1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1st-3rd gear only

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dk31285, May 23, 2020.

1. dk31285

dk31285 New Member

Hey everyone, I’ve got a 1980 XJ650 that I can shift from 1st to 3rd gear, but attempting to go to 4th and it gets stuck. Found some threads on a “guidectomy” so I drained my oil and pulled the side cover off. I tried watching inside as I shift through the gears, and took some 16gauge wire to gently prod around inside to see if I could dislodge any loose bits. I don’t see anything in there (not that this means there isn’t actually anything in there), but I’m stuck as to what to try now... any thoughts?

Video on YouTube:

2. dk31285

dk31285 New Member

Let me update quickly as I just noticed something while fiddling...

when it gets stuck at 4th, if I give the wheel a little forward motion, the gear will slip into place... Sometimes it’s the same to get to 5th, but sometimes 5th will go smoothly.

Do you think it will be a non issue with the weight of the bike on the ground and forward momentum of the gears while riding? Or is there something I should be weary of?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  3. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

Yea. you got to be in motion to shift motorcycle transmissions

4. dk31285

dk31285 New Member

Okay, I’ve been used to my current daily rider, an ‘07 zx6r where I can shift through any gear at any moment, can go from 1st to 6th and back even while sitting still. Picked this XJ up almost two years ago now to tinker with and rebuild as I have the time, and it’s getting close to hitting the road so wanted to make sure this wasn’t an issue. Thanks for the input!

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Will it go into 4th with the bike on the centre stand if you move the gear lever and move the rear wheel a little?

I found tiny plastic pieces in my sump but my gearbox was working properly.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  6. dk31285

dk31285 New Member

Yes, if I give the rear wheel a little movement at the same time, all the gears feel like they work nice and smooth. I’m hoping to have it out on the road within the next couple of weeks for it’s first test ride.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Missed that part about you moving the wheel in your update (was half asleep lol) . Hopefully it's going to be fine once you get it ready for its first run.