1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What’s the little bell for?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Hoot, May 2, 2021.

1. Hoot

Hoot Member

Previous owner stuff typically leaves me shaking my head, stunned by how anyone could do such things to a motorcycle. However, sometimes, I find one that leaves me curiously amused and this one definitely falls into that category.

Picked up another 650RJC a few weeks ago and after getting it running, it was time for fresh oil and a filter. While laying on the floor to remove the drain plug I spy this hanging from the right foot peg:

Attached Files:

2. tj.

tj. Active Member

"Guardian bells" are usually given to you by another rider to watch over you...big in the Harley crowd.

Timbox likes this.
  3. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

The gremlin Battle of the guardian Bell . It must be given to you you cannot buy one yourself. But the guardian Bell and all the proper maintenance your bike will last forever that's what it says in the papers that come with them.

5. XJ550H

Another tradition is when you crash your bike someone gives you an eight ball to hang off of it and then you pass it on to the next person who crashes their bike.

6. Hoot

Hoot Member

Thanks all.
    A buddy of mine who’s a commercial pilot thought, given its location hanging from the bottom of the foot peg, that it might be, in pilot parlance, some sort of “Terrain Avoidance Alarm”, that is it would start to ring when running out of ground clearance.:D

I guess it won’t hold any power for me however. I bought it myself you see, as part of the bike, so I guess that puts paid to that.

I know! I can cut it off and give to the above mentioned pilot bud of mine. He rides old Hondas. Probably can use all the luck he can get.

tj. likes this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like there is a little metric revelry going on there. My HD guys said something about keeping it low to the ground was part of the legend of the effectiveness. I see most of the HD's have them up front of the bike under the front of the engines.

It came with the bike, you didn't buy it as a individual thing...I would say it is still good as it is a package deal.

Hoot likes this.
  8. XJ550H

you bought the bike seller gave you the bell
    low to the ground to catch the gremlins and such into the bell as you pass over them and they reach up to grab you they get sucked right in

Hoot likes this.
  9. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

If it came with the bike, cut it off at your peril. You have been warned...

Hoot likes this.