1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Gut Check!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Gamuru, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Has anyone else experienced this? You're riding along and up ahead there's a sharp right- (or left-) hand corner approaching. All is right in your world. You're feeling in synch with your bike. In essence, you've got your groove on. You dive hard into the corner as you press harder and harder on the handlebar. You can feel the tires digging into the asphalt as the bike rails around the corner.

And then you feel your boot scraping against the ground. 8O

To me, it just upsets the whole Zen feeling of the moment. It's like fung-shwaying a room only to discover the dog dropped a carpet trout right in the middle of it. I find that I can't ride aggressively on the bike with my feet resting "normally" on the foot pegs. I have to move them back so that their balls are resting on the foot pegs instead (keep the dirty jokes to yourselves, please :wink: ). There's nothing more unsettling than to feel your foot dragging... well, actually there is.

I was leaning hard into a left-hand hair pin. I had just dropped down into second gear and had set for the corner. As I rounded the apex, I felt my left foot drag, then I felt the shifter lever pinching my foot between it and the ground. And then I felt the bike shift into third. Not by choice, mind you. The road pushed my foot up into the gear shifter, which was pushed up into the next gear. That was really an Oh Sh!t moment: leaned over hard on one side with an unanticipated shift. Wobbly bike, for sure!

So, anyone else experience this or is it just me and my big damned feet?

2. switch263

switch263 Member

hah... i gotta say, the few times i've leaned my bike over anywhere near that hard, she's tried to lowside on me as i accelerate out of teh corner. I need new tires. :(

3. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

There you go bragging about the size of you "feet" again.

4. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

:lol: They're frickin' huge!

5. switch263

switch263 Member

lol. I just actually snickered out loud at work at this and got strange looks from my co-workers.

6. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

I always get strange looks from my co-workers... It's not because I'm snickering in my office though.

7. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

being a quad rider, i dont feel at all comfortable leaning it down that low, no way!

8. 85MaximXX

85MaximXX Member

Growing up me and my brothers rode Honda's (thats all Grandpa would buy) We would constantly drag the foot pegs through the corners. The first time you get your foot caught under the shifter def. scares you and you don't do it again LOL!! Now that I am a bit older I am not sure I would put a bike down that far even if my XJ seems alot more nimble than the old honda's ever were. These days if I forgot about my foot placement and did that I would probably be promptly returning home to change my shorts.

9. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I figure I paid for the whole tire, I may as well use it.

All of it! 8)

10. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

You know what they say about big hands and big feet......

Thats right

Big gloves and big socks.......

11. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I know. My wife has knitted both for me and ran out of yarn on each project before finishing. I'm still waiting for 'em. :lol:

12. ddibling

ddibling Member

Dude! If you're going to be hilarious during work hours, would you please give a warning?!? I'm sitting in a boring meeting and I nearly choked to death trying not to laugh!!!

Thanks for brightening my day!
    Dean :lol:

13. 82XJ

82XJ Member

I took my BRC class on a Yama TW200 (cute little dual-sport with fat tires)... Still too small for me, but it was taller than the Rebel and Nighthawk 250's the rest of the class was riding.

On the "Turning at Speed" excercise, they told us the objective was to take the turn at the highest speed possible. The instructor was laughing at me because I was having too much fun; I was dragging boots on each turn. As long as the peg didn't actually touch the ground, though, it was considered a good turn.

14. SyracuseXJ

SyracuseXJ Member

i'm actually taking my msf course right now. our instructor keeps saying "go for it, there's a reason the pegs are spring loaded" He did mention, to his credit, that we need to be very carefull that our foot dosen't come between the road and the bike, i assume he means pegs/shifter not lowsiding the whole works

15. grimreaper169

grimreaper169 Member

exit ramp on the way to work and every mornin I see how far I can lay it over. Yes I know why the spring load the foot pegs. That was far enough for me.

16. treybaxter

treybaxter Member

I've dragged the pegs a time or two, always unnerving. Maybe it's because my balls arent big enough (the ones on my feet) but i never had my foot pinched. I think mostly the roads are so crappy i ride that i am leary of getting that low and start hitting some patches and loose footing, or maybe the other anatomical spheres really are a bit small.