1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dripsavings

dripsavings New Member

Vinyl wrapped the side covers too. Finally matching gold colors. Now I have to find a new tank or repaint it.

Attached Files:

2. Roast644

Roast644 Well-Known Member

Can you give some more detail on how you did this? Looks like a good result.

3. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

4. dripsavings

dripsavings New Member

nothing really complicated just cleaned the surface first, applied gold vinyl wrap over letters, squeegee'd out folds/wrinkles, used a hair dryer on hot, and then got a olfa hobby knife (changed blades twice on one cover).

Roast644 likes this.
  5. Roast644

Got the 650 on the road for the first time this morning. I still have a handful of bobbles and bits to finish, but couldn't wait to ride it after I had enough pieces to be roadworthy. Trying to work up the ambition to paint the side covers.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Brhatweed and chris123 like this.
  6. Roast644

Ok one more photo. I got pretty much all the pieces back on other than the front fork plastic emblem that I am going to attempt to paint. The center stand is also getting painted so it is off right now. Side covers turned out so so...unfortunately couldn't salvage their emblems.

Photo of when I brought it home for reference. Rebuilt forks, new tapered stem bearings, master cylinder rebuilt, wheel bearings packed, new tires fore and aft. Seat cover, painted tank. Lots of little wiring things repaired back to original state. Busted flashers and mirrors replaced. Hours and hours of cleaning. Every bit on it works like it's supposed to.

Runs absolutely fantastic. Wish I could keep it, but I'm out of room. If you're in the PNW and need a 650, lemme know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

What a transformation!! That's some nice work, @Roast644. Should be good for another 40 year run. Somebody will be lucky to get it.

Huntchuks and Roast644 like this.
  8. Roast644

Thanks @Dan Gardner it's definitely not a full restoration, maybe a "rust"-o-ration, but beneath the cosmetic corrosion was a pretty good bike. I enjoy giving something like this new life, since if I hadn't grabbed it the odds are good it would have just turned into eventual scrap metal. Old Yamahas deserve to ride on.

9. Brhatweed

Brhatweed Active Member

Very well done! I'd roll on that bike any day.

Roast644 likes this.
  10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Great it's saved for the road where it belongs.

Roast644 likes this.
  11. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Holy resurrection, Batman!!!

12. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

I'd recently lost one of the metal horns to my Wolo air horns I've had for nearly 20 years. It was less than half as loud anymore. I replaced it with their "Bad Boy" horn which combines the compressor and horns into one compact housing. Neater install that was a direct swap for where I'd had one of the horns mounted anyway, and wires went right on (came with a relay, but I already had one installed). Truck-loud again! GTFO the way!!!
    [​IMG]

Dave in Ireland likes this.
  13. Brhatweed

Brhatweed Active Member

Might be my last post as this two-step verification is becoming a pain, I flush my logins each time my browser is closed to keep things secure but it also flushes the verification cookies set by the site server. I'm not going to compromise my security for the sake of convenience

Oblivion likes this.
  14. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Well after having several scammer breaches, I guess the list owner decided to tighten things up a bit more. It’s a bit of an inconvenience, yes, it’s in the interest of safety/privacy/etc….. But, I have to jump thr0ugh the hoops and log into everything with two-steps, now ……….so I just figure “oh great…….we’ll, it’s just one more————“

‘At least we don’t have to change passwords once a month yet like I had to at W@R*.

if you know of a better way, let me know and I’ll pass it on for consideration. In the meantime, we all have to get used to another hoop. Just like when we migrated to this platform——it took us all some time to get used to it. Probably took ME the longest!! Lol

15. Brhatweed

Brhatweed Active Member

Sorry no I don't have an alternative. I was hacked back in 2020 and all of my stored credentials were stolen and used to clean out my saving account to the tune of over $133,000. After this I have adopted a strict policy of using the highest level of security within Firefox while running Linux, I have a common forum password I use that is stored locally along with a common username and now this 2-step is asking me to compromise. This is something I will not do. in Firefox you can set your username & password then save it, after that change it to Never Remember History and it will clear everything BUT the stored name/password that is kept in it's almanac.
    As a long time systems administrator with over 35 years of experience going back to the 1200 BPS bulletin board days I understand the need for authentication but had to balance this with the needs of my members, the one thing I have learned the hard way is one never gets their loyal members back once they leave, as a super-moderator on OneFora this balance is tempered with the loss of sponsor exposure. There have been numerous conversations regarding this issue as recently as last Thursday and while we have very tough anti-spammer policy we have had to temper this against the potential losses of members. Scammers & Spammers are going to get around this 2-step verification, I'm speaking from experience here and found the only way to deal with them is administrator & moderator vigilance. Anytime there is a flag on a user name, IP address or a new member they all get put into a moderator cue for further consideration and I go thru them weekly to see how they react. I approve more than I flush but it's paying off with the reduction of problems and riff-raff plus my members are very happy with how the forums are running. I'd gladly throw my hat into the moderators ring for xjbikes if this would help, anyone can contact Cricket on OneFora for a reference if they would like but as I stated before I will not compromise my online security regardless.

What did I do to my Yamaha today? Added another 150 miles to the clock because I had nothing better to do and all day to do it!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    Oblivion likes this.
  16. hogfiddles

Well, I think admin and Moderators HAVE been quite vigilant. When I say we are seeing an increase , the increase something like
    Two this year or maybe a third one....... then there was one a year or two ago. I think there was another one a few years before that.....that also slipped through.

17. Brhatweed

Brhatweed Active Member

Sorry
    i wasn't implying the moderators were not being vigilant and I know the riff-raff will slip thru the cracks, I just can't afford to be lax on my security and while I'm looking for an alternative way to satisfy the 2-step process it doesn't look promising. What a pain in the___________ (fill in the blank)

18. hogfiddles

Let’s now move this off of the “what did you do to YOUR YAMAHA forum”.

19. ScottFree

ScottFree Member

I would love to do that, but when I tried to post what I did to my Yamaha I again got caught up in the chaos of Texas Two-Step Authentication Security Theater, and by the time I finally got recognized as a member I forgot what I was going to say.

Oh, yeah, something about FD fluid leaking. I think the problem is the previous owner lost the crush washer from under the drain plug. I, of course, therefore didn't know the drain plug used a crush washer till I looked at the diagram on Partzilla. Other sites strongly suggest this is a standard 14mm crush washer, but I will probably pull the fill plug (which, according to PZ, uses the same part nunber crush washer) and measure. As Ronnie and Maggie said, "trust... but verify."

20. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

XJ650 Maxim sighting out in the wild today. He was getting on 494 Westbound from France Ave in the SW Minneapolis area.

Oblivion likes this.