1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vintage Yamaha sighting

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ItsMikey, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

Hello all, spotted a older, shaft drive Yamaha coming off of W/B I-94 onto Southfield freeway this morning about 8:30 AM. He turned off before I could get beside him (or her). Anybody from here?

2. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

I was going to say we all ride vitage Yammies.
    :lol:

3. shogunl

shogunl Member

Yeah I have to agree with hound.
    If someone told me that I would be riding 26 years old MC a couple of years back I would have called him/her a liar 10 different ways.
    Now I can't believe how well this thing runs.

4. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

HaHa guys. I have 2 vintage XJs. I just am not used to seeing them outside of my garage unless it is mine and I'm riding it. I do field service and am on the road all the time. This is the 1st time I have seen am older XJ or XS out there. It was just nice to see someone else enjoying one of these great machines. That, and I was hoping to meet someone in my area from this great site. If either of you is ever in the Detroit area....
    Mike

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Vintage!
    And, ... what a good year it was for motorcycles; 1983.
    I love this old bike.

If only, ...

If only Yamaha would have one of it Marketing types surf the web and see how many Members we have and to what lengths we go to keep our Bikes looking and running good ... maybe they'd get the IDEA that these are POPULAR Bikes!

Then, ... maybe it wouldn't be too much trouble for YAMAHA to design a Fuel Injected Model and stick a few of them in Showrooms and watch us show-up to buy a new one.

There are darn few Bikes I'd trade my Maxim for.
    I don't want a Bullet Bike
    I don't want a Heavy V-Twin
    I don't want an over-powered V-4 (But wouldn't mind test driving one for a few days)

I do want my Max.
    I wish it was Fuel Injected
    I wish it was a 6-Speed
    I'd like Instrumentation that tells the truth and records speeds above 80.

I'll be one of the first to buy a new one if they ever get produced.

6. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    not me but i know the area...

i get my cast off thursday and then i get to start repairing the seca. got the handlebars in the mail today. i still need headlight trim, headlight mounting bracket and then dig into the instrument closter to see why there are no idiot lights, speedo or tach...

7. shogunl

shogunl Member

Warren MI hmmm....
    I go to Pontiac quite often since I have a family living there.
    I go to Port Huron and then take M-59 in. I do have to say I didn't see too many xjs in the area

8. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

Yamaha will never do that. They learned their lesson from our bikes. They last too darn long! This site is rapidly approaching 4000 members. The XS11 site, which I also belong to, is well past 4000 members. From all over the world.

It will be interesting to see how many of todays bikes will still be around in 25 years, and what type of following they will have then.

9. ItsMikey

ItsMikey Member

Shogunl, I am up and down M-59 almost daily. But in my work van, not on the bike. I also am in Port Huron occasionally. Nice area.

Lt. Dave, one of these days I would like to meet up with some of the Michigan XJers for a ride. There seems to be more and more Michigan people on the boards. Of course, any of our friends from across the border, or anywhere else for that matter, would be welcome .
    Regards, Mike(y)

10. anthrhelping

anthrhelping Member

I drive I 94 daily but not that far west I stay about 30 miles east of you. But it is nice to see I am not the only crazy one driving and 28 year old bike down the interstate.

11. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

I got my cast off a week ago Friday, two more weeks of this walking brace and I should be riding.
    Can't wait :!:
    :D

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I run I-94 in from Richmond to downtown Detroit very day (come down M19 from Emmett) but only ride to work occasionally. Lt. Dave and I live in an area that is really great for riding ("gateway" to the thumb and all) plus easily accessible from Canadia. SE MI get together should be quite feasible.

13. Gunhand

Gunhand New Member

I just joined in, picked up an 85 XJ700 from a guy in Gladwin today. I'm Downriver. There are some administrative issues to take care of but I will be riding soon. Keep me posted on the rides and when to get together, I'll be in as soon as it's registered.