1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New member 1981 xj750....Simple wiring with a cdi question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mercuno, Jan 14, 2012.

1. mercuno

mercuno Member

Ok I have been lurking for a while now and saw a few examples of the simplified harness and from what I can gather it is showing the cdi is to be grounded??

as in this posting
    http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=35129.html

I have never had a yamaha before. I am a noob but I know a hint about wiring.

I bought a beautiful ground up resto mod 1981 seca 750 for 400 bux. after putting it together and trying to start it to no avail he apparently bypassed the cdi?????? Can that be done????
    still wouldnt start and like a magic rainbow with a pot of gold I appeared. I am so happy to own this soon to be monster but before I go and ground the cdi to the frame I would like some clarification as to wether or not I will start a nuclear meltdown by doing that. Glad to be here and thanks for any help. Tommy

2. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

You don't need to ground it, the ground is in the wiring.

Maybe this helps (I have tested this on the bike after writing it)
    [​IMG]

3. mercuno

mercuno Member

that is exactly what I have been looking for ...I will do this 2morrow. thanks for the pic brother.

do you have any more of those fancy diagrams..I will take all I can get. I know nothing of yamaha and I am about to completely hack this wiring up tomorrow.

Is the output on all of the pins model specific or universal. or do I need to dig up what exactly the pinout is for my 81 xj750 k or m or whatever it is?

thanks again.

4. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Here's a fancy pencil drawn diagram

5. mercuno

mercuno Member

Re: New member 1981 xj750....Simple wiring with a cdi questi

do you have a pinout on the reg/rect? is the one to the brake light actually the constant on tailight?
    you are awesome by the way

6. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

The pic I posted for the ignition is for a 1981 XJ750 Seca, it may be the same as others but I never had the need to research it.

7. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Taillight I wired on with the key, its been a couple years since I wired it, the brake light wire from the fuse box splits and runs to the rear, and front brake switches. The wires are much different lengths in life vs. drawing. Basically the wire feeds to the switch, then when the switch closes it feeds to the light to turn it on. The reg/rec has the factory connections, basically just have to feed the powers- brown on with key, red hot always, but fused.

8. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

After looking at my diagram my wiring feeds the rec/reg and the brake light with the same fuse, could seperate if you wanted, but I have had zero problems with my wiring.

9. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

People I need help with the wiring, I have a XJ750, but I don't know which color goes conected in which pin on the CDI, do any of you have a picture of the CDI 5G2-10 wiring?

10. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

darkfibre has the connections identified above, and here is a picture of a XJ550 that uses the same wiring colors

upload_2019-8-16_8-37-52.png

Fer93 likes this.
  11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

old thread but info is info

all TCI not cdi wire the same. some models do not have the sidestand switch so the black white wire is not used( and does not have to be used) . it is an important safety feature as it keeps you from making a bad left hand turn with your side stand down

you have a seca so it is XJ750RH maxims are XJ750H and XJ750K (82 and 83) and of course the XJ750MK 83 midnight Maxim. The R stands for Seca the other leter is the Year

G=80,H=81 ect

12. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

20190816_143934.jpg Rooster53 that was really helpfull, I really appreciate your help, I was trying to do the wiring, but sparks are not working. Maybe the TCI or CDI that I got is different than the one on the picture. My main concern is that I lose the la el that came in front of the ignitor, however I took a picture and Maybe you can help me with the wiring. Can you indicate the wiring color on this pic?

13. Rooster53

Well that picture above is not a 5G2-10 TCI. If you could identify what it is maybe there is a chance. It looks to be from a XJ700 (TID14-44), which reverses pin out functionality on the 4 and 6 pin connectors.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  14. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

That's the problem, I don't have a way to identify it, but inside of it, it only says Kokusan Denki made in Japan, 10 pins

Attached Files:

15. Rooster53

Post a picture of the entire top and bottom to help identify it. Maybe another member with a XJ700 could post a pic of the TCI wiring - I can't locate one that shows the 6 pin connector. You can go to Ebay and look up pickup coils and get the 4 pin wiring - that's assuming what you have is a XJ700 TCI, which is still in doubt.

16. Fer93

Fer93 New Member

I'll share picture tomorrow, but first help me identifying my Yamaha, is there a way to know which model I have? The guy who gave me the bike said it was a XJ750, but I'm not really sure of that, of course it says Yics, but Im not sure of the model... TY in advance FB_IMG_1561440528586.jpg

17. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

vin number is located on motor near oil cap.
    on goose neck there is number stamped into it on right side that will id frame

you have dual disc that is on xj750s it looks like 750 calipers
    but brake pedal does not look like 750 and you have a modified swing arm with mono shock