1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Clutch?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jloeve, Aug 3, 2024.

1. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I’ve read many forums on here and think I have a starter clutch issue. I have an XJ750 that I bought unassembled and reassembled before I knew much and thankfully found this site and got it running and started riding it. So, thank you!

Unfortunately, my bike no longer starts. It squeals/slips at a higher pitched sound when I try to start it, like somethjng is slipping. The issue started while it was running and quickly shut off mid-idle with the same squealing/screeching sound.

There were times I would try to start the bike with a whizz sound, but the motor wouldn’t turn.

Here is what I’ve done so far:
    -bought new battery. It was dying really quick on start and needed a new one anyways.
    -changed oil (15w40)
    -bought new starter motor as the other was toast.

I would rather not crack the engine open, but thinking I might have to.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thinking it might be the starter clutch or something to do with my clutch plates but not really sure?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2024
  2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

Doesn’t sound like the typical starter clutch failure to me. Unfortunately, I don’t have any good ideas what it could be.

Could you get a video of it?

3. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

I think there are 2 main noises most people hear.
    1. Starter Clutch slipping - grumbling rocks type of thing.
    2. Starter Clutch not disengaging - hi pitched whining (starter motor driven by the crank)

1. can be 3 things.
    Bad oil - had this happen (easiest fix)
    Bad springs and bits in the starter clutch - haven't had this happen
    Cracked starter clutch hub - had this happen.

2. I haven't seen a breakdown or had this happen myself....
    But you'd think most of these, except the oil issue, come down to the same fix, split the engine :(

Roast644 likes this.
  4. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I will take a video tonight and post.

5. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I said higher pitched as the other videos sound lower like rocks in a can. My sound is more like slipping or a higher grinding sound. I will post a video tonight. Hopefully that helps.

I did put a synthetic oil in when the problem first started and the starter seemed to be slipping, but have since changed back. I also put sea foam in the oil in hopes it might help as per other threads.

6. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I went to go make a video and had pulled my starter motor off to see if that might be the problem. To record the video I put it back on and all I get is a click. If I touch a screwdriver between the two bolts on the solenoid the engine turns over and the starter motor turns.

Solenoid not working? Checked connections and no change. New problem to solve I guess…

7. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Exactly.

jloeve likes this.
  8. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I have been moving and just got back to the bike today.

Threw a new solenoid on, charged the battery and cranked the engine. It turned and then didn’t stop turning over. The starter motor just kept turning and the solenoid started to smoke. Yikes!!!

I quickly got the battery connections off and eventually once connections were removed the starter stopped turning.

I don’t think it’s the solenoid as this is my third new solenoid I’ve tried.

It seems like my starter motor is drawing too much power from the solenoid. Any thoughts?

9. chacal

It could be something is shorted inside the starter motor. You can open it up and have a look, maybe something obvious sticks out. Releasing the start button removes power from the solenoid, which should break the circuit between the battery and the starter motor; if not, then the contacts in the solenoid have been welded together (!!) or the solenoid is defective. It would take a LOT of current to weld the solenoid contacts together..........

cds1984 and Franz like this.
  10. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I’ll check the start motor tomorrow, but the fact that the bike kept starting even after the start button was releasing was unusual.

11. chacal

It could also be that the START button was actually sticking in its "pushed in" position for some reason, or the internal contact wasn't releasing (even if the button popped out).....

12. jloeve

jloeve New Member

I thought about this, but there is another issue where I keep trying to get the engine to turn over and the coil burns out or just clicks. Especially when I put on a battery charger. I’ll check the starter button too.

13. minimuttly

minimuttly Active Member

Pull the spark plugs and engage 3rd gear, try to push the bike along - see if the engine turns over. It sounds like something seized - no idea what though..