got in the way and I’m 45 days into the project and have forgotten what went where, and the Haynes manual is becoming my best friend.

I try and figure out the picture thing, the preview isn’t the correct orientation. Pics of where I am, what I’m basically working with and of my stepson checking out what was stored away in Grandma’s garage that rarely saw the light of day. I’ll be posting regularly and I hope you guys don’t get sick of answering the same set of questions you probably have answered 100 times before.

Attached Files:

2. DJT

DJT New Member

5005F1ED-005E-4D1B-BD67-6FA32A61F317.jpeg 365C5A7B-AEBF-448F-A48A-6182399E6D3B.jpeg All hope is not lost, i haven’t done any irreparable damage yet. Yet.

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Looking good. Not many have relocated the systems monitor, but those who have did a good job of it.
    The one I like best machined a new housing out of aluminum for both it and the gauges.
    I'll try to find the thread.

4. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Astonishing, you look so young.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the mask takes 30 years off in photos