1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 Seca XJ650RJ

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tj., Jul 7, 2020.

1. tj.

tj. Active Member

After some remorse over the sale of my 82 Seca RJC (15U), I have brought home another Seca. Belonged to Jimmytime...thanks, James.

The bike has a 5V2 frame, a 5N9 engine and alot of spare parts. It is a U.S. bike brought into Canada in 91. The engine swapped, from a Maxim, in late 90's.

It's a bit of a puzzle factory...will see how the teardown goes.

Some pics...

IMG_3473.JPG IMG_3501.JPG IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3478.JPG IMG_3498.JPG IMG_3468.JPG IMG_3467.JPG IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3469.JPG

2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Part of the puzzle is because:

The 650rj was a non-YICS engine; the replacement engine is a YICS engine.

The 650rj had a mechanical tach; the replacement engine came from a bike with electrical tach.

the gauge cluster currently on Your bike is from the 650 Maxim; the 650rj Cluster is different

3. Jimmytime

Jimmytime Member

TJ - I'm so happy to see my beloved Seca end up in your hands! This was my second bike, but my first "real" one. We had many adventures together - including riding from Toronto to the Cabot trail and back. I spent hours and hours (and days and days) working on her (usually the carbs) and learned a lot amount motorcycles during the process. I had hoped to someday have the time and space to rebuild her, and while that didn't work out for me, I'm happy that you will be able to.

I apologize in advance for any weirdness and hackiness that you find! Most of the time I spent working on the Seca a) I was poor and b) my workshop was a parking spot in the street. There was fair amount of "improvisation".

I can't wait to see what you do with her and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need some backstory on anything strange you encounter.

Regarding hogfiddles post - you are correct! 3 weeks before a planned trip to ride the Dragon's Tail the head gasket completely failed. The rings/pistons clearances were so far gone it made more sense to buy a maxim and swap it's engine into the Seca. I moved the gauges along with it so the the odometer would match the engine. Still haven't taken that trip to the Dragon's Tail, but will one day I'm sure!

4. tj.

tj. Active Member

Thanks hofiddles, this I understand. It came with the Seca cluster, the km/h is on the outside part of the gauge...but 5V2? Maybe the cluster was changed previously? It should be in mph on the outside of the gauge...me thinks.

Then there is the TCI and coils. Currently aftermarket coils and Seca TCI box. It also came with the Maxim coils and TCI box. will have to research the differences.

The carburetion is again a bit of a puzzle....came with 2 complete sets, plus a 3rd set. 4 into 1 pipes with k&n filter...will have to confirm jetting etc. Best to use Seca carbs or Maxim carbs...dunno, more research.

5. hogfiddles

The carb bodies are the same.... jetting is the difference.
    Read ‘secret life of carburetors’ to find the jet set you want/need

tj. likes this.
  6. tj.

tj. Active Member

There is no reason to apologize! I'll be doing a fair share of "improvising" myself.

The workshop parking spot in the street comment reminds me of something very strange that happened to me years ago. I was working on a project in Australia. I was there for about a year, 28 days on and 7 off. On one of my "holidays", I was walking the streets of Brisbane when I came across a guy working on a bike in the street. He had borrowed a friends bike and it just quit...turned out to be a loose battery terminal. Anyway, I recognized him from the project...he was Canadian as well and lived in Windsor. I lived in Windsor as a child and didn't remember much other than the address. When I told him the address his face went blank...turns out he lives in the house that I grew up in as a child! OMG.

I'm sure I'll have questions for you. Thanks!

When you get to the dragon...don't forget to check out the tree.

BTW...hats off to you for keeping the extra Maxim parts. Starter, coils, tci, harness etc.

Jetfixer likes this.
  7. BigDizzle1209

BigDizzle1209 New Member

*New to this site just today.
    Can Hogfiddles help me with my carbs to a 1980 Yamaha xj650. My fuel tube seals are leaking. I assume that’s where the fuel is coming from. It’s the part of the carburetor where the fuel supply line goes to the carb. Thanks

Jetfixer likes this.
  8. hogfiddles

Check your inbox

9. tj.

tj. Active Member

Some more pics...
    IMG_3517.JPG IMG_3557.JPG IMG_3563.JPG IMG_3569.JPG electric part of the puzzle starting to unravel.

Dyna coils DC 1's primary resistance 3.6/3.6ohms (factory spec 2.9-3.2), secondary 14,300/14,050 ohms (factory spec 13,5-14,5)

TCI boxes (TID 14-02, TID 14-08) both for non-yics engines, same timing curves minus sidestand switch on TID 14-02.

Pick-up coil (5G2) 640/650 ohms (specs for non-yics 560-840, yics 520-780)

If I understand correctly,
    1. the pickup coils, although not correct for either TCI box, will still work as they fall into spec for both engine types (non-yics and yics)
    2. using the TID 14-08 TCI box , I can match the timing curve with the #195 pilot air jet (seems the only carb difference on a 650 non-yics and yics engines). This would cure idle and off idle stumbles often found when using a non-yics TCI box with a YICS engine.
    3. the dyna coils primary resistance is a little over spec, wouldn't think it would cause an issue with the TCI box.

Gents,
    Please, let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks.

10. tj.

tj. Active Member

Have a line on a TCI box for a YICS engine. TID14-06.

Maybe that a better route...dunno.

Some thoughts please...

11. tj.

tj. Active Member

Hmmm, I thought I would get a couple responses...oh well.
    I've gone with a YICS TCI box, made more sense...less troubleshooting questions.
    Anyway some more pics...

Attached Files:

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

remove nipple from petcock there is a little cleaning to do there and a small disc.

to repair horns you would have to drill out the rivets thats where the action is . 2 wire ends a set of contacts and a post making the motion.

whats the thing your grabing with vice grips?

13. tj.

tj. Active Member

Did the vacuum nipple, but I don't recall a small disc.

The horns both work, but same tone. Same part number on both...only difference I see are the labels on the arms (high tone/low tone). I adjusted the small bolt/nut on the backside, thinking it controls the tone.

Vise grips...bar end for mirrors. Rusted for sure. pics

Attached Files:

XJ550H likes this.
  14. tj.

tj. Active Member

15. tj.

tj. Active Member

Brake disassembly pics.
    Forgot to push out pistons before disassembly...good thing I had a grease gun.
    Right side leaking at caliper/piston...deep gouge on piston. Can't imagine that will buff out.
    Master needs rebuild...who woulda thought plastic sight glasses were a good idea.
    Couldn't find date code on lines...replacing anyway.

Attached Files:

16. tj.

tj. Active Member

Gas tank cleaning. Alot of info and different procedures out there. This is what worked for me...
    I did the vinegar soak followed by baking soda/distilled water rinse. Rinsed again with distilled water until it came out clear. It was followed by an acetone rinse and then a mixture of oil/gas to coat the tank for long term storage. Worked well...lots of rust particles and gallons of red water. I did not get the flash rust this time...tried previously but got flash rust within minutes. The difference this time was the acetone and coating with oil/gas quickly. Going to try the electrolysis method on the other tank.

Figured out why it would start in gear...clutch switch pic attached.

Attached Files:

17. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Real AC Cobra or replica?

18. tj.

tj. Active Member

How the heck did you know...then I looked at the pics. Your powers of observation are very good my friend.
    Replica.

19. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I saw it to but I was too jealous to say anything.
    The real deal are over a million bucks now.

20. hogfiddles

I notice you didn’t answer the question