1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Northern Illinois Carb Clinic Anyone?

Discussion in 'Central US and Canada' started by LazyBeerNutz, Jul 30, 2008.

1. jswag5

jswag5 Member

you can count me in, havin a hell of a time tweaking these carbs by feel alone.

2. jswag5

jswag5 Member

UPDATE: Today i purchased the items to build a homemade YICS tool, and a synchronizer. Hooked everything up and after about 3 hours have it dialed in quiet nicely. Maybe i wont have to attend the meeting of the minds, but if anyone has any questions, let me know. Trust me, its a lot easier than most people make it out to be. Also, anyone around the Fort Wayne area needs any help, bring the bike over, I'll help ya out.

3. wraith0078

wraith0078 Member

Bring it along. You can give those of us who don't know what we're doing (like me) a lot of pointers.

4. IkeO

IkeO Member

i think i just may be in for this. ill send you a pm beernutz

5. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt New Member

Hey, I was wonderin if it's too late to buy into this clinic. I just bought my bike in July and rebuilt the carbs and have been tryin to get them runnin right ever since in my spare time. Was in here lookin for help and I amazingly have this Sunday off work too! :D Was also wonderin if you can accomodate special needs too. I was wonderin if you have a handicapped ramp so I can get it off the back of my pick-up. :wink:

6. fwright625

fwright625 Member

Okay, what time are you talikng... I'll be in DeKalb on the 23 (Class reunioin), back to Chicago early on the 24 for work but should be done around noon. You could pm me back with the info.

Fred

7. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Anything specific folks should bring along?

8. LazyBeerNutz

LazyBeerNutz Member

Tools: I have a 12 and 14mm colortune and I'm heading to my favorite local shop today to borrow possibly two manometers. I have a decent set of tools in the garage (not mechanic worthy by any means but it gets me through) so if you can think of anything you're welcome to bring it.

I do not have an auxiliary fuel supply tank for when the main tank is off, so if someone can either recommend one or bring one that would be great.

9. wraith0078

wraith0078 Member

I ain't gonna make it. I found this this morning...

[​IMG]

10. LazyBeerNutz

LazyBeerNutz Member

It's never too late to ask about showing up. I'll send you a PM with the address and some basic directions to get here.

As for the ramp, I have a couple of 2x6's or 2x12's that should work in a pinch. Special needs bikes are always welcome at my place. Just so you know, from Michigan you're probably looking at a 3 hour drive to get out here. Not trying to dissuade you at all, just letting you know.

11. Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt New Member

I figured it'd be about 2 hours, bur you're probably closer. Upon further thought I'm not sure I trust my '89 pickup enough to know I'd not have to abandon it AND my new '82 Maxim on the interstate :( Thanks for the invite, but I think I'll double check my float levels tomorrow at home. It seems to start and run great for a while, but after I shut it down for an hour or so it seems to be flooding when I start it again. Think I'll try to check the new float seats too. Wish me luck, this is my first bike in 20 years and thank god for books and this great forum site :lol:

12. LazyBeerNutz

LazyBeerNutz Member

Thunderbolt - Sorry to hear your not coming. For those that may still be, I did manage to acquire a genuine bonafide Yamaha YICS tool from my local dealer as well as a set of mercury gauges. The more tools the merrier so anything else anyone wants to bring is fine with me. Supposed to be a nice day tomorrow.

Just a question, Is there anyone who is thinking of coming that hasn't PM'd me yet for directions? I'll check the website one more time tonight before I go to bed, so if anyone is still interested, it's not to late to get directions.

Also, what time are people thinking of showing up? I know the guys from Milwaukee have quite a drive so I was just trying to get a rough estimate.

Cya tomorrow!!

13. jswag5

jswag5 Member

having brake issues bad now, just bought a caliper from the local salvage shop, having trouble cleaning it up(it has been sitting in a greasy oily mess for close to 10 years). hope ya'll have a great time and get them tuned to perfection. If i get the brake issues fixed tonight i may still ride on up an give an extra set of hands.

14. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

We're meeting up at around 7:00 and heading right out. Google Maps says it should be about 3hrs (off the freeway) so we should be there right on time!

15. 82XJ

82XJ Member

Really upset I didn't get to make it to this... How did it go?

16. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

It went great! Ike and I had a great ride down (somewhat improvised) and a great ride back (a bit more improvised), and in between we got my 550 all sync'd up, new float bowl gaskets in Ike's 750, the YICS tool stuck in an engine (temporarily), rear signals removed, saddlebags on backwards (also, temporarily), front wheel removed, gas tanks test fitted, etc.

A good time was had...

Sh!t was shot...

Bikes were ridden...

I'd call it a success.

17. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Late to the party and couldn't have made it anyway due to a wedding to attend, but I'm glad to hear this came together. I have to pay closer attention to the boards when I'm NOT having problems.

For future reference, I've got a YICS, Colortune, and if anyone's feeling frisky and wants to check valve clearances I have the holder tool and a few shims. Even if I can't make the next clinic I can meet up with someone to loan my tools.

18. CharlesCollins

CharlesCollins Member

Sign me up for that one too... We did do much work "north" of the carbs. Mostly because we didn't have enough experience in the room to guarantee we Milwaukeans wouldn't be stuck in smelly ol' Illinois ;). Plus it was Sunday, and all of the local garages were closed. Next time, more folks, and more experienced folks, and we should try for a Saturday. I'd definitely make to ride down again! (with approval from the Finance, Travel, and Planning Committee, of course)

19. IkeO

IkeO Member

thanks again for hosting beernutz. had great fun. you would have gotten a kick out of me and charles leaving dekalb. we ran on pure intuition to actually get out of ILL in one piece. heres a good example of one of the shenanigans me and charles got into on the way home.

Ike (driving the back roads in deep thought, distracted by the prospect of being horribly horribly lost)

After a few minutes looks into his side mirror. wheres charles? holy @#!

Pulls over, charles comes riding up from the distance.

ike says "whats wrong"

charles, "your side cover flew off dude"

ike "what! where?"

charles "like a mile back!"

ike !@#!@#!!!!!!

thanks for actually remembering where it was and actually finding it amongst the empty blue miller lite cans in the tall grass alongside the back roads of IL. (for shame Illinoisans!)

had fun. we'll do it again sometime