1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ700 package deal

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timbox, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes I got very lucky finding this! Nearing winter and the gentleman was selling this for his girlfriend. They had a tragedy in the family and just wanted it gone. I was lucky enough to be the first to call and in turn buy it.

Table, wheel calk, new battery, manual, kreem tank kit and motorcycle with title. Lets just say it was a GREAT deal.
    I look forward to working on the bike and getting it ready for many more yrs of riding.
    [​IMG]DSCN0029 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0028 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN0027 by Tim Brown, on Flickr

Rusty81, Jetfixer and Ryengoth like this.
  2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

I love my XJ700. Fortunately, it was running and all stock when I got it. Still took a lot of work to get it in perfect running condition. My best advice is to keep it stock.

Jetfixer likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Oh yes it will be OEM. Nice looking little bike, that little gas tank give it 100 miles between fill up? Front tire is so bald, I don't think I have even had a bike with such a bold front time.

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

If the engine is in good condition and you get the carbs dialed in perfectly you can probably between 40-41 mpg on the road at 60 mph. I have actually gotten a little better on 100% highway rides. Hogfiddles says he can get close to 45 on his, but I suspect that his is about as perfect as one can get. I think the advertised mileage new was about 45-46. I start looking for fuel at about 75 miles, but have gone more than 100–hitting reserve at about 95.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

700n , today at pump 2.6 gal's @ 85 mi. I get 32.69 mi per. bike is tuned and runs perfect .

"runs perfect" Did I just type that out loud ? - doomed.

6. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

That seems very low??
    My 650's and 750's used to get anywhere close to 47MPG, my current 750's get closer to 48...

How fast are you running, I'm not usually hanging about?

7. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

between 0 and 115 mph.

8. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yup we all ride very slow and never speed. ( my wife has left the room) mpg will be dependant on how quickly you get up to speed, how you down shift and how much you weigh in at.

kerriskandiesinc likes this.
  10. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I am not a cruising kind of rider, normally won't ride a motorcycle under 700 cc just for the fun factor. It seems the gas tank on these bikes just looks small compared to the Seca style tank. This is the fist XJ700 airhead I have worked on. My last XJ700 was the (X) so a little difference with this engine. Those coil packs up front of the gas tank for one, that is a little interesting.

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

makes them easier to access for testing/replacment. frame is also a different style than 750. motor is not burried under gas tank had to fill that gap with something so coil pack and chrome cover

12. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

I saw the ad. Congrats. Yes. Free motorcycle for you after purchase of the lift...

ive got two spare motors if ya need another down the road

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think once I get the tank and carbs cleaned up she will be fine. I hooked battery to her yesterday and gave the starter button a try. Engine turned over, most of the lights came on but the turn signals are non op. Carbs looked like they leaked a lot of fuel down the side of the engine, just the normal stuff for these older bikes. Paul (the guy who was selling the bike) was a really nice guy, we chatted for some time. He is a Cub Cadet man and is more into them the bike restoration.

14. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Hmm... mower... motorcycle.... mower.... motorcycle. I do love some nicely pruned bermuda in the summer after honing the blades. Those engines are a HELL of a lot easier to work on.. buuuutttt. :D Two-wheels are more fun. (At least if you avoid the roads here in Wilmington). Saw a couple laying in the middle median and their bike had a flattened right side. :( Left turn, red light runner. People blatently run red lights here, EVERYwhere and without any remorse. And, of course, no LEO is ever around until someone gets hit.

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Cleaned up the bike a little bit. Decided to take the carbs off. Used a heat gun to warm up the rubber on both sides of the cab bodies. It is winter again and rubber does not like to bend in my shop that is not that warm. These carbs take the winner for the most varnish leaked on the outside of any bike I have worked on.
    [​IMG]DSCN0034 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    The insides of the carbs were nasty but nothing like the outside and the engine under the carb bodies. I would guess that the PO never did a bench test to see if they were leaking or not. Put them on turned on the gas and the leak started. Gave up right there and left the gas on. Just a guess.
    [​IMG]DSCN0032 by Tim Brown, on Flickr
    Cleaned up around the plugs with a screw driver and compressed air. Pulled the plugs and #1 was just bummed up and nasty. I would guess from maybe test starting it at some point with it being on the side stand. #2 and 4 were new plugs and # 3 had a little bit of carbon on it but not much. Turned the lights off in the shop and turned it over with plug wires on, spark to all 4!

Have the carbs 1/2 pulled apart, letting all the jets and evolution tubs sit in some B-12 overnight. The gum on the outside of the carbs was so bad that the throttle wold not move. I though at first it was a bad cable, not the case, that much gum on the carb bodies.

16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Definitely going to need a soaking and probably a few pin pokes in the jet holes everywhere. Do you have a carb cleaning pin set? I'm looking at getting a jet cleaning assortment with those and brass brushes. Spray some CRC DI Intake cleaner in the cylinders and let it sit over night. The carbon will just dissolve into black ink. Yes, the "ink" will permanently stain everything porous it touches. Do it before you change the oil, in-case you have some bad rings.

17. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I normally spray some B-12 in the tops of each cylinder at their TDC. I let it set for a while, get a shop towel and compressed air (125 psi) and take care of the carbon that way. The air brings all the stuff up into the rag and it does a good job for the most part. Thanks for the tip thought. As for the small holes I use a stripped bread tie as a good poker for those holes. Normally the only one I have issues cleaning out is the enrichment hole in the bottom of the bowel. On this set of carbs they all were plugged and needed soaking and TLC for sometime before I got air to go through them.

18. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just puled the carb bodies apart today, make I have never seen more varnish on a carb set in my wrenching. Hoping I can save them as they seem to be okay just supper varnish. Will need to replace fuel and TB "O" rings for sure. A lot more soaking and then I will get them back together and bench sync them. Fuel bench test for wet set and then back on the bike. Nice to get back into the shop and do some wrenching :)

19. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Berry's Chem-Dip will melt it away like snow in summer. :)

20. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Thanks been working on that with "Q" tips and it is working, just taking a long time. Just need to wait on the cems to work and not rush things. Using the chem dip now one carb at a time. So this will take a few days. I can work on the wiring, changing the oil, brake fluid ect. All the other fun checks that need to be done.