1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

550 Seca kill switch /start issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Trvpstar, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

Hello, I’m new to the xj world and recently picked up a 550seca for a cafe project. Long story short upon owner ship I chopped the frame grinder all unnecessary tabs and was ready for reassembly push start button broke off now bike won’t start. Ordered new killswitch/start assembly wired it in and still no start. I jumped the solenoid and bike turns over. Can someone explain to me why the pigtail from the harness only has 2 red wires and one blue and the killswitch pigtail has said wires plus a ground?

What am I doing wrong? I’ve tried doing research and everyone’s situation was different from mine, I’d really appreciate the help for a noobie /:

2. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Maybe a spare ground in the headlight shell connecting to headlight 'ear' bolts.

3. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

My thing is why would I need to create another ground if it worked before the way it is?

4. a100man

Franz likes this.
  5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

The kill switch "controls" 12V+ to the starter solenoid among other things and the start switch completes the ground side to the solenoid. The will be two smaller wires going to the solenoid )positive and ground) and then two wires up front for the kill switch and two wires to the start switch including the ground. Do you have a wiring diagram?

6. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

I don’t have a wiring diagram, I’m mainly on my phone so when I search it up Most of them are needing java to be downloaded

7. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

This probably sounds dumb but I couldn’t find anything on this info, would the reason my start button isn’t working because my kickstand isn’t down? It’s been on the center stand since ever since

8. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

The safety circuit will allow the starter to engage if:
    • The bike is in neutral <or>
    • The bike is in gear with the side stand up and clutch pulled in
    Are there any modifications to the wiring harness?

9. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

The harness seems all stock

10. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Some of the older versions relied on metal contact from the control assembly to the handlebars to supply the ground for the low side of the starter switch. If you add painted handlebars this can cause an issue with the starter button completing a path to ground. Since you have 4 wires out of the control switch and only 3 on the main harness (missing ground) the bike would appear to be setup so that the handlebar supplied the ground.

So, options are determine if you did something that removed the bars from ground and correct that. Cut the black wire on the control and tie it to ground. Find a spare pin for the engine main harness connector to connect to the control black wire and tie that to chassis ground.

k-moe and XJ550H like this.
  11. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

I did swap the old bars for some clip ons that makes sense I will try that out, thanks so much

12. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

Ok found the solution, seems like Rooster35 was right about the original metal bars and using that as contact for the ground. I installed the new start/kill switch and grounded to the frame now it cranks from the start button!

On a side note.. bike just cranks and won’t start jets probably clogged? Been about 3ish weeks since I started it

13. a100man

Yer don't say..:rolleyes:

14. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

set to prime for 5 seconds to get fuel into carbs. also make sure you have fuel in tank

15. Trvpstar

Trvpstar Member

Carbs were primed and there’s half a tank