1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca 750 motor into Maxim 650 frame??

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by phorce1, Aug 18, 2008.

1. phorce1

phorce1 Member

Will an '82 Seca 750 motor shoehorn into an '80 Maxim 650 without too many mods ?

I'm looking at having to rebuild the 650 motor and while looking for another with good compression to rebuild/clean up at the same time to keep as a spare I've had a Seca 750 motor offered to me.

Just wondering if I'd be able to use it. The closest high compression Maxim 650 motor I've located is over 600 miles from here and requires buying the whole bike that it's attached to.

(Edited the title to be more descriptive)

2. phorce1

phorce1 Member

Bump after editing the title to be more descriptive.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I don't think the 650 and 750 "Share" the same Bottom-end and Motor Mounting Points.

The 750 and 900 have the Same Bottoms; but the 650 is a little bit different.
    That's going to mean frame Mods and welding-up some new Motor Mounts.

4. phorce1

phorce1 Member

I've been searching the forum and found this:

http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=5 ... art=0.html

7th message from the top says the mount OD to the case is different but it's still a bolt in.

I have an electronic tach available so would just need the egine side of the wiring.

Probably need the Seca 750 CDI to make the ignition curve right but my Dyna coils should be good to go.

That would give me a running motor while I work on rebuilding the 650 to put back in (I got a bike for mileage, only considering the 750 because it's reasonably priced and close enough to go pick it up).

5. jriebe

jriebe Member

I currently have in my garage a 1982 750 frame (15R) with a 1982 650 motor in it...currently working on titling issues... :evil:

Hope this helps,

Jon