1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 Xj550 Maxim restoration questions

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Spencer Minyo, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Spencer Minyo

Spencer Minyo New Member

Hey guys couple of questions for you guys that have done some work on these bikes:

1. I bought some front forks off of an 81 550 maxim to replace mine - from my research they should work. Can someone confirm this?

2. I have some corrosion on my rims (including the painted parts). Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean them up?

3. I have rebuilt my carbs, but i'm not really sure how they are going to hold up in the long run - they were pretty bad. Does anyone have any suggestions on new / performance carbs to put on it?

4. Finally this is my first bike and my first restoration project. Any tips or advice on things to replace would be great. The bike only has 2k miles on it, but it has lots of corrosion and rust

Thanks and God bless!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

1 all 3 years of xj550 maxim parts are interchangable
    2 stripe paint use brass wire brush and buff corrosion spots

4 speedos are not accurate what do you want out of the restoration? first thing to do after cleaning carbs is check valve clearances set to spec. then confirm motor is good start it up see if it runs. when you know motor is good . you can think about paint, rebuild brakes front rear mastercylinder and replace brake lines. check wheel bearings , replace fork seals
    motor runs bike stops now think about paint seat cover ect. you will not get the money you spent back when you sell bike.

check all the frame welds

3. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

Why don’t you think your carb job is up to snuff?

as long as you’re getting carb cleaner through the proper holes, the floats are set right, the jets are clean, and the needles glide down the emulsion tube then you should be good- also assuming you replaces ALL of the seals

4. Spencer Minyo

Spencer Minyo New Member

There is this strange corrosion on the body of the carbs themselves that seams to be eating away at the metal, causing concern if things will get into the engine, not seal properly, ect...

5. Spencer Minyo

Spencer Minyo New Member

Im doing a full restoration - it was my dads bike (so ill never sell it). I have previously confirmed that the engine runs and all electronics are good. I currently have it ripped apart and am working on having things re chromed, repainted, and re powder coated. Rebuilding the break system is next in the docket and the forks have been replaced (decided there was to much corrosion on the old ones). I make sure to take a look at the bearings. Thanks for the advice!

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

like white fluffy stuff that wipes off? i get that with some soaps in the little HF ultrasonic if their not rinsed real well. sometimes they get put back in with only water
    if your not painting them, just spray oil on them

Timbox likes this.
  7. Cattleman XJ

Cattleman XJ Member

It is indeed corrosion, an oxide. Zinc or aluminum I can’t recall which.

if it can’t be gotten off with a brass brush, I doubt it will flake off and cause problems

8. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

As the others above stated those carbs had been cleaned with something that I am guessing was not fully removed. You will have to clean them with something that will stop that action of that chemical. Dish soap or other lite soap will work. NOT simple green a de greaser or anything that is a deep cleaner. If they are all together already, get a old/new spray bottle and soak the outside of them well with the before mentioned solution. Get in there with a old tooth brush head and work it around a bit. Rinse if off good with water even some good Luke-warm water would be best and then see what you have.