1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What fuel hose do you guys use??

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by Bobby Dow, Sep 23, 2024.

1. Bobby Dow

Bobby Dow New Member

I've been tracking down a fuel leak since i bought my 82 750 maxim back in mid august regarding the fuel hose. I did some unrelated work to the bike including new carbs and some other fixes and when i got it running it leaked fuel everywhere, I replaced my chosen hose with a heavy duty fuel rated hose from advanced auto and it stopped leaking for a few days then started up again. I then went for a clear fuel line with a lower psi rating and softer compound with stronger clamps and the fuel leak had finally went away for about a month and suddenly today when i went on my lunch break at work the bike decided to start dripping fuel once again. It had been perfectly fine this morning and then started leaking a consistent drip every second like the flip of a switch. I'm gonna replace the fuel hose again but is there a specific hose that you guys use for our XJs that don't give many problems? All of these general fuel lines from parts stores seem to not want to work with my bike.

I'm gonna list some symptoms as well in case one of you can recognize them and let me know if I'm wrong about the source being my fuel line.
    - Only leaks when running and when gas tank is hooked up with fuel flowing. I had it running with the tank off and it wasn't leaking at all
    - Doesn't leak in any way when carbs are off and the fuel bowls are filled. I tried testing the leak with the previous hose as well and it wouldn't leak until i hooked it up to the bike.
    - All of the gas flow is coming from in-between Carbs 1 and 2 and is coming from the T on the fuel rail of the carbs.

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

THE GOOD, THE BAD, and THE UGLY:

(the wah-wah-wah girl is the star of the show.......)

The Good News: it's probably not the fuel line that is the problem.

The Bad News: it's probably the o-rings that seals the brass fuel inlet T-fitting into the carbs.

The Ugly News: to replace those o-rings, you have to separate carb #1 from carb #2, which means you have to disengage carb #1 from the entire rack, which means you need to be certain to properly re-align carb #1 with carb #2 (their throttle shaft brackets overlap each other) or you will pay a price later! Also, make sure you use a wire brush or something to clean the crud out of the ports on the carb bodies where the fuel Tee fits into the carb bodies, as the crud in there will tear the new-rings as the Tee is being fitted into those bores. Use silicone grease on the o-rings before installation.

Pro Tip: I'm not sure what you mean by "new carbs", but if those o-rings are leaking, it might not be too long before the o-rings on the straight fuel pipes (between carbs #2 and #3, and between carbs #3 and #4) start leaking too. Again, carbs need to come out of the rack to address those. And while you have things that far apart,y ou might as well replace the throttle shaft seals, since at close to 43-years old, they are far, far past their expected life.

Timbox and Huntchuks like this.
  3. Bobby Dow

Bobby Dow New Member

I took your advice and replaced it all and it luckily doesnt leak anymore however it no longer fires on all cylinders, just 1 to be exact. I believe that the fuel rail may have gotten clogged up somehow seeing as the floats are still working as intended. Would there be a good way to remedy this or am i gonna have to take this entire thing apart again?

4. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

newly "rebuilt" carbs?

did you pull the float needle housing out an clean out the filter screen under it?
    Your running on 1 out of 1 cylinders? did not know it would idle on just one.