1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 street fighter Project, "pic heavy"... Finally DONE!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by low-1-5-0, Dec 31, 2006.

1. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

yep!

2. Ease

Ease Member

Re: XJ550 street fighter Project, "pic heavy"... Finally DON

OK, forgive me for doing this but this is pretty insane...

That's quite the transformation...

3. matthawkinson

matthawkinson Member

mines gonna be a big transformation too low had A LOT of really good ideas i might have to steal some of them.

4. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

thanks....

no prob, anything I can do or answer let me know...

5. hickslawns

hickslawns New Member

Very impressive! Wish I had time to ride my bikes let alone modify them.

6. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

thanks... that's why it took me so long to finish this... one thing about Newfoundland though is the weather and winters here supply ample time for tinkering :roll: :D

7. pmsugar

pmsugar New Member

Need some advice, I just bought an xj 550 maxim and the guy I bought it from put on new relay lights and he believes they are too powerful and keep blowing the relay switch. The lights work but the blinkers do not. Also when the bike is started the brake light stays on. Do you think the wiring is all messed up.

Next the carb boots need to be replaced as they are all cracked.

The bike starts and sounds good although I usually have to start it at full choke and then turn the choke to the right a bit but the bike will stall alot while riding especially if coming to a full start.

Is this the wiring problem that could be draining on the batter or could this all be due to the boots. Please help.

This is my first bike as I am a girl and my husband is just going to start teaching me how to ride. Just a little dissapointed at how it is stalling and having a hard time starting at times.

8. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

As for the stalling and such, I'm thinking a good carb cleaning is in order,
    Hard starting and such usually means clogged enrichment circuit and/or pilot jets.

The wiring, sound a little messed up, get both fixed before proceeding too far...

9. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

+1...

10. pmsugar

pmsugar New Member

Thank you!!

11. Mixam

Mixam Member

Looks awesome man! It's inspiring to see this done at last... I like your idea with the filler cap on the tank. I'm thinking of getting a cbr tank for mine and cutting the top off it and welding it to my current tank so I can have the same filling position as the cover. Plus more fuel capacity lol.

Glad to see you got it all done. Now all I have to do is finish mine. Still got lots of parts to make/order. I like the fact that you did the master cylinder swap to a newer one. I was thinking of doing the same thing so I could throw on some clip-on bars. I might decide to scrap my kawasaki rear faring and get an r1 rear section. Just wont be so cheap for the parts haha.

I see in another thread someone is planning a swingarm swap for a gs 1100, which looks interesting to say the least.

Anyway, it looks awesome, it's amazing how many changes took place in the whole process. I think it turned out the best!

12. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

low - man I just ran across this tread to day and spent the last hour +/_ reading the whole thing & looking at your great pics. Buddy that is an amazing transition & beautifully done as well. If you are not doing this kind of thing for a living I believe you ought to change vocations. Iit is awsome & you should be proud of what you have accomplished.

Gregg

13. schooter

schooter Active Member

hey what did you use to cap your collecter? cuz i want something not permanent, cuz my uncle bought a gsxr with a full yoshi exhaust, and it came with the stock exhaust, and i may want to try and slip it on, and its for a 600 so i figured the back pressure ought to be good enough and such, i was thinking if just using a hose clamp and a pop bottle just to try it.

14. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

piece of exhaust pipe with a large washer welded to the end... then used the stock chrome exhaust clamp to hold it in place...

15. captrobb

captrobb Member

Time to ressurect this thread simply because I am in love with this bike and am going to be following it as a template for my xj1100.

My question...if this builder is still here...is what happened to the pics of the pie cut on the frame? They don't show. Same thing with the subframe support section...no pics showing up, only red x's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS...I LOVE this bike!!