1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No helmets

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by dkavanagh, Aug 15, 2021.

1. dkavanagh

dkavanagh Well-Known Member Premium Member

Help me understand. I'm vacationing in New Hampshire. Not many helmets to be seen on riders.
    I sometimes take a spin through my own neighborhood without a helmet. My eyes tear up at 30 mph with my glasses on. I've also had bug strikes on my jacket, glove and helmet. I wouldn't want one of those hitting my forehead or cheek.
    What's the draw?

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

They beleave it's freedom

I agree with you it's nuts!

3. StarGeneral

StarGeneral Active Member

I don't think there's a draw involved so much as a lack of braincells...

Jetfixer likes this.
  4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

In the UK helmets are compulsory. Having said that l would never ride a motorcycle without one if l could.

Jetfixer likes this.
  5. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

In the uk you can ride a trike without a helmet - I rarely do, and if I did it wouldn't be far or very quickly. It's daft tbh.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

same reason some people don't get vaccinated

cgutz likes this.
  7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I would guess it is how much you ride and what things you have encountered on the road. I have been hit by bug, birds, wood falling off trucks, rocks, ect. I wear a full face for that reason alone. I do not wear leather or racing suits when I ride.

Most of the people in this area will not wear a helmet but will put chaps and leathers on to keep "road rash" down to a min. I guess they don't read the reports that is you are knocked off you bike 75% of us will hit our head or chin on the ground during the crash.

So not judging at all, they do what they want and I will do what I want. I have lived and learned and my choice to put my full face on.

Jetfixer, Minimutly and ksigurdsen like this.
  8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Lot of bikers going through SD the last few weeks on way to Sturgis. Some wear helmets, some don't.

I always hope bikers without helmets have their organ donation authorizations checked...

Fuller56 likes this.
  9. Pizzaman

Pizzaman Member

"Live Free or Die" on state license plate. Though I grew up there and generally agree with that sentiment. I would never ride without a helmet.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

our june bugs are the size of your thumb. eye protection is required up here.
    most of the metric riders wear helmets the HD riders not so much.

why? we are the Live free or Die state. I will die with my hair blowing free rather than suffer the oppression caused by wearing a helmet.
    we need organ donors anyways.

Me always wear one when I was young many moons ago a dog took me off my bike slid down the road in my white shoei helmet .
    ground the helmet down flat to about a softball size patch on the back of it that would have been my scalp and skull ground flat.

saved my life 5 years ago when I gave a moose a kiss on the nose one night.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    TheCrazyGnat, cgutz and Simmy like this.
  11. XJ550H

the state motto adopted after WWII in 1945 . the most quoted and misinterpreted quote you will ever hear.

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

it was about living under the tyrannical rule of the British Government and how he would rather die in battle than live as a British subject.

Franz likes this.
  12. XJ550H

If passenger does not have motorcycle license they must wear helmet

13. Scott I

Scott I Member

I often wonder whether non helmet people have ever ridden dirt bikes and experienced unexpected loss of control. Wipe outs on dirt bike, often with no notion you were about to fall, taught me the importance of the helmet. One second you're up, then next you're getting up from the ground wondering what happened.

JBurch likes this.
  14. JBurch

JBurch Active Member

Dirt bike riding made me a beleaver in helmets.......one contact with a tree branch and no helmet will do it just about everytime

15. XJ550H

dirt bikes o my i rode one into a deep rut then up a rock that launched me and the bike into the air. bike and I rotated 180 degrees front wheel over back a little more speed and a little more air maybe i would have done a complete flip landedon the wheels and kept going. but nope head in the mud bike upside down on top of me . love the dirt.

I saw a video of Casey Stoner dirt track racing he would go around corners with the bike laid down to pop back upright and as the track strightened out

16. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

And then you have bikers that might run into a Elk. Yep that happened here in my area of Wisconsin yesterday. I am trying to find a link for the accident but so far no luck. Motorcycle rider hit a Elk on a country road, biker lived but broke both legs. Elk did not live. I am trying to find out if the rider had a helmet on.