1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

83 Seca 900 bogs down.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, May 17, 2020.

1. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I just got a killer deal on a near mint 83 Seca 900 with 33k miles. I can't tell you how happy I am.

Unfortunately it has come with one noticeable issue. The bike seems to bog down when I open the throttle. It eventually gets there but with some hesitation along the way. I'll be at 70 on the freeway and if I open the throttle it's almost like I hit the kill switch for a second. The bike idles nice and revs nice and it doesn't bog down in the lower gears necessarily but from my experience I feel like it's lacking a little power. The actual bogging down is more noticeable at higher revs/speeds.

I just got the bike and haven't tried anything to fix the problem yet. Does anybody have any suggestions on what it might be. I bought it off the original owner and from what I can tell he barely rode the bike for the last 15 years. It just sat in his garage and collected dust taking it out occasionally. Any suggestions would be great. Thx

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

start with easy things. replace the air filter with a new o e m style, could be all you need

3. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Hmmmmm, I wonder.

Attached Files:

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

dirty , not that bad but if filter has been sitting for 15 years get a new one. eliminate it as the issue.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

C055AEAD-5553-4E1A-9C3A-BBCF39E89724.png

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Make sure to send a pm to me so I can get it onto the 900rk database, or update a file.
    Dfox

MrSeca likes this.
  7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

HI-FLO-FILTRO........that sounds like a quality part, they made covid 19 masks last week

MrSeca likes this.
  8. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

9. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Could I ride the bike without the filter for one quick ride to find out if that was the issue or not or should I do no riding whatsoever and wait for the filter?

On another note I heard only about 1200 of these bikes made it to the US. Is that true?

10. hogfiddles

I sent a lengthy post to your inbox......

dfox

MrSeca likes this.
  11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

96265F9F-4EA0-48C5-8EF3-F7F5F0173F55.png

12. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Bogging on throttle is a sign of lack of fuel. Take the filter out and go for a spin - no harm in it, but doubtful it will change anything. In theory it could be weak because you have a highflow filter, but I doubt it - maybe get a standard replacement?
    Take tha carbs apart and have a look in the float bowls, but before doing that perhaps an hour with some clear tube to check float levels might be a good idea?

MrSeca likes this.
  13. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Bogging down has been solved. Poured a little seafoam down the carbs and voila! This thing runs smooth.

14. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Could someone point me to a video or something on how to properly figure out how to put the wheels back on without the brake calipers rubbing on the rotor. I just changed the front and back tire but before I removed them I spun them and they turned as free as the air. Now when I put them back on they're rubbing all over the place. I don't know whether to secure the pinch bolts first or the axle nut first. The owners manual is extremely vague on this procedure. I only successfully done this once over a year ago but they were floating calipers and the 900 are dual pistons. Any help would be very much appreciated.

15. hogfiddles

Pinch bolt is the last thing to do

MrSeca likes this.
  16. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Can anybody give me some good tips on how to get the mixture screws right? I'm about to synch up the carbs on my Seca 900 and I always have a hell of a time with those darn mixture screws. What's the secret to getting them right? I have the Gunson color tune and I swear, I never see a change in the color when I use them. So in the past, I just put the mixture screws at factory standard, synch the carbs from there and call it a day.

But with the Seca 900 I'd really like to give it a go and get it right with those mixture screws. I recorded what the PO has them at and they're all over the place. I do not know if this is where the factory put them or if he messed with them at some point. If anybody has some good tips that would be greatly appreciated.

17. hogfiddles

Make sure you have no vacuum leaks first.....

MrSeca likes this.
  18. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I'm unfortunately getting the dreaded slipping starter clutch, can of rocks sound on my Seca 900. It has NEVER happened on a cold start since I have owned this bike, in fact, it very RARELY happens at all. When it does happen it's usually after I've been riding for a while and the grinding/can of rocks sound lasts only for an instant before the bike starts.

I've followed a few of the suggestion mentioned in other posts. I've removed the starter motor and sprayed carb cleaner down into the hole where the starter motor connects to. I ran Seafom in the oil for roughly 10 minutes at idle and then drained the oil for over 2 hours. I then changed the oil from the very popular Shell Rotella 15w-40 Diesel oil to 20W50 Castrol Motorcycle oil as I heard thicker oil can help prevent the problem and also it's been averaging pretty hot temperatures here in Southern, CA.

Also, when I removed the starter motor to spray carb cleaner I was able to turn the gear in there counter clockwise but was completely unable to turn it the other way (clockwise). However, I was able to wiggle it to and fro ever so subtly.

The other things I've done so far are a carb clean and carb synch, cleaned the rings on the alternator/rotor, changed spark plugs, new tires, new air filter, and valve check (all in spec).

I guess the real question is, should I be worried? What other things are worth checking ? Oh, and is the starter clutch different then the regular clutch? Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  19. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that is how the starter clutch works.
    starter clutch is located where the starter goes in, the drive clutch is on right side where you put oil into bike.

you may need to wrap a little teflon tape around mixture screws . mix screw has spring then flat washer then o ring in that order.

mixture screws will be in different positions when set

20. hogfiddles

I’m not too keen on the idea of trying to wrap Teflon tape around the mixture screws

Franz likes this.