1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Petcock possibly stuck on prime

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Glen F., Sep 29, 2024.

1. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Well after checking you valve shims, I took 1982 650 Maxim out for a rip, but before that I forgot to hook up the air line after taking the tank off. Put the bike on prime because I ran the bowls dry. Now it's spewing gas out of the air box. Air filter is spooked. Is there a way to check if the valve is stuck on prime? I just replaced it about 2 years ago.

2. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Pulled the rack off and the boots at 1 and 2 were soaked. Stuck float?

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Stuck float or, more likely, fuel inlet valve in the carb has stuck open for any number of reasons.

Glen F. likes this.
  4. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

So does this mean I have to break the rack apart again? I'm going to start with the float and hopefully that's all it is.

5. Melnic

Melnic Active Member

I have found that when filling carb bowls from empty that is one time that bowls can stick.
    I you want to rid the problem for ever, you will need to open things up and search for some binding.
    You REALLY want to know which carb is the offender.
    You also would serve yourself by using an aux IV bottle type gas tank and be able to test off the bike cause you may need to fill, drain, fill drain several times to see it again. At least that is what one of my (bad) experiances was
    Just filling up once and saying it works may not proove its gone for good. I had to fill, drain fill, drain and i'd see it bind up 1 out of say 5 times. Took a lot of effort.
    hopefully, you will see something obvious.

Glen F. likes this.
  6. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Filled the carbs using an auxiliary tank. No overflow. Drained them and repeated the process 4 times. No overflow. The tank is off the bike and it isn't draining, so my petcock is fine. Wierd

7. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Put the carbs back on but I left the exhaust boots off to see if the was any leaking. Nothing. It was sitting for about a month because I had hurt myself. Guess something got stuck.

8. Glen F.

Glen F. Active Member

Having problems again. Got home from work and it sputtered all the way home. Plugs one and two were soaked, three and four were fine. Going to take the rack off again and check the floats. Not sure what else would cause gas to spew out the air filter. Some help would be greatly appreciated!!!