1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Clutch problem after oil change?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by skurtaan, Feb 6, 2020.

1. skurtaan

skurtaan New Member

Hello guys.

I changed the oil and oil filter today. Used A9 Racing semi-synthetic motorcycle oil 10w-40.

After the change the clutch lever was suddenly super tight. I tried to adjust both on the lever itself and the mechanical adjust near the clutch itself to no good.
    Can this be caused by the oil?
    It's like the clutch is always engaged now. There is a big slack on the clutch lever(can't get it to grip because the wire is already pulled out it seems). When I start in neutral, and change to ex. 1st or 2nd gear (without touching the lever) I can still push the backbrake and the tire will stop, but the bike will still run, even in 2nd gear(as the clutch is engaged all the time).
    Anyone know what the cause might be?

Cheers

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

when the bike is parked and your not touching anything, the clutch is engaged. the motor is connected to the wheel.
    when you pull the lever to stop the bike, the clutch is dis engaged.
    when the motor is running and it's not moving, never force it into gear. your transmission hates that.
    unhook the cable at the engine and try to push the bike, engine not running

3. skurtaan

skurtaan New Member

I did that, and the arm on top of the clutch now snapped back to the position where it should be. The back tire now locked when in gear. It seems like the wire itself is stuck inside the "isolation". Cant pull it the tiniest to either of the ends.

4. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Oil change would not cause that problem. "Big slack on clutch lever" would seem to indicate a broken clutch cable. Are you saying that on the center stand you can not move the clutch lever on the engine and get it to change gears or to neutral?

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Time to take a look at the cable from end to end. There is something going on. I would guess it was a wear mark and that it got water in it and maybe some rust got going or worse. If you have "Big slack" now and nothing is working I would guess it broke. You just might want to take it off the bike and have a really good look and inspect how it is working. Overall condition of the cable to see if it is disfigured or out of form in any areas.

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if bike is on center stand bike in neutral tire will spin
    there should be 3mm play at clutch lever.

sounds like you need a new clutch cable if wire will not move back and forth when disconnected from lever and motor

7. skurtaan

skurtaan New Member

Okey, thanks guys. Tried to lube the cable with WD-40 overnight to see if that solves the problem.
    If not, do you guys know if a clutchwire from a ‘81 650 will fit my ‘81 750?

8. XJ550H

wd 40 will not do the job

HCP2703 OEM CLUTCH CABLE, for all XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models. Wire length = 54". NOTE: for owners changing over to lower-than-stock euro/clubman/Daytona style handlebars, the use of the XJ650RJ Seca clutch cable is a recommended substitute to allow for a more accurate cable routing.

HCP2646 Aftermarket standard-duty CLUTCH CABLE, triple adjusting nuts and black plastic end cap as original on clutch end, for all XJ650 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models, and all XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim models. Wire length = 53". NOTE: for owners changing over to lower-than-stock euro/clubman/Daytona style handlebars, the use of the XJ650RJ Seca clutch cable is a recommended substitute to allow for a more accurate cable routing.

HCP2704 OEM replacement CLUTCH CABLE, for all XJ650 Euro models, XJ650RJ Seca, and XJ650 Turbo models. This cable has a rubber accordion bellows boot on the end and a black spring armor guard, and while such features are not original, will fit and work properly. Wire length = 47".

9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i was given a .22 rifle because the guy oiled it up with WD40, put it in a case, a year later he almost shot his wife. because the firing pin was so gummed up it stuck out and fired when the bolt was closed. he was ordered to get rid of it. it was really hard to clean up

10. XJ550H

had to get rid of his wife ?

chacal likes this.
  11. XJ550H

you can lube cable with a plastic bag poke cable through cable make tight and add some oil into bag let soak over night.
    it sounds as if your cable is past lubing

12. WiscoMaximX

WiscoMaximX New Member

I do not know if I am posting this correctly, but I also have a clutch problem. When the bike is running and I downshift from neutral quickly the bike slightly jumps forward and then it is ok. Bike does not try to creep forward by itself or die, and the clutch pressure plate is fully disengaging from the clutch plates which I can visually see through the oil cap fill hole. Looking through the hole the pressure plate stays spinning with the clutch basket in neutral with clutch pulled in and out, obviously should be when its released. Pressure plate stops spinning when in gear and clutch lever pulled in until shifting back to neutral it then starts to spin again with basket without releasing clutch lever. I have adjusted the clutch cable as far as I can on both ends and problem still continues. Also the bike has less than 5000 miles on it and I replaced the clutch plates because they were slightly sticky figuring that was the problem. That clutch was original and now has a Barnett clutch that's new and never rode on. If I lightly press down on the shift lever with clutch lever pulled in I can both feel and hear the sincronizers clash before engaging. Problem also happens at high rpm quick shifting. The bike has Valvoline 10w40 wet clutch oil, and it is a 1985 Yamaha xj700 maxim x. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

13. XJ550H

14. WiscoMaximX

WiscoMaximX New Member

I had adjusted the position of the arm to the shaft on its splines after replacing the clutch, however I moved the arm one spline down yesterday and then reajusted the clutch cable. Now downshifting from neutral with any amount of force one the gearshift lever, the clutch does in fact operate as intended I believe. I hope shifting at a high rpm when riding that the issue is solved. Thank you for the help.