1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My Johnny Cash bike ( one piece at a time)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jetfixer, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Today regressed and adjusted the head stem bearings , decided for now to stick with ball bearings , maybe one day I will swap for taper bearings . Started to look at forks..oh dear left looked okay , right fork had water inside fork :eek: have not got it tore down yet was getting late so called it a day . Yesterday I put swing arm back in at least for now . Still trying to figure out what I need and trying to get hardware figured out . So far bike bought for 120$ and abused PayPal bought a bunch of parts off eBay so about 350$ , one day will get it all back together :D. Some pics for both bikes hope "new" bike will look as good as Old Yellow my 82 seca

Attached Files:

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

You'll make out on the deal.
    Ball bearings work fine, just make sure that the races aren't notched.

3. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Keep at it, no use rushing. The yellow 750 seca is a good looking bike, no doubt about it.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice project for the Autumn and Winter.

5. Jetfixer

Update got right fork apart it is toast lower fork housing is full of rust and fork tube has rust spots on the chrome where seal rests , trying to clean it up , inner lower piston is badly rusted and pitted . Think this guy I got bike from was using it a boat oar ? Think I'm going to look for another fork , have not took left fork apart but looks better .

McTavish likes this.
  6. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

#1000.

7. Jetfixer

Had to take swing arm out , forgot to put rubber boot over drive shaft , so installed and reinstalled swing arm, put foot pegs and rear engine mount bolts back on . Reinstalled rear brake arm back on , and put wire loom back on ...oh boy some was labeled others were not . Well will have to do it hard way wiring diagram. On a brighter note rode 8 miles on my other Seca , road was pretty wet in places so did not go far.

8. Jetfixer

Got swing arm back in, rear shocks and fender, put wiring loom some of the connectors are not in real good shape , I ordered a kit off of Amazon of plugs and connectors , while I was at it ordered the kit of butt splices with heat shrink tubes ...pretty impressed with these kits will make things neeter .

Attached Files:

9. Jetfixer

Went on road trip to Joe Eliff's today got whole front end , boxs of parts , thanks Joe . Will have to tear into these forks and put new seals in , I'm going to put fork gaiters on . The temperature has fallen into the 40's so it is not real comfortable working in garage (unheated) . Friday rode old yellow down to filling station 4 miles , way to cold for me wind gusts 35miles an hour . So getting ready to put away for winter, very sad .

10. Jetfixer

Rebuilt the front forks , I had rebuilt the forks on old yellow a couple of years ago , but the right fork fought me had to take it apart three times ( hope the seal dont leak). Put fork gaiters on think it looks cool , it is starting to look like a bike again .

11. Jetfixer

Here are pictures of the forks back on starting to look like a bike again , trying to piece it back together is a slow process . Still thinking about painting tank black , I have a good tank ,side covers, tail and fender in red still away from that though .

Attached Files:

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Yep, Joe’s a great guy

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Jetfixer

I had installed wiring harness, several wires cut off , I had gotten an uncut harness from Joe Eliff when I got forks . Spent an hour removing and reinstalling harness , that was fun still need to hook up turn signals and install headlight housing . I ordered a new blade type fuse block that still needs installed .Ran new clutch cable and put in new throttle cable , gave up for now it is in 40's and wind is howling.

14. Jetfixer

Installed new blade fuse block , I installed the wiring harness something did not look right on the wires out of the voltage regulator. I found the three white wires with electrical tape , they were pulled out of the wire block . They had wire terminals , so I have to fix this but ran out of time my goal is to get all the wiring sorted first .

Franz likes this.
  15. Jetfixer

This was fun been sorting wiring harness , put battery in and the atari display worked, horns rear turn signals , had tail light working messing around in the head light bucket ,and now it is out . Ran out of time pushing starter button no joy and neutral light is not working either . I also noticed shifting it appears it does not go through the gears fully, might have to pull engine .

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I wonder if there are plastic chain guide bits in the sump?

17. Jetfixer

I'm pumped , got turn signals working and horn , still have to get tail light and brake light working . Could not get neutral light and shifting only felt like it would only go two gears , pulled crank cover turned over fine with wrench. Pulled shift linkage and pulled side cover nothing out of order so reinstalled and put linkage back on. Hmm hooked up the clutch cable success got neutral light and could shift through pattern , hit start button and IT CRANKS !!!! I'm totally chuffed still got alot of work to do but it coming along .

Simmy and Franz like this.
  18. Jetfixer

Wow got the electrics sorted and did a compression check very happy lowest cylinder was 140 and highest 150 this was a dry check and have no idea when engine last ran. I have spark as well however the carb boots are rock hard and got lucky the Allen bolts were all loose no broken bolts to mess with. The bike is still quite dirty but wanted to get it back together first . My Amazon electrical kit I posted earlier has come in very handy .

Attached Files:

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  19. Jetfixer

Finishing up the electrics since I have no carbs on , wanted to see if headlights worked , right below the voltage regulator is the starter cut out relay , jumped the plug and light worked . Went to put head light in bucket , and it would not fit . Pulled another headlight bucket still would not fit , I had another headlight and it fit perfect ...still not sure what is wrong but looks like the chrome surround is larger than the bucket . Put on the red tank and side covers I'm really liking the red with the brown seat .

20. Jetfixer

My updated pictures

Attached Files:

Minimutly and Franz like this.