1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Brake bleeder valve

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by keggleston, Aug 13, 2008.

1. keggleston

keggleston New Member

I'm trying to bleed my front brake lines but both the brake bleeder valve is stripped as well as the screws on the master cylinder cap. I was planning on getting a screw extractor but I didn't know what to do for the valve. Suggestions?

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Bleeders-R-Us! (not the title of the latest summer horror flick):

Disc Brake Caliper Bleeder Screws:

bp72) OEM and aftermarket disc brake caliper BLEEDER SCREWS, in both the original style and the improved "speed-bleeder" design that allows one-person bleeding. Speed bleeder valves (screws) have an internal spring and ball "check-valve" that allows to fluid to flow out, but prevents air from being drawn back in, thus simplifying and otherwise time-consuming procedure. NOTE: speed-bleeders should NEVER be used when first re-filling a "dry" brake system----one where the lines, calipers, or master cylinder has been rebuilt or changed, for example----as the air in the system will compress, and the speed-bleeder valve will prevent fluid from flowing through the system. Always bleed dry systems using standard bleeder screws first, and only then install the speed-bleeders, and re-bleed!

HCP1775 OEM style disc brake caliper Bleeder Screw, fits the following models: all XJ550, all XJ650 models except Turbo, all XJ700 models, all XJ750 Seca models (at calipers and anti-dive valves), XJ900RK front and rear, and XJ1100 models front and rear. Each screw comes with the protective rubber cap. Each:
    $ 10.50

HCP1775SET2 OEM brake caliper Bleeder Screw, set of 2:
    $ 20.00

HCP1775SET3 OEM brake caliper Bleeder Screw, set of 3:
    $ 29.75

HCP1775SET4 OEM brake caliper Bleeder Screw, set of 4:
    $ 38.95

HCP6852 Aftermarket style disc brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, fits the following models: all XJ550, all XJ650 models except Turbo, all XJ700 models, all XJ750 Seca models (at calipers and anti-dive valves), XJ900RK front and rear, and XJ1100 models front and rear. These screws are 1mm longer (on the nipple end) than the original screw, and are made from standard alloy steel. Each screw comes with the protective rubber cap. Each:
    $ 7.00

HCP6852SET2 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 2:
    $ 13.00

HCP6852SET3 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 3:
    $ 19.50

HCP6852SET4 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 3:
    $ 26.50

HCP6853 Aftermarket style disc brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, fits the following models: all XJ550, all XJ650 models except Turbo, all XJ700 models, all XJ750 Seca models (at calipers and anti-dive valves), XJ900RK front and rear, and XJ1100 models front and rear. These screws are 6mm longer (on the nipple end) than the original screw, and are made from stainless steel. Each screw comes with the protective rubber cap. Each:
    $ 14.00

HCP6853SET2 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 2:
    $ 26.00

HCP6853SET3 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 3:
    $ 38.00

HCP6853SET4 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 4:
    $ 50.00

HCP1776 OEM style disc brake caliper Bleeder Screw, fits the following models: XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and all XJ650 Turbo models. Each screw comes with the protective rubber cap. Each:
    $ 7.50

HCP1776SET2 OEM brake caliper Bleeder Screw, set of 2:
    $ 14.50

HCP6850 Aftermarket style disc brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, fits the following models: XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and all XJ650 Turbo models. These screws are 1mm shorter (on the nipple end) than the original screw, and are made from standard alloy steel. Each screw comes with the protective rubber cap. Each:
    $ 7.00

HCP6850SET2 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 2:
    $ 13.00

HCP6852SET3 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 3:
    $ 19.50

HCP6851 Aftermarket style disc brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, fits the following models: XJ750 Maxim and Midnight Maxim, and all XJ650 Turbo models. These screws are 6mm longer (on the nipple end) than the original screw, and are made from stainless steel. Each screw comes with the protective rubber cap. Each:
    $ 14.00

HCP6851SET2 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 2:
    $ 26.00

HCP6851SET3 Aftermarket brake caliper Speed-Bleeder Screw, set of 3:
    $ 38.00

bp3) Aftermarket disc brake caliper Bleeder Screw Rubber Caps, rubber protective caps prevent dirt from getting into the bleeder screw. Fits all front or rear, OEM or aftermarket caliper bleeder screws.

HCP1640 Aftermarket disc brake caliper bleeder screw protective Rubber Cap, each:
    $ 1.50

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Bleeder:
    Use some heat and grab it with Vice Grips.
    Take it right out and throw it out. Its useless.
    Stick some rolled-up-tight paper towel in the hole to stem the flow.
    Use a bolt with the same thread pitch if you have one.
    Get a new bleeder in there.
    They are a Standard size and you'll find them at the Auto Supply Store.

Master:

Drill-off the screw heads.
    If you are lucky you'll be able to get the remains out with lock-on's.
    If not ...
    Drill 'em and re-tap the holes.
    There's enough material to support an oversize.
    Use Stainless Steel Cap Screws to replace the ones you need to dig-out!

4. jswag5

jswag5 Member

i broke off a bleeder screw recently, am having trouble finding a local shop with the correct size. what is the thread size and pitch, and what is the easiest way to remove the broken bleeder?

5. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

had the same problem mine was a PIA. al and all i ended up needing a new caliper. the way the hole tapers at the bottom if u drill too far (like i did) youre screwed :oops: . The heat mentioned earlier should work if theres enough to grab. if not drill out the hole 1 size up and use a good screw extractor after u put the heat to it but only drill enough to get a good bite on the extractor. If u have a set us a reverse drill bit to drill it out and u may get lucky and it will come out while drillin. GOOD Luck

6. RickCoMatic

Hold-up a good Bleed Nipple to the end of the Twist Drill
    Mark the "Safe" distance with a wind of Masking Tape.

Build-up the "Safe" distance by winding some masking tape around that drill bit.

Better to be "Safe" than slip-up and drill down too far and wind-up needing a Caliper.

7. jswag5

jswag5 Member

i think im fragged, while using the easy out to remove the bleeder it snapped off flush. Cant get onto the easy out to remove it. any suggestions???

8. CaptNemo

CaptNemo Member

I've been there and I know how frustrating it can be, that's why this is so funny, from the joke section - tool definitions:

#14. E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt
    holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit

I have had luck starting with a very good - small drill bit and working up the sizes but I really think you have a new (or used) caliper in your future.
    Good luck.

9. RickCoMatic

Take the Caliper to your Regional Technical High School.
    Go to the Machine Shop and show the Caliper to the Head of the Machine Shop Department.

Ask him if he'll have a Student (or himself) disintegrate the broken-off Easy-out with the Shop's EDM Machine.

The EDM Machine will precisely remove all the steel Easy-out.
    If you explain that there is also a fragment of the Bleeder Valve in there, too ... they can set-up the Machine to remove some of the inside diameter of the Bleeder while the Easy-out is being destroyed.

You'll save that Caliper and give the Machine Shop Class a Golden Opportunity to do a "Real World Job" saving you the Caliper and some money!