1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca 82 leftover project

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timbox, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I was lucky to come across an add on my local FB market place. Deal was so good I was just going up to get a parts bike. Rain and wind (as always) when you drive to get a bike, just seems to be the way it is.
    [​IMG]20191022_110059 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20191022_110108 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    I call this the leftover project as someone was doing some work on it. New ebay tank and seat.
    [​IMG]20191022_110448 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]20191022_110454 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Those pics are right after I got her in the shed, so still wet from road trip. I was able to take a look at her a little today, hand wash and look things over. Someone has already tried to change the fuse holder (pics to follow).

I checked the air box for critters, pulled the plugs and took a look see in cylinders, all good. Put a battery on her with some jumper cables and turned on the key...nothing. The fuse holders need help. After a little bit of messing around, the lights came on the ATARI (i think that is right) and hit the starter. I was shocked that not only did it turn over but I had spark on all four! That is where I stopped for now...the deer are calling for me to come to the woods.

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Save the bike looks like an easy project to rescue...remember they are not building these bikes any longer :( .

Franz likes this.
  3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

many a "Parts" bike can be saved with a little work. PO just could not find the issue.

if motor turns over its worth the try

Jetfixer and Franz like this.
  4. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

No worries, she is not being parted out. I was able to turn it over and have spark. I will need to get that fuse box out and new blade type in there. I have spark so the major job (as always) will be the carbs. I will pull them out and take a look see. The normal caliber rebuild, brake MC and check the valve specs. I looks like the valve cover has been off once, I am little shocked as the bike only has 9K on it.

The exhaust is a 4-1 that needs TLC, but can be salvaged. No side covers, but that is ok. Thinking of maybe changing out the bars, headlight and speedo on this one. Looks like the PO's might have been playing around up there a lot, so have to see. I will get some better pics up now the berry harvest is over and I can play with her when I am not hunting.

Franz likes this.
  5. XJ550H

9 k miles cover should have been off a couple of times

Jetfixer likes this.
  6. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It is great to see old bikes being put back on the road where they belong.

Jetfixer likes this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well got to work on the bike yesterday as the temps here really are dropping. Early winter temps for this area. Carbs have the normal gum on them.
    [​IMG]DSCN0016 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0019 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    And the old fuse box was changed out to this.
    [​IMG]DSCN0009 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

In the pic above you can see the rust splash. That is from a connector inside the wiring harness. Got that cleaned, put some more solder on it and then liquid tape. Pics to follow.
    The carbs are stripped and started on the front brake calibers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Finished up the two front brake calibers. Now to put the carbs back together and see if this beast will run. Going to pick up another project bike today. XJ700 with a lift table for a great deal. Could not pass it up! I will add to that story once the deal go through today.

9. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I noticed that the caliber is touching the disk on the right side. I think someone said they had the same issue and need to loosen the triples, and the front fender to take care of that issue. Does that sound correct?

10. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Compress the forks several times to verify proper operation. With the axle secured just loosen the pinch bolt on that side - adjust the position of the right fork leg to center the caliber within the disk - tighten the pinch bolt.

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks Rooster53,
    I have seen a video on YT of a guy doing that, makes sense. I also have noticed the left side of the headlight retaining rectangle looks a little dented, could have been down and caused the miss alignment issue.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Super fine rust everywhere! Wow not only the fuel bummed up but the bowls were just full of tank rust. Got them partly put together yesturday and I hope to finish them up today. Want to see if the bike runs before I go though the normal restore process. I am sure it will. Gas cap and key will have to be sourced too. Ebay or maybe someplace else for that. Need to check the headlight to see if I can bend it back into shape as well.

13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Nice 5 3/4" of snow we had last night...it is Nov right? Got the time to put the carbs back together today. Hope to see if she will fire up soon.
    [​IMG]DSCN0024 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

14. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

[​IMG]DSCN0030 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0031 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Had to do something with that fuse box. Yes I know I have a over fuse in there...just a place holder for now. Fist time I have to either rebuild or replace the front brake MC. The plunger was stuck in the up position and is just nasty. I have it tipped upside down on the work bench with some solvent in it, but I think it might be toast.

Dave in Ireland and Franz like this.
  15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Finally got back into the shed to work on some bikes! I got the Front brake master working and back on, still playing with the cable that was seized. The rubber coating on the cable was not broken so not sure what it was seized up. I would guess yrs of being out in the weather. Working on another set of carbs for the bike in the background, I want to do a bench test on both of them at the same time. I still need to star the paper work for this bike to get a title. Make sure it runs first and go from there.

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

The front brake cable finally came lose today. Still soaking and moving it to get the rust out of the inside. Looks like the cable is just fine, no nicks in it just a rust film as lube is put on it. I will keep at it and get it so there is not rust on the cable. I seem to have run into a issue with the right front brake caliber. I have seen this on another bike this summer as well and not too sure how they fixed it. The caliber seems to need a shim or the right fork needs to be moved. The right brake disk is hitting the caliber face.

Carbs checked out today, no leaks and wet set is done. Will be putting them on the bike shortly and see if this old lost project starts. If so, then time to do that minimal headlight and Avatar removal wiring on this bike. Going with a aftermarket round speedo/Tach and round headlight. If this bike had a better paint job and all the parts, panels and things I would keep it stock. But it does not, so changing a few things but not too much.

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Got the front brake MC all working, I was glad I had a vacuum on hand as that worked well to prime the system. Still looking at that right caliber and how it seems to be hitting the right brake disk. Hmmm

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

No oil in the oil window, no oil in bike? Check the oil plug, hand tight as was the old filter cap. No filter in the oil cover/cap. Replaced oil filter and buttoned it all back up, filled with oil. Decided to hand rotate engine around a few times as it was bone dry and sitting with no oil for how long? Took at look at all 4 pistons from the top just to make sure it was not nasty or something in them. Put each cylinder on TDC and sprayed some B12 chemtool in there to help brake up the carbon. Let is soak a bit and hit each one with high pressure air. That seemed to do the trick and really took a bunch of the crud off the top of the pistons.

Tried to start her and she wanted to, but nothing. Even tried to put my hands on the back of the intakes of the carbs to suck more gas in, nothing happening. Good spark, gas but nothing. Took a compression test, 100 psi across all 4, not good but should run. Gave her a hit of starter fluid in 3 &4 hit the starter and she started up, also started shooting all kinds of water out of the exhaust, after market 4-1. Let her warm up some with the normal steam, smoke and who knows burning off the engine and exhaust from sitting for yrs. I need to check valves and fix the valve cover gasket, good flow coming from above #3 cylinder flowing well. So more TLC but I know know that it is a keeper and not a parts bike. I was worried about the compression test being so low, how that maybe that will come up a bit once it gets running again. At least all 4 are very close to 100 psi.

20. XJ550H

your rings could be frozen may un freeze or may need some help.
    a little oil in each cylinder will help tell you. if pressure goes up with oil its rings. if not check valve shims